PDA

View Full Version : Spinning Debris

circleofsmoke
05-28-2012, 08:07 AM
Hi Trying to get my head round bullet to use it to create a spinning debris field animation around a shattered satellite (zero g).

creates very good rubble interaction but it obviously spins off into the distance -

can anyone suggest a way to get the rubble to tumble as it orbits?

also notice that even though the rubble is set to be a parts some of it changes direction and heads for the door even though "it" hasnt collided with anything, is that settings or bullet limitations?

circleofsmoke
05-28-2012, 08:46 AM
Just looked at the rayfire plug-in, why cant we do that in lightwave :-(

RebelHill
05-28-2012, 09:51 AM
Im not sure Id use bullet for that kind of thing tbh... its all about dynamic interactions. Maybe you should have a go with something like flock, or particles and use instances.

circleofsmoke
05-28-2012, 11:15 AM
Hmm hadnt thought of flocking or instancing - havent tried them out yet - thanks

SplineGod
05-28-2012, 02:32 PM
You might also use hardfx to break up the object and a wind emitter to pull it into an orbit.
I believe hardfx has controls for making the parts rotate.

circleofsmoke
05-29-2012, 02:42 AM
will any of this deal with collisions? or am I going to have to split different aspects/fx tasks up? I'd ideally like orbiting irregular shaped rubble colliding / interacting in a believable way

prometheus
05-29-2012, 06:36 AM
will any of this deal with collisions? or am I going to have to split different aspects/fx tasks up? I'd ideally like orbiting irregular shaped rubble colliding / interacting in a believable way

Think that might be quite tricky, for full realistic collisions you would want bullet, but that is limited to not working with particles I think, hard fx and fx linking perhaps, you should be able to use self collisions, but only with sphere and box boundings, and it wont collide as realistic either.

Michael

RebelHill
05-29-2012, 06:48 AM
So you're wanting this floaty, orbit like cloud of stuff, but wanting all that to intercollide, etc, etc...

Yeah, that's gonna be tricky. i think the closest option you're gonna get in LW is gonna be with the regular old particle system. Setup wind to make the things orbit, use varied weight/resistance across each particle, and get collisions between particles going to make them knoick into each other, then FXlink (or better instance) your debris parts to them.

raw-m
05-29-2012, 10:11 AM
Excuse the hijack as I'm doing something similar!

I'm using Instances with an FX Emitter. On the Emitter/Particle tab, I've selected Show Size and Output size. Using Particle Size with some variation I've got everything how I want them, for now. Adding an Instance Generator, how can I get my objects to follow the scaling of the Particle Sizes? I can only marry up the position and rotations.

RebelHill
05-29-2012, 10:20 AM
use nodal on the instance panel, get DPkit, particle info, plug size into scale (probs with a multiplier inbetween.)

Edit; Actually... nope, no need to do that even. Just make sure to check "output size" on the emitter and the instances will scale to the particle size automagically.

raw-m
05-29-2012, 10:28 AM
Thanks RebelHill, it worked but only if the Mode is set to Uniform in the Scale tab (I had it set to random and nothing was changing). Thought the nodes would override this so it pays to check everything. Thanks again :D