PDA

View Full Version : Composite buffer export and XY motion vectors

oxicus
05-28-2012, 04:41 PM
So, Im trying to get a pipeline going here, Im using LW11, we have the newest version of Butterfly Net Render, and finishing with fusion. The problem Im running into is that it seems like the composite buffer export doesnt work on butterfly? If its set to "destination: image file" and I do an F9, it will save all the buffers I have selected to the folder that I told it to. But when I put it on Butterfly, it only renders the main output. Any thoughts?

The second thing is XY motion vectors. Ive searched both of these problems all day, and couldnt find anything. Everything I found was using RSMB, but we dont have that. With the frames that it did render with the F9, I was messing with it in Fusion, and I set the X to a green tint, Y to red tint, then overlayed them with a merge and piped that into the motion vector blur node. I set it to the appropriate colors and it seemed to do what I expected, but I cant tell cause i cant render the sequence and get buffers. Is that the way one would do it in fusion? Thanks in advance

Lightwolf
05-29-2012, 02:53 AM
Fusion work perfectly (as far as LW exports the vectors that is) with the native buffers. You may need to flip them, but that's something you can do in the vector blur node in Fusion.

Cheers,
Mike

oxicus
05-29-2012, 09:03 AM
Fusion work perfectly (as far as LW exports the vectors that is) with the native buffers. You may need to flip them, but that's something you can do in the vector blur node in Fusion.

Cheers,
Mike

Thanks for the reply. Im still confused though, how exactly are they used? the X and Y motion images, i saved them as a 32 bit floating tiff, are black and white. when i try using them in the vector blur node as x and y vectors, nothing seems to happen. its not until i color them red and green and have the blur node look at colors instead of vectors do i seem to get them to blur. even then, how do you combine the two vector images? its frustrating because ive been looking for this solution for a LONG time but could never find ANYONE who actually uses the native motion vectors, everyone seems to use openexr trader and rsmb, which are both great, but budget is tight on this project so buying all those licenses adds up, plus i like knowing i dont have to rely on pugins to get the job done.

But anyway, thanks for the insight, i do appreciate it.

Lightwolf
05-29-2012, 09:09 AM
Thanks for the reply. Im still confused though, how exactly are they used? the X and Y motion images, i saved them as a 32 bit floating tiff, are black and white. when i try using them in the vector blur node as x and y vectors, nothing seems to happen. its not until i color them red and green and have the blur node look at colors instead of vectors do i seem to get them to blur. even then, how do you combine the two vector images? its frustrating because ive been looking for this solution for a LONG time but could never find ANYONE who actually uses the native motion vectors, everyone seems to use openexr trader and rsmb, which are both great, but budget is tight on this project so buying all those licenses adds up, plus i like knowing i dont have to rely on pugins to get the job done.

But anyway, thanks for the insight, i do appreciate it.
Channel Booleans in Fusion is what I tend to use... which allows you to add the vectors to a loaded image.
That is, obviously, if I don't use exrTrader... ;)

Cheers,
Mike

Greenlaw
05-29-2012, 09:00 PM
Mike is being modest. If you have Fusion, get exrTrader and be done with it. :)

With exrTrader you can embed the X,Y motion data into the same file with your RGBA (along with other useful channels,) and Fusion's Vector Blur tool will read it automatically. I highly recommend it.

G.

3DGFXStudios
05-30-2012, 05:16 AM
I highly recommend it too!