PDA

View Full Version : Instancing query

adrian
05-22-2012, 02:37 AM
Whilst I think this is awesome in LW11 I have a small annoyance with it in that whenever I set up instances with points, the objects do not place themselves where the points are - they are some way over to the left/top so I have to use the offset settings to get them where I want them.

This in turn seems to be adversely affecting the scale & rotation - kind of like when the pivot point on an object is way off centre. Except I made sure the pivot of the object to be instanced was centred.

Is this a bug or am I doing something wrong? I'm using LW11, without the latest update.

Lewis
05-22-2012, 02:41 AM
Only thing to be sure is that your objects PIVOT point is in the center. You say it already is but be sure you saved it that way in modeler not moved pivot in layout or so.

adrian
05-22-2012, 04:57 AM
Ok thanks will try that & double-check everything. I'm 99.9% certain I centred the pivot in modeller though.

Nice to know it shouldn't be happening anyway!

Lewis
05-22-2012, 05:01 AM
Hmm you did set instancing placement to POINTs mode also - right ? I believe default is Pivot or so. just checking :).

adrian
05-22-2012, 07:50 AM
Yep, instancing set to points, not pivot. Both items definately have their pivots centred but yet when I add the instance to the points, it's way out. I've attached a screenshot.

Tried Oliver's suggestion but couldn't find the "fourth column in the instancer" to change coords from World to Local.

As I say, it's very easy for me to line them up pretty well where I want them, unless I want to rotate and vary the size (which of course I do) at which point it all falls down.

adrian
05-22-2012, 07:57 AM
Scratch that - I just looked at my own screenshot and I found where to change from World to Local - and yes, this worked :thumbsup: