PDA

View Full Version : Rendering raw images for photoshop editing

Dreamcube017
05-25-2012, 01:41 AM
Hey guys.

I just rendered out an image from lightwave and saved it out as a 32 bit EXR file... well that and a few other file types I found to be lossless)

Now I don't know a lot about this end of things, so I figured I'd just drop it into photoshop and I could have all sorts of advanced editing options for color and exposure and thigns like that because it was a 32 bit image... but Photoshop just opened it up normally... or maybe I'm just not looking at the right thing.

If it's a 32 bit image, will all of the effects and filters apply with more details or will it just treat it like a normal jpg in 8bit color?

This is one of those times I wish Lightwave would take a hint from Modo and give you the option to do color correction and stuff RIGHT after you render in the same program.

I'm just basically trying to do something like what you can do in Modo right after rendering. I found something called Image Controls in the LW Picture Viewer, but that didn't do much.

I did notice that when I export an HDR or EXR, the picture comes into photoshop brighter.

Your guidance is much appreciated. Thanks.

Waves of light
05-25-2012, 03:04 AM
I know that brighter pictures when viewed in other packages after export is usually to do with Colour Space settings. In layout Press D and see what your settings are in the CS tab. I use the Quick Presets 'sRGB' settings.

gerardstrada
05-25-2012, 03:53 AM
When saving in a full floating point (FP) format set the output gamma to linear. When PS open a FP image, it will assign - on the fly - a linear version of the working color space that it's using. Then, it applies a LUT to show you the image accordingly with the non-linear version of the working color space. Notice that many filters don't work at 32-bpc in PS. In such case you might want to rely on AFX, Fusion or any other compositing package.

Btw, a wide range of color corrections can be made within LW through DP Image Filter Node Editor (http://dpont.pagesperso-orange.fr/plugins/nodes/DP_Filter.html#NodeImgFilt):

http://s15.postimage.org/go8i5fqu1/IFNEcc.png

For more ideas you might want to take a look at this thread (http://www.spinquad.com/forums/showthread.php?19309-New-options-for-Render-Management&p=267718&viewfull=1#post267718). There's a lot of more things we can do with regard to color grading within DP FNE (http://dpont.pagesperso-orange.fr/plugins/nodes/DP_Filter.html). Hope to share some new things soon.

Gerardo

Serling
05-25-2012, 11:38 PM
Hey guys.

I just rendered out an image from lightwave and saved it out as a 32 bit EXR file... well that and a few other file types I found to be lossless)

Now I don't know a lot about this end of things, so I figured I'd just drop it into photoshop and I could have all sorts of advanced editing options for color and exposure and thigns like that because it was a 32 bit image... but Photoshop just opened it up normally... or maybe I'm just not looking at the right thing.

If it's a 32 bit image, will all of the effects and filters apply with more details or will it just treat it like a normal jpg in 8bit color?

This is one of those times I wish Lightwave would take a hint from Modo and give you the option to do color correction and stuff RIGHT after you render in the same program.

I'm just basically trying to do something like what you can do in Modo right after rendering. I found something called Image Controls in the LW Picture Viewer, but that didn't do much.

I did notice that when I export an HDR or EXR, the picture comes into photoshop brighter.

Your guidance is much appreciated. Thanks.

A 32-bit image is a 24-bit image with the extra 8-bits serving as the alpha (transparency) channel. If you're looking to adjust the image in PhotoShop, you can find those adjustments under the Image>Adjustments menu. Or you can apply an Adjustment Layer (Layer>New Adjustment Layer menu) and tweak it with that. If you use the former method, make a duplicate layer to work on, otherwise you may screw up your original beyond recovery (at which point, re-render out of Layout).

Using Adjustment Layers is non-destructive and you can tweak each adjustment layer you add as needed to affect the overall look, while still preserving your original image, just in case. :thumbsup:

gerardstrada
05-26-2012, 01:43 AM
The correct term in this case would be 32-bpc. But if you are referring to a 32-bit EXR as you did, and since there's no 8-bpc EXRs, we can clearly assume you are referring to the full FP EXR format. If the format is not EXR, then the image is probably not FP, just 32-bits.

Gerardo

DrStrik9
05-26-2012, 04:08 PM
As I understand it, a "24-bit" image is actually 8-bits (256 shades) per channel. (8 bits x 3 channels = 24 bits). If there's an alpha channel, then it's 8 x 4, or 32-bits.

A floating point EXR is actually 32-bits PER CHANNEL, so it's a 96-bit image (3 x 32 = 96). If there's an alpha channel it's 32 x 4, or 128-bits.

In Photoshop (still CS5 here), not all editing capabilities work on a 32-bit/Channel image. To convert an FP EXR to 8-bit/Channel, choose Image : Mode : 8-bits/Channel. A number of controls appear at this point that will allow a far better looking image this way than just saving a straight 8-bit/Channel image from LW.

gerardstrada
05-26-2012, 11:20 PM
What happens is that people utilize the n-bits term in an interchangeable way. The n-bpc expression is clearer, I think.

Btw, many filters can be used in 16-bpc space in PS CS5/5.5. It's worth to try depending on what you need to do.

For working in FP space is currently better try to switch to a compositing package instead. i.e. if PS is familiar for you, perhaps you might want try After Effects for all the RGB work. The most (if not more) of the filters/FX available in PS are also available (or substitutable) in AFX and it comes with a bundled copy of Color Finesse LE now.

Gerardo