PDA

View Full Version : Question

Zachary Green
05-23-2012, 09:38 AM
Does anyone know if you can export files from a trial version of Lightwave to a fully licensed version? And vice versa?
I have a project that I need to edit but I'm not fluent in Lightwave, if I load a scene that was previously made in a fully licensed version of Lightwave, into a Trial version, can I bring it back into the Licensed copy?

nickdigital
05-23-2012, 09:46 AM
The scene file (.lws) might be ok. I think LW watermarks the render in the Trial. Objects (.lwo) files are restricted to a point count. So you might be able to load a large object but I don't think you can save it out. So you won't be able to edit it.

That's my guess. (I'm not able to test this out right now.)

Zachary Green
05-23-2012, 10:12 AM
I'm not exactly sure what work I will required to do, it will probably be small edits to a piece of animation. I'm going to be given someone else's scene, already modelled, animated and ready, and I just have to make minor edits.

My concern is that the person I'm getting the scene from, obviously, uses a Licensed version of Lightwave whereas I only have access to a Trial.

If I need to get a License then that can be done, I was just hoping I could do without. Any thoughts?

nickdigital
05-23-2012, 10:57 AM
Just tried it here. You can't save out of Layout. You'll need to get a license/dongle.

Zachary Green
05-23-2012, 11:12 AM
How about a 30 Day trial license? I feel like a broken record, but will there be any issues between a Trial License version of LW and a fully purchased Licensed version of LW?

nickdigital
05-23-2012, 11:24 AM
Oh, a 30 day Trial license is probably ok. All I did was unplug my dongle which puts it in Discovery mode.

Customer service would know more.

Zachary Green
05-23-2012, 11:33 AM
You've been a big help though, thanks.

BeeVee
05-23-2012, 02:56 PM
The trial version is identical to the full version with two limitations. You can't use commercial plugins that require a dongle ID (obviously) and you can't use Screamernet, LightWave's networking rendering solution. Other than that it is identical - scenes and objects can be saved and don't need exporting or importing to bring them into a full version.

B

Zachary Green
05-23-2012, 03:33 PM
Thank you sir, that is exactly the answer I was originally looking for. Much appreciated.