PDA

View Full Version : UV Mapping a Cylinder

Tony3d
05-28-2012, 11:11 AM
Trying to UV map a wire Mesh around the outside of a cylinder, and at the "Y" centerline the mesh doesn't quite lineup. It's slightly thicker. If I try to stretch it it either to thick or to thin. How can I fix this?

probiner
05-28-2012, 11:17 AM
Please don't take this as a troll move. But it's painful how sometimes ppl ask for help giving so little info to aid others to visualize the puzzle.

Cheers

Tony3d
05-28-2012, 11:37 AM
In the car right now. I'll post a picture when I get home. Basically it's just a texture of a square mesh that when wrapped around a cylinder does not meet up correctly.

Tony3d
05-28-2012, 12:43 PM
OK, Here is the problem. See the larger squares? If I use the stretch Tool I can't make it perfect. What can I do?

gerry_g
05-28-2012, 12:51 PM
It's the texture that you need to adjust not the mesh as the uv creatiion process automatically maxes it out to all the edges of uv space and is therefor seamless, go make your textur seamless in photoshop

Tony3d
05-28-2012, 12:59 PM
Ok, thanks. I'm new to UV mapping, and not quite sure how to make it seamless to the pixel. Can you maybe tell me how that's done?

JoePoe
05-28-2012, 01:02 PM
Tony,

R u 100% sure the image is tileable? Did you use offset in Photoshop to make sure. Seems like it isn't.

Also, is the UV type linear?

Tony3d
05-28-2012, 01:08 PM
Tony,

R u 100% sure the image is tileable? Did you use offset in Photoshop to make sure. Seems like it isn't.

If it isn't, are you solely using the mouse to stretch? Try numeric panel for a finer touch.... fractions of a percentage in the desired direction.

Also, is the UV type linear?

Yes, the UV type is linear, but the image I made is probably not seamless. I don't have photoshop, but I do have Pixelmator. Really not sure how I can make it seamless. Kinda new to UV mapping.

JoePoe
05-28-2012, 01:27 PM
I have no experience with Pixelmator, sorry. Time to ask mr google :)

Also, about that suggestion about the numeric panel. I meant under the Map tab> transform UVs.... not in the regular numeric panel which only effects XYZ directions.

That might work in this particular case because the image is a square grid.

Image 1: not quite right....
Image 2: 99.25% stretch in U only.

gerry_g
05-28-2012, 01:30 PM
1 – if you use numeric input in uv space you will move the mesh too, numerics are out in uv space as far as LW goes.

2 – seamless texture just means that the left hand should match up seamlessly with the right hand edge of the texture and top with bottom the same, so if the left hand side of you texture started exactly half way into one of the vertical white bars in your texture and finished exactly half way through one the same way on the right hand side it would be seamless.

probiner
05-28-2012, 01:31 PM
Why not use 2D Grid node?
Dial in the number of U and V Tiles you need... Tada... :D

Just make sure the UV sides are proportional if you use this.

Cheers

JoePoe
05-28-2012, 01:42 PM
1 if you use numeric input in uv space you will move the mesh too, numerics are out in uv space as far as LW goes.

See my second post. You CAN use numeric input if you desire.

And, of course..... the grid nodes. :D

Tony3d
05-29-2012, 07:53 AM
Just wanted to thank everyone for there input. To make it simple right now, I just went with adjusting it numerically in the transform uv panel.