PDA

View Full Version : VSE Input A and Input B issues

Cody
05-24-2012, 01:29 PM
I was wondering if anyone else has run into this. When I create a set in Photoshop and bring it over to Virtual Set Editor and press it out as a set to use in either the TriCaster 450 extreme or TriCaster 850. There is a thin line that appears on the edge of the Input A and Input B area. It only appears for me on the bottom and right sides of the input boxes. It appears to be only a pixel wide. This happens on any .psd set I bring in to VSE to use as a set, no matter the site of the Input A or Input b boxes. Also it is not a stagnant line either it will move accruing to the movement in side the Input, miring if you will. I have attached a still of an example of what I am seeing you can see it inside the circled area. I have also tried cropping the edges but the line appears to be on the outside of the cropping area.

Sincerely,
Confused

SBowie
05-24-2012, 02:04 PM
I'm guessing you must have started out with some screengrabs, and then added an input source above these in Photoshop?

Anyway, the thought amongst those in the know here was that you might do well to make your input rectangle a bit larger, and crop a bit in the Input Configuration panel. - You mention having tried cropping, but it's not clear whether you mean cropping in the Live Desktop or perhaps in Photoshop.

Cody
05-24-2012, 02:58 PM
Thanks for the quick reply. I have tried the cropping in the tricaster in the live desktop. It does not effect the outcome of the line. Yes I did use screen grabs of the live set. I also have tried larger and smaller rectangles for the Inputs and it does not matter, i still get the same result.

SBowie
05-24-2012, 04:55 PM
I'll make some inquiries. It might be helpful if you were able to supply a sample PSD for examination that, when compiled in VSE, produces this issue.

joseburgos
05-25-2012, 04:59 AM
Do you have the latest version of VSE?
What is the bit rate of the Photoshop project?

Cody
05-29-2012, 10:12 AM
I do have the latest version of VSE and the bit rate is at 8 bit. I will talk to my boss and see if I can post the .PSD file to you, I will let you know soon enough.

joseburgos
05-29-2012, 10:22 AM
8 bit is too low must be 16 bit or higher

Cody
05-29-2012, 10:27 AM
Really, my mistake, I was following the PSD guideline for VSE Print out and it says "Limitations on using Photoshop files as Live Sets: Projects must be 8-bit." I will try and create A 16 bit version and see if that makes a differance. Thanks for the input, thats probablly what it is.

Sincerely,
Confused

Eric Pratt
05-30-2012, 11:17 AM
The problem is that your edge is being antialiased creating a new pixel color which is in the middle of the A Source.
Imagine if you will two pixels next to each other, a black and a white, and then you scaled them down, you would get a gray of some sort.
The bottom boundary of the raw gradient is green 255, but you have averaged it through manipulation in photoshop with black (Alpha 255 probably) creating green 128 (Alpha 128, not that it matters). Green 128 is in the vertical middle of the raw gradient creating a line along the bottom that thinks it's in the middle and is consequently showing the middle of the video.
The easiest solution is the crop off the bottom row of pixels.
This advice applies to the 16 bit method, the 8 bit method figures out where your gradient is by alpha channel boundaries. But that was pre VSE 1.5 which uses 16 bit images.
At least that's what it looks like to me.

SBowie
05-30-2012, 12:16 PM
Really, my mistake, I was following the PSD guideline for VSE Print out and it says "Limitations on using Photoshop files as Live Sets: Projects must be 8-bit."Where exactly are you seeing that, please? I can't find that statement anywhere in either old or new documentation.

primated
11-13-2012, 11:51 AM
@Steve, look at page 34 under image under figure 49 in the hint box.
I realize that this is an old post.

SBowie
11-13-2012, 01:22 PM
I looked back to versions of the VSE manual dating back more than a year and a half, and can't find that reference. I suspect you are looking at an outdated version from somewhere. (If it's in the current installer for 1.5, that's a bug).

The manuals installed locally on TriCaster are always updated at the time of any release. The QR code(s) in various software always hit the most very recent release of docs, which may at times be newer than what's in the software. I see that the one linked from Support>Documentation on the website is apparently an outdated version 1.5 manual, but it seems to be new enough not to refer to 8it PSDs. I'll talk to support about replacing that with the active 1.5 pdf.

primated
11-13-2012, 02:29 PM
This manual has a release date of Oct 3rd, 2012 for VSE 2.0. We're awaiting delivery of our first Tricaster, so I've been reading everything I can. I just finished reading this manual.

SBowie
11-16-2012, 10:39 AM
@Steve, look at page 34 under image under figure 49 in the hint box.
I realize that this is an old post.In the manual you posted, it says this at the location you pointed out:

The Photoshop project must be 16bit color depth (or 32bit) when you load the .exr file (save the final layered PSD in the same color depth to preserve your transformations and distortions accurately).

It does mention below that that you can use 8 bit when you're not using the .exr files as sources (if this has changed, I've not been informed of it, but admittedly there can be some trials involved with set generation). I don't know how anything on the page might be interpreted as "Limitations on using Photoshop files as Live Sets: Projects must be 8-bit." though. Surely that quote must have come from somewhere?

p.s., the initial release version manual is dated Oct. 29th. I'll see about getting it onto the support>documents webpage.

Mitch Jacobson
11-24-2012, 10:10 AM
I too, have been experiencing this problem with VSE 1.5 and the 855 and 455. It is not antialiasing or 16bit or photoshop but seems to be a compiler problem withing VSE. The best workaround so far is to make your Input A and Input B layers in photoshop FULL FRAME. Use VSE or Liveset to manually resize your layer. This worked for me and previously impaired PSD sets now work correctly in Tricaster. I hope this helps! Thanks to Rex Olson for his attention to this detail and advise.

Mitch Jacobson

SBowie
11-24-2012, 11:01 AM
It is not antialiasing or 16bit or photoshop but seems to be a compiler problem withing VSE. The best workaround so far is to make your Input A and Input B layers in photoshop FULL FRAME.It's entirely possible that you've encountered something just as you describe. It is, however, equally true that the things Eric and others have described can (and have at times) have similar results.