PDA

View Full Version : Poser or Daz?

metahumanity
05-22-2012, 05:14 PM

bbuxton
05-22-2012, 07:20 PM
They are both good.
Poser has more features but is sluggish compared to Daz.
The pro version comes with an import plugin for Lightwave that works well.
Daz has less features but is far snappier to use. Daz has 'Genesis' figures and GoZ for exchange with ZBrush.

Personally I prefer Daz but I only want a base mesh for zbrush and fbx/bvh rig for Lightwave. Either application will do that.

Philbert
05-22-2012, 09:02 PM
While I prefer Daz, doesn't Poser come with a collection of character models? It might be worth it for that. It could be handy for a time when you need a bunch of characters in short order.

roboman
05-22-2012, 09:31 PM
Yes Poser comes with a bunch of models, but the Daz Genesis is also a bunch of figures. Daz is free and you have to pay for a few of the options if you want them and you are likely to want some if you do a lot of your work in Daz. Poser you get every thing when you buy it, but you need to buy it. Over all, I would say it gets down to the interface. The interfaces are very different. Poser and Daz can mostly use all the same stuff. Poser can't do the morph stuff Daz does and Daz doesn't to the fiber/hair or weight maps.

If nothing else, you should try out Daz, since it's free...I've got a Ver of Poser that is a couple ver old and Daz4. I don't seem to go to either one more often then the other.

Philbert
05-22-2012, 09:34 PM
Well yeah, Daz is free right now for a limited time. So you might as well download it regardless.

Ma3rk
05-23-2012, 12:03 AM
Since they are current free, there's no sense in NOT snagging the DAZ products. Bryce seems to be the only one that isn't 64-bit but it still works quite smoothly on my Win 7 system.

However, the Poser Pro program (not free) has good scene exportation to Lightwave now. Poser's animation tools are, hmm, a bit quirky and not very well documented such as when working with the graph editor, but for throwing an animated character quickly into an LW scene, it's pretty a decent tool.

BTW, I've found that I need to perform a 256X scaling on the imported Poser scene for it to match LW's scaling. At present, motion blur isn't working quite correctly, but I've been told that a fix is in the works for the Fusion plug-in.

Poser & DAZ can exchange scenes as well but I haven't tried making a scene in DAZ, take it into Poser, and then into LW to know if that works.

Philbert
05-23-2012, 01:05 AM
One thing to note if it means anything. One of my clients had me working on a couple of projects that had been started by two other artists both of which used Poser character models (in max scenes) So I had to struggle to figure out a way to convert these Poser characters to LightWave.

safetyman
05-23-2012, 05:36 AM
I would have to say Daz, mostly because of the Genesis figure. They have Genesis morphs for all the generation 3 and 4 Daz figures (for a price), so you can use any of the clothing (TONS of it for free) on the Genesis model. The models that come with Poser are ok for certain situations, but they leave something to be desired compared to the Daz versions, plus add-on support for the Poser figures pales in comarison to that for Daz ones. Just my 2 cents.

manholoz
05-24-2012, 01:38 PM
I've never understood the Daz Studio interface, so I use Poser exclusively. That, and the file format is open, so you can hack away pretty much anything Poser, which in Daz Studio, involves purchasing yet another plugin. So in Poser, hacking is only a text editor away.
Ok, so some people don't like to hack. But you have the POSSIBILITY to hack it without breaking any warranty, infringe patents, etc etc. (Sort of like Android vs iOS).
I've used said hacking to do some custom figures and stuff myself, and most Poser content creators do it all the time.

Then there is the software manual thing. Last time I checked, Daz Studio still has no manual.

And as to Genesis, IMHO, there are times when morphing a figure is not such a good idea, such as UV stretching, rigging (hip bones in males vs females) etc come to mind. That a mesh has that much versatility IS impressive.

Converting clothing from different figures inside Poser is a non-issue since version 9/2012. (And 8/2010 if you take into account the inclusion of Wardrobe Wizard as part of Poser) Some people seem not to be aware of this though. There is of course the problems associated with different polygon flows between the host figure and the clothing, or when the differences between a figure and the clothing's proportion is just too noticeable, poking and texture stretching are almost guaranteed.

What is true is that, for the most part, the Daz marketplace has some very high quality content for (obviously) their figures, that is undeniable. But relying on figures that are too popular has a downside, mainly, your figures in your scene have a very high chance that they will be eerily similar to lots and lots of other people's work out there, and will be consiously/unconsciously associated with other people's work.

Then again, I do create my own figures/clothing /stuff, so I don't really need the Genesis ecosystem.

If I were to recommend a Poser figure, I would say Apollo Maximus is THE best Poser figure. It is a work of art, from whatever angle you see it. Even when it is years old, it really is something else.

There are also some plugins that import the rigging information from Poser into Lightwave. Greenbriar I think is the name of the developer.

Philbert
05-24-2012, 06:40 PM
I don't understand this hacking or plugin you're talking about. I've never had to hack anything in Daz or poser. The Daz docs are online (http://docs.daz3d.com/doku.php/public/software/dazstudio/4/referenceguide/start). I haven't used either of these apps a lot, but never had a problem with clothing, it just snaps to fit the character. Daz does have a confusing UI but poser is almost as bad when you're not used to it.

Sekhar
05-25-2012, 09:01 AM
Yeah, I'm not a big fan of the Poser UI either, but I have Poser Pro 2012, and with LW11 the interaction is really simple/easy (you just open Poser scene in Layout as if it were a LW scene). So if your goal is to use this app with LW, I'd say go with Poser Pro.

Philbert
05-25-2012, 03:08 PM
I've been searching for this poser plugin for LW, which seems to be called PzrForLW. Where is it? Does it come with Poser? With LW? I can find references to it back to 2009 but nothing saying where to get it. That looks like the only way to load poser files into LW.

DigitalSorcery8
05-25-2012, 06:10 PM
I've been searching for this poser plugin for LW, which seems to be called PzrForLW. Where is it? Does it come with Poser? With LW? I can find references to it back to 2009 but nothing saying where to get it. That looks like the only way to load poser files into LW.

It's called PoserFusion and works with the main 3D apps - including LW. Also, it ONLY comes with the Pro versions of Poser, AFAIK. I've used it here - actually tested it out a year or so ago - and it worked out fine. Of course I would prefer to animate in LW so it really limits the usage since all animation is done in Poser and then moved over to LW.

Philbert
05-25-2012, 07:20 PM
Oh yeah I really could have used that for the project I mentioned above.

BTW you can get Poser Debut for free via TrialPay.com You just have to sign up for a free trial of some other service. I did Stamps.com

http://www.trialpay.com/checkout/?c=0da7be6&tid=9ahQh9a