PDA

View Full Version : Minority Report on the horizon?

cagey5
05-22-2012, 03:48 PM
I'm not a fan of waving my arms in the air to control computers but this is both affordable and potentially very powerful

http://leapmotion.com/

jasonwestmas
05-22-2012, 03:57 PM
Hey, it's still a great workout! :D It's doable if the screen/software can read simple and more subtle gestures.

cagey5
05-22-2012, 03:59 PM
Well it's been quoted as being 200 times more accurate than existing devices [read kinect] so subtle shouldn't be a problem.

shrox
05-22-2012, 04:10 PM
The images of the hands seem to show how it tracks, it has point cloud models of your fingers it appears.

Markc
05-22-2012, 05:06 PM
Call me sceptical, but it seems very cheap (almost too good to be true).
I notice there is no Paypal option.

probiner
05-22-2012, 05:59 PM
If it's not pointed at you but only to your hands in a upward angle it's a advantage right?
Altough like jason said, nice workout :D

Anyway, looks very compact and smooth.

JonW
05-22-2012, 06:09 PM
What happens when you get pis..d off at the computer & you stick your finger up at it?

ncr100
05-22-2012, 10:38 PM
what happens when you get pis..d off at the computer & you stick your finger up at it?

"undo!"

ccclarke
05-22-2012, 10:54 PM
Now, if Newtek could only get LW and Unity to work with this, you wouldn't have to move your hands!

http://www.emotiv.com/

CCC

kopperdrake
05-23-2012, 06:19 AM
Whilst very impressive technology-wise, try this...

The next day you have free, sit down at your computer, hold your hands out in front of you, and stay like that for 7 hours. By all means take an hour for lunch, wobble your hands around, stand up even. But desktop computers will not have their mouse replaced by this.

Still, great for presentation setups.

erikals
05-23-2012, 06:32 AM
hm, maybe something for the hand-mocap future... (?)

Bill Carey
05-23-2012, 09:32 AM
3dConnexion may finally have some competition in the alternative controller arena.

akademus
05-24-2012, 12:31 AM
There is developers section and SDK for it. With some programming and nodal motion input this has a potential of turning into a interesting animation and modeling (sculpting!?) tool.

biliousfrog
05-24-2012, 05:58 AM

The next day you have free, sit down at your computer, hold your hands out in front of you, and stay like that for 7 hours. By all means take an hour for lunch, wobble your hands around, stand up even. But desktop computers will not have their mouse replaced by this.

That was my initial thought too but, for $70, I could happily attach it to the bottom of my 24" IPS display and have a cheap Cintiq...shame there's no pressure sensitivity but maybe a 3D connection device in the other hand could control opacity, stroke width etc?

SBowie
05-24-2012, 07:56 AM
I've got a few alternative input devices, but it'll be a long time before anything really usurps the role of my mouse for general purpose operations. That said, while I certainly wouldn't want to be fored to use something like this all the time, it could be very nice when working with multiple screens. The mouse can be a bit of a pain at times (now where in blazes did the pointer go?), and it would be great to be able to (for example) hold down a kb qualifier to enable gestural support, and use a flick gesture to drag windows or files from one monitor to the other.

ncr100
05-25-2012, 12:37 AM

A way around that strain would be to have your wrists supported, and hands descending into small bucket-like regions cut into your desk. Kind of like a sink, but with ergonomic supports for your arms.