PDA

View Full Version : Modo and Lightwave viewport rendering... REVIVED

Dreamcube017
05-23-2012, 08:13 PM
Hey guys. I was just curious about your opinions.

To anyone who's tried Modo 601, what do you think of the preview rendering? Is it faster than LW 11's (or 10's) VPR?

I've given Modo a try and while all the tools are nice, the "realtime" render is rather slow. AA simple cube and plane take a while to update. I have a Windows 7 64 bit PC with a Q6600 intel CPU running at 2.4 GHz and 8 gigs of RAM.

I created a similar scene in Lightwave and while it was a little slow at first, it started speeding up a lot. I noticed that the only time it slowed down again was when I made a drastic change. This was LW10.

So anyone had any experience with either of these?

Nicolas Jordan
05-23-2012, 09:18 PM
I have used both with large complex scenes and I prefer VPR for it's speed and the way it resolves. Each previewer has it's pros and cons though.

Snosrap
05-23-2012, 10:04 PM
I've got and use both 601 and LW11 daily. Are you talking about modo's Ray GL or the Preview that you can be pulled up with the F8 key? The Ray GL is an interesting mode in theory, but it's not that practicle. For one it's not very fast when compared to Preview. So if you really insist on modeling while fully raytracing you'd be better off working in Advanced Open GL and have the Preview open on the side rendering your work. Ray GL automatically turns off when anything is done the viewport, but it's annoying at best. Now comparing the speed of Preview in modo to VPR in LW11, VPR easily outpaces modo in interactivity and the time it takes to finally resolve. The final quality edge goes to modo however. While images can be saved from VPR, you wouldn't want to use it as final. Saving from Preview will give you deliverable output. Just my 2 cents.:thumbsup:

Dreamcube017
05-24-2012, 02:35 AM
Ah thanks guys.

Yeah I don't have LW11, but just did a test scene in both modo and Lightwave and LW's VPR is a lot faster. I don't normally save previews as finals anyway.

Thanks again. Just wanted to make sure I wasn't doing anything wrong.

Nicolas Jordan
05-24-2012, 06:44 AM
VPR easily outpaces modo in interactivity and the time it takes to finally resolve. The final quality edge goes to modo however. While images can be saved from VPR, you wouldn't want to use it as final.

:agree: I also like you don't use or like Ray GL since it's never seemed practical and is a pain more than anything.

Snosrap
05-24-2012, 04:31 PM
:agree: I also like you don't use or like Ray GL since it's never seemed practical and is a pain more than anything. Yeah I really don't get it. I actually think that it was added as a direct competitive "We got that too" marketing thing after NT released 10 with VPR. I've got to hand it to NT, VPR is a really strong addition to LW.

silviotoledo
05-24-2012, 08:53 PM
In my point of view MODO is faster, but it uses less complex shaders

Lightwave has so much more complex shader option.

moussepipi2000
05-24-2012, 10:19 PM
i feel that modo is faster, cleaner. It also have zoom a la Fprime (the best feature in my opinion), and can render SSS pretty fast (physical sss). no one can complain about the difference between preview and renderer, its always the same result.

HV are maybe faster in VPR, i just feel modo volume are very slow on the preview renderer

prometheus
05-25-2012, 01:20 AM
i feel that modo is faster, cleaner. It also have zoom a la Fprime (the best feature in my opinion), and can render SSS pretty fast (physical sss). no one can complain about the difference between preview and renderer, its always the same result.

HV are maybe faster in VPR, i just feel modo volume are very slow on the preview renderer

Hypervoxels in VPR compared to Modo preview of the new volume mode would be interesting to see how it turns out, I just saw a demo from brad with it, and it looked quite fast, but impossible to say without comparing on the same machine, same amount and size of particles and same resolution of the previewer etc, then you have to think about wich shading and illumination mode Hvīs or volumes in modo are used, I believe modo has deep shadows wich might be faster, and hypervoxels do not have.

Michael

Michael

Dreamcube017
05-25-2012, 02:20 AM
I took my objects and rendered them in both Lightwave and Modo... The scenes are slightly different though.

