PDA

View Full Version : OpenGL trouble with G5 and Radeon 9800...

retter7
10-24-2003, 03:02 PM
G5 - Dual 2 gig. 2MB RAM
OS X 10.2.8
ATI Radeon 9800 Pro Mac Edition - Driver 1.1.0 (From ATI site)

Lightwave v. 7.5c

OS X 10.2.8

I am having trouble with transparency in OpenGL with the new system. I've updated everything possible and the problem persists. Description of problem.
Any bjects with transparency display in OpenGL as they should when they are selected in object mode. When deselected, the objects become opaque. Rendering is fine, showing transparency as it should be. This is only on screen in OpenGL.

I am attaching screen grabs...the first shows the scene as it should be with the object with transparency selected. You can clearly see the pipe object behind. The second shows the object having turned opaque when not selected.

This is something that Newtek T.S. hasn't seen, but are willing to look at...time permitting. For ATI?...they could care less and tell me to call Apple. Apple alternately says to call ATI. This is a major workflow problem for me. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Ryan

mlinde
10-26-2003, 04:05 PM
I'm assuming you can document the exact steps to reproduce? Post the steps, if you can.

eblu
10-27-2003, 05:26 AM
that thing looks like a plane with an image applied to it. You appear to be creating 3-d elements for print? why not use a Background image? that way the image will be behind your objects, not needing transparency.

retter7
10-27-2003, 06:48 AM
thanks for the replies. I'm a victim of habit and have odd quirks that cause me to prefer it this way. One of which is that after parenting the plane to the camera, I can swing the camera in any direction rather than the objects. This gives me the benefit of keeping everything on the 90 degree for easy light placement. I'm an illustrator so I probably approach things innefficiently, but it works. I will however take the suggestion and try working with the image in the background. The rub is that this is a failure of the card, driver, or LW and I shouldn't have to.

Posting steps...this may be what you're asking for.

I create a single poly that has the same aspect ration of the image I'm creating.

Set the camera perams to match poly.

Load the poly plane to LO. Map sketch with auto fit. Set trans to 70%. Pump luminosity to 100% which keeps the sketch visible if I move the lights away.

Parent it to the camera.

Move it to position.

Start loading objects and putting them into position...any distortion and such.

This is the rub. Since OpenGL can no longer display objects as transparent when deselected, I can't see through the sketch.

If anyones interested...check my work out at www.ryanetterillustration.com

eblu
10-27-2003, 07:51 AM
retter7
try the background image thing, you may find it easier, than your current setup, but... you could also probably move the plane back behind the 3d objects, and still avoid the openGL display error.

retter7
10-27-2003, 07:58 AM
Thanks eblu...good suggestion. I guess I'm stuck in a rut and should be flexible. If nothing else, it may be refreshing to change the way I work, not to mention keep me working on the G5.

Now, I plan on leaving Panther on my shelf. I've been reading too many bug reports to invite any more problems.