PDA

View Full Version : Happy G5

mswanson
10-24-2003, 03:26 PM
My new 2.0DP G5 finally arrived and is all setup. First: It was my money and I wanted to spend it because I am a techno junkie and love shiny new computers, or I am under the spell of the fruit factory, or I am mad at my money, whatever (take your pick). I don't care, I wanted one and I bought one.

This post is not to debate the value, my sanity, or which platform is best. While patiently waiting for my G5 I read numerous posts in this forum to figure out if Lightwave 7.5c would run on my G5 and I got very confused (because of video card issues, very long and wandering threads, and the seemingly unavoidable flame wars).

This post is to simply say, that I, one Mac Lightwave 7.5c user with a new G5, am happy. Everything seems OK, no crashes, freezes, video issues. And it is fast! Here are some results from one of my scenes (medium complexity, radiosity on)...

G4 866MHz, 768 meg RAM NVidea GeForce II - 12:46 (766.7 seconds)
G5 Dual 2.0 GHz, 1gig RAM, Radeon 9800 - Single thread: 4:55 (295.2 seconds), Two threads:3:18 (198.5 seconds)

That is roughly a 3.9x speed boost. Very pleasing to me, simply put I can render more in less time. If NewTek does anything (even a recompile with the G5 vector lib) times should improve, but if not, I still get more done in a day.

Scott Gammans
10-24-2003, 05:12 PM
I am seeing even more dramatic speed increases because I'm coming from a slow Pentium III workstation. My dual processor G5 is an absolute rocket, and the only thing I regret is waiting this long to buy a Mac.

mbaldwin
10-24-2003, 07:44 PM
I have to chime in: I'm also with new dual G5 and I'm happy as a clam.

There were a few complex projects that I had to lay aside with my old rig(dual 1 ghz g4). They're now resurrected and soon to be finished. The new G5 was well worth the smackers.

-m.

themaxx
10-25-2003, 02:22 PM
well said. and me too.

Johnny
10-26-2003, 07:22 AM
hope this isn't too off-topic...I'm pretty happy with my Dual so far, but anyone know how to move the Dock into "Applications" on an OSX boot only Mac?

For my other machines, the procedure was to boot into OS 9 and to manually drag Dock out of core services, and into Applications.

I hate the dock mainly because it forces itself on you; no matter which pref you set for it, you're GOING to get the dock..either always there and small, or popping out when you mouse to its region - whether or not you need some other app's palette...

Moving the Dock into Apps so that it can be quit, then using Drag Thing has been my salvation.

thoughts?

J

retter7
10-26-2003, 08:38 AM
Glad to hear you're loving the new Mac. I'm seeing incredible rendering speeds! So much so, I'm taking advantage Radiosity and the Image World plugin for print resolution renders.

On a darker note...try setting a transparency value to an object in layout. Then deselect the object and see if it maintains the transparency or turns opaque. I'd really be interested to know your results. If your sys reacts like mine and several others, your objects will render fine, but lose transparency when deselected.

r

Jimzip
10-26-2003, 04:40 PM
Johnny.
Just as a precaution you shoudln't play around in Core Services, (Unless of course you know what you're doing! ;) )
Personally I couldn't live without the Dock, it's a lifesaver. If you don't want it, you can always just resize it to be really small, and hide it, it shouldn't get in your way then!

Or, if you want to get technical, you can force it to quit, (Panther only, sorry!) by going to
Applications/Utilities/Activity Monitor

Select 'My processes' from the 'Show' tab, and double click on 'Dock'. Then press 'Quit' in the window that comes up.
The fun thing about quitting the Dock is you can't Apple-Tab! (Plus it looks really cool when you start it up again!)

Hope that helps. I'll try to figure out how to do it in the Terminal for you too.

Jimzip :D

Johnny
10-26-2003, 04:45 PM
Originally posted by Jimzip
Or, if you want to get technical, you can force it to quit, (Panther only, sorry!) by going to
Applications/Utilities/Activity Monitor

Select 'My processes' from the 'Show' tab, and double click on 'Dock'. Then press 'Quit' in the window that comes up.

Thanks, Jimzip..

Tried your method in Jag, and the Dock would come back like Lazarus everytime, which is why I resorted to the other method of moving that puppy..something about Panther that makes quitting the Dock more permanent?

BTW..I think that the Dock *is* pretty cool, but wish that it offered an option to Hide unless a keystroke were pressed..I've pulled out too much hair having that thing pop out just as I'm trying to access a button or palette..

J

js33
10-26-2003, 07:59 PM
Move it to the left or right and it shouldn't be in the way as much.

