PDA

View Full Version : How to Change Size on X,Z axis only

Bax33
05-23-2012, 09:16 AM
Trying to change a cylindrical shaped model's size from 1 meter to 5 meters without changing the Y axis' size. Is stretch my only option? It seems like I should be able go to the Top view, control click with the Size or Stretch tool to do this, but alas that is not how they function apparently. Thanks

nickdigital
05-23-2012, 09:28 AM
Size scales in all axes. Stretch lets you stretch non-uniformly so Stretch is the tool that you want to use.

Lewis
05-23-2012, 09:58 AM
In modeler or layout ?

Modeler has tool called "Absolute Scale" so you can set only one Axis and type in numerically new value.

Oedo 808
05-23-2012, 10:05 AM
For Modeler, if you run x32 you could try Pictrix's ReSize (http://www.lwplugindb.com/Plugin.aspx?id=957dbad7). You can stretch in 2D. I find for general use just using the stretch option is best, you can still scale in 2D if you hold CTRL, the viewing angle in perspective will deterine the second dimension. Also the centre point can be moved to determine the origin.

erikals
05-23-2012, 02:22 PM
 
maybe Translate Plus,
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DztR8Y6OgHk

 

K-Dawg
05-23-2012, 02:26 PM
If you use stretch and want 2 axis to be affected at a time, hold ctrl and drag your mouse in a diagonal direction. You might have to try a few times. Once you got it right, you can scale on i.e. X and Z at the same time and leave Y out.
Keep your action center in mind though.

Oedo 808
05-23-2012, 03:16 PM
If you use stretch and want 2 axis to be affected at a time, hold ctrl and drag your mouse in a diagonal direction. You might have to try a few times. Once you got it right, you can scale on i.e. X and Z at the same time and leave Y out.
Keep your action center in mind though.

:eek: Through the shadows of the ages I wonder if I ever had held this knowledge captive and it had thus escaped me!

Regardless, I'm glad to know it again or be newly acquainted with it. :thumbsup:

erikals
05-23-2012, 04:41 PM
still, tricky in perspective view like i showed above...
 
LWCad might be the ultimate...
www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Zx4udtW3mY#t=1m44s

 

Oedo 808
05-23-2012, 05:30 PM
still, tricky in perspective view like i showed above...
 
LWCad might be the ultimate...
www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Zx4udtW3mY#t=1m44s

Yes, LWCAD is great. LightWave's architecture is ageing no doubt, but it shows that there was still a great deal that could have been done regardless.

ReSize works well in the perspective view, I've attached a rather ropey .gif, if you don't have a Youtube vid of it in action it would be a contender. :)

erikals
05-23-2012, 06:19 PM
yeah, kinda mistyped :]
what i meant was that i wish PX Resize woiuld work more like this >
www.youtube.com/watch?v=DztR8Y6OgHk#t=1m40s

Translate Plus is very powerful, just very slow to work with... :\

Snosrap
05-23-2012, 10:15 PM
This is where "widgets" would come in handy.

Oedo 808
05-23-2012, 11:58 PM
yeah, kinda mistyped :]
what i meant was that i wish PX Resize woiuld work more like this >
www.youtube.com/watch?v=DztR8Y6OgHk#t=1m40s

Translate Plus is very powerful, just very slow to work with... :\

Hah, yeah Translate Plus is a bit of an ironic tool to have in LightWave, in that it could do with being unconsolidated. Though I guess it's a good reminder that lumping similar tools together isn't always a good thing.

Indeed, it would be nice if PX_ReSize could have its axis determined like that. I like it for its ease of use, but yeah, still not perfect.

This is where "widgets" would come in handy.

I'm not a fan of widgets (although multi ones are pretty cool), but I'd certainly take local manipulation. A widget stuck with non-redefineable world axes wouldn't get you very far.

