PDA

View Full Version : Baking Problem

daz1761
05-24-2012, 10:43 AM
I've just baked a few items ready to move over to my bigger computer to render, and my main sphere that does most of the dynamic work has lost its insides after activating MD reader. Its insides are 4 little spheres and they are parented to the main sphere and have followed this throughout all the bullet calculations, until now. I have attached a picture to explain.

Many thanks

RebelHill
05-24-2012, 10:46 AM
You asked this already...

You CANT parent to a displacing mesh, cos the mesh isnt actually moving.

daz1761
05-24-2012, 11:12 AM
Sorry, yes I have installed the plugin but im struggling to follow your instructions. I have got this far...

daz1761
05-24-2012, 11:55 AM
I've got this far, but its not quite there...

SplineGod
05-24-2012, 07:12 PM
You could MDScan the whole scene or use this plugin or as I said, use editfx to extract a motion path and null off one of the points. :) Editfx is part of LW.

RebelHill
05-25-2012, 02:36 AM
Actually yeah... if you're having that much trouble, you'd probs just find it easiest to MDbake the parented balls too, and forget about the parenting. But otherwise the node setup you've got should be just about it, though you want wpos not opos.

daz1761
05-25-2012, 02:36 AM
Thanks for replying, yes I'm desperate now to finish this scene, everything is baked just how I want it so I won't be changing anything, and yes I have the mdd file for the parent sphere. I've tried the nodel stuff and I can't get it to play ball. Could you please explain how because im still not to sure what you mean. my main sphere starts at frame 220 (dynamics) and ends at frame 900 using md reader. Its on layer 1, and the 4 small spheres are on layer 2. Many thanks!

daz1761
05-25-2012, 02:40 AM
Sorry rebilhill, only just seen your reply. I'll just check the connections and swap them round. So, do you mean export an mdd for the actual parented balls, after the parent ball has been calculated? Yeah, the dp node is doing something but the 4 small spheres are lagging behind like mad. In fact if you scrub back it just gets stuck in my glass half pipe tube.

RebelHill
05-25-2012, 02:49 AM
Yes... I mean jsut bake EVERYTHING down to MDD... that's the quick solution.

Otherwise for the nodal constraint...

Add a null, give it node motion modifier, in the editor take point info (like you have) make sure the object point info looks at is the main sphere... connect world position to position, world rotation to rotation, the null should now be stuck to your MDD deforming ball.

Parent the other balls to this null, position them to taste, done.

RebelHill
05-25-2012, 02:59 AM
This is a morf not an MDD, but its basically the same... displacement is displacement. Takes all of 30 seconds to setup... far quicker than either baking the extra stuff or using edit fx.

daz1761
05-25-2012, 03:11 AM
Nice one :)

I've just opened your file and the null stays there perfectly still, will try it right away and let you know what happens. But I see what you mean, a displacement is a displacement from morphing to dynamics.

RebelHill
05-25-2012, 03:18 AM
what?!

Ok... somethings screwy on your LW end then... wonder if maybe its a bug with mac version.

daz1761
05-25-2012, 03:38 AM
Im so sorry, wrong choice of words, i meant it stays attached to the mesh nicely. Its a lot better but my 4 spheres are all over the place as the null doesnt seem to follow the points very well. I'm just wondering if its because my main sphere has another sphere inside it that isn't welded. It was placed inside so I could make the ball look thicker as its supposed to be glass. I don't mine the 4 spheres moving a bit, but they are popping through the main ball at some points in time. Right, Im going to try and bake it, but will have to wait some time as the bullet enables and calculates and hope nothing has changed from yesterday

SplineGod
05-25-2012, 03:49 AM
id go with the baking for now. Ive used the plugin RH recommended and its always worked fine. I used it on one show to clone and parent soldiers to a mesh. The soldiers were animated with an mdd file but the object points they were parented to was a grid to get them into a formation. When the grid object was moved the soldiers would follow. The cool thing was I added a little displacement to the grid which made the soldiers look like they were walking over uneven ground.
Sometimes you just have to get something done and use the time in between projects to learn new things. :)

RebelHill
05-25-2012, 04:00 AM
ahh... a few possibilities, maybe attaching to a different point would be needed, there must be some shifting going on with whichever point index you've got it stuck to in your scene.

Its certainly handier to know these things in advance (the no parent to displace thing), fewer hiccups like this later. At least you'll know for next time and be able to plan accordingly.

daz1761
05-25-2012, 04:41 AM
Defo guys :) Learning is the key :)

Thanks very much for broadening my 3d education, as I will certainly be baring this new technique in mind again. Yes, shifting sounds likely as its definately bobbing up and down between the 2 meshes.

Well, after all that I manged to bake it, and its following the main ball spot on. Is it okay to turn the parenting off now?

Sorry to start a new thread about this too!

SplineGod
05-25-2012, 05:01 AM
That reminds me...do you know if theres a 3rd party normal constraint....a way to constrain something to a mesh surface without using sticky or anchor? :)

RebelHill
05-25-2012, 05:06 AM
Now thats a tricky one... No such plug that I know of. Sticky's not so bad, Ive used it quite effectively, but anchor blows donkeys.

I believe it should be possible to stitch something together via nodal... Ive messed around in the past, but never really followed through to a full solution. Might have to have another go when i get chance.

SplineGod
05-25-2012, 05:18 AM
lol, I was hoping dpont might have something I havent seen. It would be nice to have a few more types of constraints. :)