Cheers,
JS

mlinde
10-26-2003, 09:23 PM
Originally posted by Johnny
BTW..I think that the Dock *is* pretty cool, but wish that it offered an option to Hide unless a keystroke were pressed..I've pulled out too much hair having that thing pop out just as I'm trying to access a button or palette.
I keep the dock up, and small, with all the features turned off, and the only issue I run into is that drop-lists will fall behind it. I set up my windows to be just smaller (vertically) than the dock. Since it's only something like 30 or 40 pixels high (I'm running 1600x1200) I don't lose much.

When I did try to hide the dock, I had the same frustrations. That's why I eventually just work with it, instead of around it.

turbo
10-27-2003, 12:49 PM
I'm pretty happy with me G5 too.. tho I do want to upgrade the video card.. but that's another thread. :p

I've adapted to the speed already and would miss it if I had to give it up.

:cool:

brumbaer
10-27-2003, 11:30 PM
I use a DP G5, 2 GHz and 3 GB of Ram.

For a given scene LW 7.5c needs 1.5 seconds.

When I increase the number of threads the rendering time will go up to 9 seconds !!!!!!

I tested OS 10.3 and 10.2.2 both show the same behaviour.

Does anybody have the same experience or do you all get an improvement by unsing more than 1 thread ?

Regards
SH

Red_Oddity
10-28-2003, 03:38 AM
All you Dock bar haters (me included, what is wrong with using the big white friggin bar on top of the screen for programs instead of forcing another obstrusive gimmick on the user)...try downloading Lightswitch X (http://www.proteron.com/liteswitchx/) ...a bit like Alt-Tabbing in Windows, but with a lot more options...

Johnny
10-28-2003, 06:04 AM
Originally posted by Red_Oddity
All you Dock bar haters (me included, what is wrong with using the big white friggin bar on top of the screen for programs instead of forcing another obstrusive gimmick on the user)

I would hate the Dock much less if Apple were to add a pref allowing the Dock not to pop out unless the user presses a key combo when mousing over the Dock's 'sensitive area.'

I'm no programmer, but don't think it would be difficult to do this.. But I think that Apple looks at the Dock as the Crown Jewel of OSX, and can't fathom that some people might not be in love with it unconditionally.

J

Red_Oddity
10-29-2003, 05:16 AM
Indeed, or unload it altogether...

For years Apple's UIs have been very close to Fitz law...now it seems the've done a 180 turn when designing interfaces (Dock bar, small file requesters, files ignoring extentions (eventhough they have gotton the right icon), annoying behaviour in file reqeusters (the column view always stand in the wrong dir, or shows a icon of a dir but not the content, unreadable long file names, etc))...

Anyway, i'm bitching again, and i promised i wouldn't do that again, so...here's where i'll stop...for now :D...

nawDsign
10-30-2003, 08:57 AM
Just got the twin turbo yesterday and still recovering from the wiplash. I don't know what all the complaints are about but I haven't had any crashes yet (knock on wood). Modeler's running fine... graph editor doesn't disappear. I'm happy all is good.

Lightwave 7.5c
10.2.7 smeagol (debating if I should go to 10.2.8 or straight to panther?)
G5 DP2.0/512MB/ATI9600/160G

Pretty much the basic package no upgrades, but soon enough.

*note Modeler's 7.5c crashes on start up, so I use 7.5 Modeler and use 7.5c Layout

:D :D :D :D AWESOME! :D :D :D :D
Nor

themaxx
10-30-2003, 09:07 AM
Panther's great, but Lightwave is having some problems under Panther. Check out the thread "Panther - don't do it" (http://vbulletin.newtek.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=12841) for details.

mlinde
10-30-2003, 09:48 AM
So those of you with G5s, how many are experiencing this modeler crash with 7.5c? This crash originally only affected G3s, I'm worried if it's back with G5s. Please post if you are running the full 7.5c version and Modeler crashes on launch.

Thanks!

turbo
10-30-2003, 10:24 AM
No crashes of any kind with this setup..

DP G5 2GHZ
OSX 10.2.8
stock ATI card
1.5 GIG ram
LW 7.5

I'll watch this thread before upgrading to 7.5c on this machine..

themaxx
10-30-2003, 10:34 AM
No problems with modeler here (aside from a mouse tracking issue with Panther, but that went away when I switched to tablet mode).

