PDA

View Full Version : Gums and teeth.

Boobyman
05-21-2012, 02:23 PM
Should you model the gums and teeth toghether or seperate? I saw a blender tutorial where the guy modeled the gums first then the teeth and just pasted the teeth in the gums.

nickdigital
05-21-2012, 03:04 PM
Doesn't really matter.

UnCommonGrafx
05-21-2012, 03:13 PM
Do what works for you.
Just remember: it all has to move together.
;)

jasonwestmas
05-21-2012, 09:36 PM
I sometimes normal map and/or use a displacement map for teeth carved into geometry that's solid as a "denture" piece. Teeth and gums that are sculpted feel more natural. Just takes more time of course. Depends on how much of a closeup you need.

Surrealist.
05-21-2012, 10:02 PM
Should you model the gums and teeth toghether or seperate? I saw a blender tutorial where the guy modeled the gums first then the teeth and just pasted the teeth in the gums.

You could do that. I think it is better - depending on the detail needed - to have them separate.

In general it is better to model things they way they are in the real world. In general. Not always the best solution, but many times it works better, faster and more accurate.

I have had to make teeth on two occasions for a client where the teeth were the main focus of the shot - as in a medical animation.

For a character I suppose it depends on the detail needed.

But for my purposes, the way I have done it is to first model a profile of the teeth and gums from the top view as a flat polygon. I work out all of the polyflow so there is a clean loop around the teeth where they meet the gums. There are lots of teeth refs online for this.

I then took the inside polygons where the teeth were (no details on the top of the tooth at this stage) and deleted them. Then extruded the edges around one of the back molars. Then separated this so that I now had a single separate tooth mesh. Using references I then modeled this tooth with all of the details at the top.

Then to make things go much faster, I used this same tooth and copied it and then used proportionate editing (such as dragnet in Modeler) to reshape it for all of the other teeth using the gum holes and photos or side view BG refs and populate the mouth with all of the teeth.

As I got around to the front teeth I would use some sort of smoothing to lessen the detail and drag the back faces down in the shape of these teeth. This was much faster than modeling separate teeth.

I also dragged the bottom edge of tooth down into the gums so there was a "root".

Then I continued to model and reshape the gums so that they fit well around the teeth and have all of the dips where needed.

Boobyman
05-26-2012, 07:25 AM
Thanks guys.

Hey, has anyone ever brought Their Lightwave model into Blender for sculpting? From the tutorials vids i've seen it can create some awesome details.

Also, can you still animate the Blender sculpted Model in LW?

http://i61.photobucket.com/albums/h47/lan73nb/TEETH.jpg

jasonwestmas
05-26-2012, 09:32 AM
well uh, you probably wouldn't animate the sculpt itself, too taxing on the system. Use a high powered displacement map with per pixel subdivision.

Surrealist.
05-26-2012, 09:46 AM
I think you'll get better results if the teeth are separated from each other.

jasonwestmas
05-26-2012, 09:53 AM
lol. . .yeah, I failed to mention that.

safetyman
05-27-2012, 06:03 AM
This was my attempt at modeling teeth. I used a method similar to Surrealist where I basically modeled 1 tooth, then moved, rotated and shaped the others from this one base shape. For the gums I modeled a circular u-shape, made cuts between the teeth, then pulled the points around to match the shape of the teeth.

Boobyman
06-01-2012, 04:24 PM
This was my attempt at modeling teeth. I used a method similar to Surrealist where I basically modeled 1 tooth, then moved, rotated and shaped the others from this one base shape. For the gums I modeled a circular u-shape, made cuts between the teeth, then pulled the points around to match the shape of the teeth.

This has been helpful. Thanks. I just switched to a 64 bit PC and it's faster, but my model is blocky. Yes, i'm hitting the Tab button.

http://i61.photobucket.com/albums/h47/lan73nb/NU-TEETH.jpg

K-Dawg
06-01-2012, 04:50 PM
1. Make sure you have Smoothing activated for the assigned surface in the surface editor.
2. If in Modler (What I think is the case) make sure you have Smooth Shaded or Textured selected as your Viewport Render Mode.