Snosrap
05-24-2012, 04:19 PM
I'm not a fan of widgets (although multi ones are pretty cool), but I'd certainly take local manipulation. A widget stuck with non-redefineable world axes wouldn't get you very far. I'm not either, but they have their place. I like modeling on the perspective viewport and it sure would be nice to have them available then. The way it is now you need to rotate your view around and hold the ctrl key to constrain to an axis. A widget would avoid all that. Scaling in LW almost always has to be performed in an ortho view because the lack of a widget.

gerry_g
05-24-2012, 04:33 PM
well some where between a widget and no widget is LWCad 'Drag Snap' tool it lets you define the start point the axis and gives a readout (or do I mean Scale Snap, anyway much overlooked these)

Oedo 808
05-24-2012, 04:44 PM
I'm not either, but they have their place. I like modeling on the perspective viewport and it sure would be nice to have them available then. The way it is now you need to rotate your view around and hold the ctrl key to constrain to an axis. A widget would avoid all that. Scaling in LW almost always has to be performed in an ortho view because the lack of a widget.

One problem is tools taking their cue from the perspective camera, I can constrain Move in the perspective view quite happily, imagine if it constrained relative to the camera. I think the the times I want Stretch to be relative to the camera projection is about .5% of the time, the rest of the time I would prefer it to constrain to a world axis at the very least.

A widget would work sure, that's pretty much what ReSize is, and the option to right-click and constrain makes it quite useful, but along with a comprehensive widget I'd want the 'click anywhere' behaviour to be more practical for when I don't need that extra control.

I also use viewport snapping sometimes, I find snapping the perspective view works well with the Magnet tool and a few others, but at times I get funky results, that's why I keep the orthographic views open to one side.

I guess my concern is that if widgets become the focus any thought to the click anywhere behaviour will go out the window.

Danner
05-24-2012, 05:50 PM
Don't forget the rove tool, it doesn't do size but it is a widget to move and rotate in perspective along the axis.

Snosrap
05-24-2012, 08:53 PM
I guess my concern is that if widgets become the focus any thought to the click anywhere behaviour will go out the window. Yes - widgets should be optional and the current method should be retained as well. I do hope as Modeler gets overhauled it doesn't lose it's "immediacy".

erikals
05-25-2012, 01:27 AM
Don't forget the rove tool, it doesn't do size but it is a widget to move and rotate in perspective along the axis.

the Rove tool is pretty much useless in the perspective view... http://erikalstad.com/backup/misc.php_files/012.gif
ftp://ftp.newtek.com/pub/LightWave/Tutorials/Vidz/Rove.mov

  

erikals
05-25-2012, 01:34 AM
well some where between a widget and no widget is LWCad 'Drag Snap' tool it lets you define the start point the axis and gives a readout (or do I mean Scale Snap, anyway much overlooked these)

Yes, i don't have LWCAD yet, but it looks to be pretty good for this kind of stuff...
(check Scale snap)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Zx4udtW3mY

  

jeric_synergy
05-25-2012, 01:37 AM
the Rove tool is pretty much useless in the perspective view... http://erikalstad.com/backup/misc.php_files/012.gif
ftp://ftp.newtek.com/pub/LightWave/Tutorials/Vidz/Rove.mov

  
What's this obsession with the Perspective view?

erikals
05-25-2012, 04:02 AM
i hope you're kidding :]

probiner
05-25-2012, 04:11 AM
What's this obsession with the Perspective view?

That's a new level of troll for you jeric :p

It's obvious one prefers to look to a Single viewport if one has the level of control that would take Four viewports to have, especially if Three of them are orthographic views.

Modo is one example of how that can be done with Costum Axis and and Centers, Widgets, Fallof Displays, Snap Axis, Work and Construction Plane, Advanced OGL etc, etc.

jeric_synergy
05-25-2012, 09:43 AM
Well, have fun waiting for that. >|^P

gerry_g
05-25-2012, 10:10 AM
I started with Amapi a now defunct product but it let you scale and rotate snap in the 3D viewport in fact you did everything in a 3D viewport, even had align to plane and more importantly the ability to reset world origin at will and this was ten years ago, in which time LW Modeller has had what, a colour change and still clings grimly to a byzantine quad work flow, viva la French

Bax33
05-25-2012, 10:15 AM
Wow, thanks for all the suggestions. I tried several, but in the end I liked the Absolute Size method suggested by Lewis, but thanks again for all the help.