DP G5 2GHZ
OSX 10.3 (Panther)
Radeon 9800 pro
1.5 GIG ram
LW 7.5c

mbaldwin
10-30-2003, 10:41 AM
no probs running 7.5c on dual 2ghz G5.
10.2.8(G5)

pdrake
10-30-2003, 10:58 AM
10.2.8 g5 2g dp. modeler runs fine. layout originally had a problem, but was my fault. now it's fine.

ArneK
11-02-2003, 06:48 PM
I have a dual 1GHz G4 today and I'm wondering if I should get myself a dual 2GHz G5 before the year ends (need the write-offs) or maybe if I should wait until the next generation G5's are released sometime next spring.

I'm wondering how much improvement there is in rendertimes on a dual 2GHz G5 compared to my old dual 1GHz G4. Has anyone here done a similar upgrade?

Arne :)

Johnny
11-02-2003, 07:40 PM
Originally posted by mbaldwin
no probs running 7.5c on dual 2ghz G5.
10.2.8(G5)

Which card?

J

mbaldwin
11-02-2003, 10:25 PM

Scott Gammans
11-03-2003, 04:51 AM
Originally posted by ArneK
I have a dual 1GHz G4 today and I'm wondering if I should get myself a dual 2GHz G5 before the year ends (need the write-offs) or maybe if I should wait until the next generation G5's are released sometime next spring.

I'm wondering how much improvement there is in rendertimes on a dual 2GHz G5 compared to my old dual 1GHz G4. Has anyone here done a similar upgrade?

Arne :) No, but I'm seeing a speed increase of well over 100% from my single-processor Pentium 4 2.4 GHz, fwiw. I would imagine you would see a similar dramatic increase going from a 1 GHz G4 to the 2 GHz G5. And besides, what's to stop you from buying the 2.0 GHz G5 now and another G5 next spring? Talk about a fast little Screamernet! :)

Pooka
11-03-2003, 07:55 AM
I'll watch this thread before upgrading to 7.5c on this machine..

No crashes with Lightwave 7.5c
and system 10.2.8 :D

Dual G5
2 GB ram
ATI 9800

ArneK
11-03-2003, 08:33 AM
Originally posted by Scott Gammans
No, but I'm seeing a speed increase of well over 100% from my single-processor Pentium 4 2.4 GHz, fwiw. I would imagine you would see a similar dramatic increase going from a 1 GHz G4 to the 2 GHz G5. And besides, what's to stop you from buying the 2.0 GHz G5 now and another G5 next spring? Talk about a fast little Screamernet! :)

I have a dual 1 GHz not a single processor G4. That's why I'm asking. People with single processors have of course reported of dramatic speed increases, but I wonder how is the dual 2GHz compared to my dual 1GHz. Is it twice the speed or better? (It should be if I'd buy now).

nawDsign
11-06-2003, 02:58 PM
Ok i have a DP2G5 with 512RAM ATI9600 and rendered a scene at 64secs and rendered the same scene on a DP1.25G4 256MB ATI9000 in 125secs. hmmmm.. That's almost twice the speed on a G5, so I'm pretty satisfied with my G5.

Happy shopping!
www.nawdsign.com/photos/myG5

just thought i share the opening of the box.. hehe

Johnny
11-06-2003, 03:03 PM
Originally posted by nawDsign

I think you're in love!

J

Beamtracer
11-06-2003, 03:56 PM
I've now got my dual G5.

Note that machines are now shipping with Panther. Anyone putting in an order for a G5 should obtain a disk with OS 10.2.7 from somewhere. Your machine will probably ship with 10.3 only.

Run 10.2.7 for now, at least until LW8 is released for Panther.

Some people in earlier posts are reporting that they are running 10.2.8 with the G5. I understood that 10.2.7 was the recommended OS for the G5, and 10.2.8 was recommended for the G4. Both those OSs were released at the same time, so one is not newer than the other.

mlinde
11-06-2003, 04:33 PM
Sorry Beam, but some corrections for you:
1) Machines bought direct from Apple or at an Apple Store will definitely ship with 10.3 installed or in the box. However, machines purchased through Apple Authorized Resellers may or may not have 10.3 pre-installed. Verify with you reseller that you have the OS you want (CDW does not expect to ship G5's with 10.3 until 12/01/03).

2) The second 10.2.8 release (available via Software Update) has both a G4 and a G5 version. Installing and running this update is unnecessary, IMHO. 10.2.8 may introduce the mouse-twitch bug noticed by many, I can't be sure. There is a 10.2.8 Software Update for both the G4 and the G5. Software update only shows you the appropriate updates for your system (and it knows your processor).