Here's my modo image.
http://th02.deviantart.net/fs71/PRE/i/2012/146/a/5/vases_by_dreamcube017-d514nud.jpg

And here's my lightwave image
http://fc09.deviantart.net/fs71/f/2012/146/d/c/3_vases_by_dreamcube017-d514o2w.jpg

I did a little color editing in photoshop so it's not entirely fair. But still.
Then again, Modo has the color thing right after the render.

LW's VPR is fater, but Modo's final render seems to be... just a bit better.

prometheus
05-25-2012, 02:22 AM
I took my objects and rendered them in both Lightwave and Modo... The scenes are slightly different though.

I did a little color editing in photoshop so it's not entirely fair. But still.
Then again, Modo has the color thing right after the render.

LW's VPR is fater, but Modo's final render seems to be... just a bit better.

I donīt think you can compare it like that, use the same scene and object setup, and matching lighting, and even then it would be difficult to compare depending on textures, light setup and qualilty setup, but do not throw up different scenes like that.
The lightwave scene setup is lousy in many aspects compared to the modo scene.

Michael

Snosrap
05-25-2012, 09:16 AM
but modo had an integrated viewport renderer more than a year before LW (modo401 - feb09/LW10 - dec10). Just fyi. Well yes but that has always been a camera view. The Ray GL and VPR can be any view - light, perspective, top, etc. etc. including the camera. That is part of their uselfullness over FPrime and modo's Preview. Both FPrime and Preview don't allow for selection of items, while VPR and Ray GL do. VPR also has the advantage of selecting sufaces - Ray GL doesn't. FPrime has an advantage over all three by being able to zoom in with the mouse wheel while NOT actually moving the camera. They all have their strengths but very few weaknesses when compared to rendering of ten years ago. I'm sure new entrants into 3d cannot appreciate any of them. :D

Dreamcube017
05-25-2012, 10:57 AM
Sorry about that. I'll get the light props and scene directly from modo this time and see what happens.

kopperdrake
05-25-2012, 12:15 PM
I'm sure new entrants into 3d cannot appreciate any of them. :D

I bet they've never had to whittle a model by hand - ungrateful kids.

Sensei
05-25-2012, 04:24 PM
The final quality edge goes to modo however. While images can be saved from VPR, you wouldn't want to use it as final.

Default quality of VPR is draft. So, you need to uncheck it..

realgray
05-25-2012, 07:35 PM
I donīt think you can compare it like that, use the same scene and object setup, and matching lighting, and even then it would be difficult to compare depending on textures, light setup and qualilty setup, but do not throw up different scenes like that.
The lightwave scene setup is lousy in many aspects compared to the modo scene.

Michael

Would be cool to see a new render thread comparing modo 601 vs. LW11.

Snosrap
05-25-2012, 10:41 PM
Default quality of VPR is draft. So, you need to uncheck it..Yep, while it's very good I don't find it to be quite as good as an F9. :thumbsup:

Dreamcube017
05-26-2012, 09:12 PM
I bet they've never had to whittle a model by hand - ungrateful kids.

yep, that's right. Grew up on the Unreal Engine3 (Yes I know it's not an offline renderer)... if it's not real time... then... some other word that rhymes with realtime...

But really, yeah I started pulling apart the materials in Modo to see if I can rebuild them in lightwave. But I either don't fully understand how to edit things in them or it's just setup really strange... or both.

I'd also like to put the same scene in Lightwave 11.

moussepipi2000
05-27-2012, 06:50 AM
modo can read lwo format, so if you setup your scene in modeler you can load the same scene in modo. for camera try fbx, i got same camera without xyz order tweeking

Dreamcube017
05-27-2012, 01:35 PM
Alright, I fell pretty bad for doing lightwave that injustice. So I've done my best to render the scene in LW just like it was in Modo. LW may not have the color tools inside of it, b ut I was able to get it out as an EXR file and tweak it with some very nice results.

What do you think?

EDIT: There's a hi-rez version now.

realgray
05-27-2012, 06:07 PM
One thing Modo has going for it is the ease with which you can pull out render buffers/passes. I wish the "compositing buffer export" wasn't an image process but rather located in the render globals under export options.

jasonwestmas
05-27-2012, 06:25 PM
I think modo's GI quality and speed is much faster in its render tab than VPR is in layout. So with all the bells and whistles turn on including reflections and such I think Modo wins out.