PDA

View Full Version : is the toaster right for me?

Tosk
03-03-2003, 08:02 AM
Hi!
I need to set up a mobile wireless station (like a small truck wirelessly connected to my cameras) to produce videos of sport events, i need to have 4-5 (or even more) cameras on my system, switch from the cameras, and record the output on the pc and on an external recorder (dv or betacam) while giving my output signal to the other company that makes the live broadcasting.

I think the VT is the right choice, if...

Can i view all my cameras in real time on my monitor and switch instantly form one to another?

And in the same time can i record locally my output?

If one of the wireless cameras looses it's connection can i insert the missing part and produce (no more live) a new tape? (the video is also recorded locally on the camera)

And finally how mutch HD space is required for 2-3 hours of recording? (uncompressed but probably i can also live with compression...)

Tnx a lot :)

Fabrizio.

Jim Capillo
03-03-2003, 08:20 AM
Well, I'll take a crack at this.........

You'll have to loop your camera signals thru dedicated camera monitors before the Toaster. That way you'll be able to see the cameras all the time.

You can locally record the output either by external recorder or the NLE.

You can replace the errors in the program if you record to the HD's, edit them then output to tape.

I have (4) 40 gb IDE HD's and I get just over 2 hours uncompressed

Good luck!

Tosk
03-03-2003, 08:24 AM
Just one more thing...
All the external cameras needs to be synced with a tcb.
Someone sayd me that the VT only has 2 tbcs for incoming signals, is it true?
If yes, are the tbc dynamically assigned to the choosen camera(s)?
Does it affect the smoothness of the switching when changing the tbc to the choosen camera and putting it live very fast?
How it works exactly? I am missing somthing? :D

Double Tnx

Fabrizio

Faraz
03-03-2003, 12:45 PM
You don't need TBC's for yoru camera's. You can hook-up up to 24 composite, 8- Y/C, or 8 component. Without a TBC. IF you genlock all your cameras then your will bring the delay down and if you get the genlock card it will bring down the delay even further.