PDA

View Full Version : Problem crushing a can with bones using IK and FK.

Philly85
05-23-2012, 07:10 AM
Hey guys I am trying to crush a can in Lightwave but having problems.

If I do it with FK it does not look very realistic. If I try to do with it IK I goes all weird when I match the goals orientation. Mainly because I have never used IK before and am following a bloody leg tutorial which is no good for me I don't think haha.

Have I set the bones up in the right way do you think? My tutor said I would need three in like a zig-zag shape but it's not looking good.

Any suggestions?

Simon-S
05-23-2012, 07:21 AM
You could maybe try doing it with morphs rather than bones?

Philly85
05-23-2012, 07:31 AM
Any ideas how that would work?

My brain kind of messes up when I try to apply things in Lightwave to objects I have not used them on before lol, have done morphs with facial expressions and stuff but thats about it.

Would it be like create a morph of the can crushed? Then just move the point to match the morph when I want it to be crushed in Layout?

ccclarke
05-23-2012, 08:42 AM
Ensure the base mesh is all triangles (to avoid non-planar polys later) and start moving points to create the morph. You can probably build the morph in less time than it takes to create a weight map and apply a bone to the can. Simple, painless, done.

CCC

Simon-S
05-23-2012, 10:11 AM
Any ideas how that would work?

My brain kind of messes up when I try to apply things in Lightwave to objects I have not used them on before lol, have done morphs with facial expressions and stuff but thats about it.

Would it be like create a morph of the can crushed? Then just move the point to match the morph when I want it to be crushed in Layout?

There's some great videos here (http://forums.newtek.com/showthread.php?t=77002):

Look for the "Organic Modeling :Introduction to Endomorphs, Morph Mixer and Open GL Sliders"...that should get you started.

nickdigital
05-23-2012, 11:02 AM
You don't necessarily need a bone chain. Free floating bones would work too.

XswampyX
05-23-2012, 11:35 AM
What about a textured weight map for the bend in/out on the sides of the can and a morph for the height?

SplineGod
05-23-2012, 08:26 PM
Bones will be able to let you deform the can. The problem is the wrinkles in the can as it crushes. You might be able to do that with alot of bones but it probably wont be a practical way to do it. The best way is to use morphs. Create the endomorph then model the can to look crushed. Once you finish you can easily morph between the good can and the crushed version. This can even be combined with bones.

SplineGod
06-09-2012, 05:21 AM
Heres a free tutorial on modeling and crushing a coke can using a weight map to create an endomorph of the can in a crushed state. :)
http://youtu.be/IJJ11YlRm6o

K-Dawg
06-09-2012, 05:56 AM
Hi Larry,

good to have you back btw.

The video isn't working. Youtube is saying something about video is being worked on and check back later.

Greetz

SplineGod
06-09-2012, 06:41 AM
Thanks, good to be back. :)
It seems to be working for me. It may not have
been completely uploaded when you tried. :)

UnCommonGrafx
06-09-2012, 08:42 AM
Indeed, it is working.

And INDEED, it is good to have you back!
Nice vid.

SplineGod
06-09-2012, 06:36 PM
Ah, cool. Thanks for checking Robert :)

K-Dawg
06-10-2012, 01:29 PM
Sorry for late reply. I was busy all day and yesterday after my post I somehow couldn't reach the Newtek.com server.

shortly after my post, maybe 15 minutes, the Video worked.

Nice Vid Larry. very nice method and a tool I never knew about before :)

Greetz

SplineGod
06-10-2012, 04:13 PM
Im glad to see you not only found it useful but learned something new about that tool. :)

stevecullum
06-11-2012, 12:29 PM
Im glad to see you not only found it useful but learned something new about that tool. :)

Nice tutorial Larry :)

Whenever I watch one of your tuts, it always reminds me of the stuff I forget that's in Lightwave - like the weight map fall off on the modify tools - I don't think I've ever used that, but now seeing it again makes me think of a bunch of other stuff I could use it for... glad your back!

SplineGod
06-11-2012, 05:15 PM
Well good, glad it proved useful. I know what you mean. I tend to save out lots of scene files of tests etc because I also tend to forget :)