-- Beam, did your machine ship with 10.3 installed, and if so, who did you buy it from?
(a) Apple or an Apple Store
(b) Apple Authorized Reseller
(c) Other

pdrake
11-06-2003, 04:49 PM
i'm using 10.2.8 on my g5 and have no mouse problems. if you open "about this mac" and look next to the version, it says g5 next to it in parentheses. software update knew which version to install on the machine. (it came with 10.2.7)

Beamtracer
11-06-2003, 05:12 PM
Hi Michael,

I stand corrected on the 10.2.8 issue. :) I didn't realize there were 2 versions of 10.2.8. As you say, 10.2.7 may be the best bet for the moment.

My machine came with 10.3. Direct from Apple, but not via the regular Apple store. Unique situation via a contact at Apple.

I'd still advise any Lightwavers buying a G5 to check with whoever they're buying it from what the OS will be.

nawDsign
11-07-2003, 07:31 AM
Well, I brave the waters and installed panther on my G5 last night. I must say, modeler's perpective view had a very noticeable speed boost. I was able to turn and zoom in and out of my model in the perpective view alot smoother than under 10.2.7 with smooth shade patch division at 6. Later on I will try all the stuff that people posted that makes their machine crash. Installing panther on my Lombard as I write this.
:D HAPPY HAPPY HAPPY!

Anyone going to the Chicago ShowBiz Expo? se ya there!

peace,
Nor

meanlebh
11-08-2003, 06:32 PM
From the first post by mswanson...

-------
G4 866MHz, 768 meg RAM NVidea GeForce II - 12:46 (766.7 seconds)
G5 Dual 2.0 GHz, 1gig RAM, Radeon 9800 - Single thread: 4:55 (295.2 seconds), Two threads:3:18 (198.5 seconds)
--------

I also have a dp g5, however whenever i try to render with multithreading turned up higher than one it slows down rendering time substantially....any suggestions as to how you were able to achieve your results???.....it has been suggested to me that i buy more ram ( i am only running 512 mb of ram and a 9600 video card, are these my problems or am i doing something wrong?...any help from anyone would be great....thanks.

toby
11-08-2003, 08:53 PM
Maybe it depends on which system you're using, 10.2.7, 10.2.8 or 10.3

Beamtracer
11-09-2003, 03:26 AM
I'm using 10.2.7 on the dual 2GHz G5 right now. My experience so far is that there's not much difference between 1 or 2 threads. However when I switch it to 4 threads, the rendering time is almost halved.

2.5 gigs of RAM.

meanlebh
11-09-2003, 09:57 AM
i am using 10.2.8 right now.....who knows...maybe that is part of the problem too....but i wanted to wait to get panther because i have heard of so many problems with compatability between it and lw.....i am sure that the 2.5 gigs of ram also helps out your times though as opposed to my 512...

thanks for the input, i'll keep messing with stuff to try to figure this out.

turbo
12-02-2003, 01:34 PM
Originally posted by nawDsign
Happy shopping!

Hehe.. i did the same thing .. quickly, when i got mine, lol.
the unwrapping (http://shadow.krabbit.com/turbo/albums/g5/Pictures.html)

mswanson
12-02-2003, 05:00 PM
Originally posted by meanlebh
I also have a dp g5, however whenever i try to render with multithreading turned up higher than one it slows down rendering time substantially....any suggestions as to how you were able to achieve your results??? [/B]

I am using 1 gig RAM. BTW With 8 threads my speeds are even better!

shaol
12-05-2003, 10:40 AM
Ok since everyone else is putting there two cents I thought I would too. I have A G5 DP 1gig ram 9800 pro card lightwave 7.5c waiting for 8 to come out. I rendered an animation of a fish in a small tank and I had 5 lights as well as lots of reflection and it only took under 4m a frme to render a preview move as QT. at some point I'm going to see if I can make it go crazy rendering somthing outragous ,but until then I just Love it!

NonPlanar
12-10-2003, 09:32 PM
That Dock thing...

Have you tried using Tinker Tool? Though it won't disable to dock, it has some nice hacks for it:

You change it to end or start position (instead of being dead-center)

And besides the bottom, left or right placement, you can actually have the dock be on the top part of the screen... if you hide it there it won't pop up at all, unless

a) you use the unhide shortcut or
b) you hold your mouse exactly precisely in a one pixel range at the lower part of the pulldown bar (i.e. where FILE, EDIT, VIEW etc reside).

The latter rarely ever happens by mistake, so it sounds like the next best thing to what you are looking for.

You can download it for free here:

http://www.bresink.com/osx/TinkerTool.html

And I bet that if you send these guys an email with a request to and an option that would kill the doc altogether, they might just do that.

Dirk.