PDA

View Full Version : Kinect now has facial tracking

Ernest
05-21-2012, 10:47 PM
May is turning out to be a pretty interesting month!

Face Tracking Capabilities
Makes it possible to fit a 3D mesh to users’ faces and track their facial features and head position in real time using components from the Developer Toolkit. In addition, newly added joint orientation information for skeletons is ideal for avatar animation scenarios and simple pose detection.

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/kinectforwindows/develop/new.aspx

The regular skeletal tracking was also improved.

Philbert
05-22-2012, 03:16 PM
It looks like this is just Kinect For Windows though unfortunately, different hardware from the Kinect for xbox that many of us use.

cresshead
05-24-2012, 04:21 PM
yeh kinect for windows is higher res and can work much closer to the camera as well as face track..looking forward to someone making a plugin for 3d software to take advantage of it...ipisoft do not seem to have it on their "to do list" so someone else will have to step up to the plate.

our best hope would be blender as they seem proactive in such areas of late with their camera tracker.

littlewaves
05-25-2012, 07:54 AM
looks impressive but not sure how much detail it's tracking so not sure how useful for Facial capture for character work.

The SDK notes say eyebrow position and mouth-shape. Good for basic cartoon characters i guess but I think for anything a bit more realistic you're going to need more than that.

Maybe it does more than it says though

littlewaves
05-25-2012, 08:00 AM
http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/jj130970.aspx

Philbert
05-25-2012, 12:51 PM
The above link is about facial tracking requirements. (in case anyone else wondered)

littlewaves
05-25-2012, 02:51 PM
Yes sorry I should have said what the link was for. It lists the capabilities of the Kinect facial tracking SDK.

It's still pretty basic so I think the results will fall slap bang in the middle of the uncanny valley due to of lack subtle detail but probably very useful for game level stuff.