PDA

View Full Version : Modelling Help

daz1761
05-24-2012, 04:37 AM
I am trying to create a half pipe glass tube but not having much look. I started by creating a single disc, lathe then turn into a spiral. Then I made it into a half pipe, tried my ball using the bullet down in and its all good. But now I'm trying to thicken the half pipe as it looks to thin as a double sided poly. I am using the multishift contour and its giving me the look I want but its making the tube hollow. Ive attached a pic to demonstrate and my modeller file.

Thanks

nomad108
05-24-2012, 04:48 AM
Not quite sure I understand the problem correctly, but could you copy the polygons, multishift, then paste them back? (The originals or the new polys might need to be flipped, so I usually paste into a separate layer until that's fixed, them move everything back to the same layer and merge points.)

probiner
05-24-2012, 05:03 AM
I am using the multishift contour and its giving me the look I want but its making the tube hollow.
Hollow how? By looking at your image I don't understand.
I looked to the file and the 4th layer has a transparent object. Is that it, you don't see the polygons surface and just the wireframe?

Cheers

daz1761
05-24-2012, 05:04 AM
Im trying to thicken what I have already have to make it into a glass tube. Here is a picture of the original half pipe. The multishift is giving me the look I want but its not doing it properly. Sorry, hollow wasn't the right word. What I have in the picture I want about 75mm thick instead of just a single double sided polys

Thanks

probiner
05-24-2012, 05:17 AM
Ahh now I got it. Well you just do that yourself :)

Copy Mesh, then Multishift, Paste Mesh, select the pasted mesh and flip the polygons, then Merge Points and voilá you thickened your tube. (Better turn Double Sided off in the surface. Dielectric doesn't need that)

Cheers

daz1761
05-24-2012, 05:29 AM
Excellent! Thanks! Jobs a good one, had to cut and paste some of the polys at the top of the pipe as I had weird dark shading going on. Just hope my ball still rolls down it nicely with the bullet :)

probiner
05-24-2012, 05:50 AM
Excellent! Thanks! Jobs a good one, had to cut and paste some of the polys at the top of the pipe as I had weird dark shading going on. Just hope my ball still rolls down it nicely with the bullet :)

Instead of thickening it IN, thicken it OUT.
Just: Copy, Flip Polygons, Multishift, Paste, Merge instead :)

daz1761
05-24-2012, 06:10 AM
Cheers!

I'm trying to do it with a simple sphere and the multishift isnt doing anything to it?

probiner
05-24-2012, 06:17 AM
Multishift Needs an open border to work. You can't use it on a closed mesh.
So you select all polygons, but one.

Sometimes you can do it directly (Local Points): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xlfLwqJkE90&t=1m35s

Others you need to bevel in before you use it to get proper directions (Contour): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xlfLwqJkE90&t=4m30s

Cheers

daz1761
05-24-2012, 06:51 AM
Thanks for your help :)

Danner
05-24-2012, 07:00 AM
Much easier this way.

http://www.blochi.com/gfx/thickener_en.html

probiner
05-24-2012, 07:01 AM
Thickener is good. But it doesn't Offset on Polygons normals but Vertex normals. It also does some strange stuff on acute angles. It's very fine for general purposes but bad if you want to preserve the polygons normals or flatness of surfaces, along with matching topology.

On the other hand... Multishift can be broken sometimes and start sliding vertices. So it's something to have eye on.

Cheers

raw-m
05-24-2012, 07:26 AM
Perhaps a Lathe with an offset would get a better result in this case?

SplineGod
05-24-2012, 07:29 AM
If I understand correctly why not draw the cross section of the half tube and lathe, rail extrude or whatever to get the rest?