PDA

View Full Version : Depth Pass Assistance

BlueApple
05-25-2012, 10:11 AM
I am using Render Buffer Export to get a depth pass out of Layout. I noticed that the gray gradient on my ground plane shifted during the animation, though it did not move. This is because I have other elements that do move during the animation, and these items are sometimes seen by the camera and at other times not.

Is there a way to fix the maximum distance? I have tried placing nulls and geometry off camera, but neither get used for the depth calculation. My goal is to add something to the scene that defines the max distance from the camera, but does not render.

Any thoughts?

BlueApple
05-25-2012, 12:15 PM
Here is an additional image to illustrate what I am seeing.

I have a ground plane and two spheres in the below, three frame animation. I am only showing the depth render. As the sphere near us (black) translates to our left, it hides the distant sphere (white). The distant sphere is the furthest thing away from the camera at this point. As soon as the distant sphere is completely hidden from the camera's view, the back edge of the ground plane is treated as the furthest point in Z-space instead of the distant sphere. This causes a big jump, most noticeable in this example with the ground plane.

BlueApple
05-25-2012, 12:34 PM
It looks like the Depth Limiter plugin from db&w is going to be saving me a lot of heart ache here. Thanks for the generous plugin, folks.

toby
05-27-2012, 12:10 AM
In Render Globals, Render tab, there's an option for Z depth min and max.

BlueApple
05-27-2012, 10:45 AM
toby,

Thank you for pointing out what was right in front of my face. For ten years I have unchecked "Render Lines" on that tab and not looked at anything south of the check box.

Next someone will tell me that LW ships with a cylinder primitive preset :)