PDA

View Full Version : Can you instance like the array tool?

Bax33
05-20-2012, 06:42 PM
Just experimenting with instancing, but it doesn't seem like it is working. Of course, I'm certain it is me, not LW. It seems to me that I should be able to make it work the same as the array tool in modeler [in rectangle mode].

I created simple a object and loaded it to layout. I created an instancing generator and set all modes to Uniform. Everywhere there is a random, I set to uniform. Then I changed only the offset to 5m for Z and set the number of instances to 5. I get 5 instances, roughly 5 meters away, but they are all jumbled up together. Some are higher, farther back and all overlap. I thought you could use instancing to fill a parking lot for example, but you must be able to keep all instances on the same plane and on the ground. I haven't been able to figure out how to do this. Is there a way? What am I missing?

ncr100
05-20-2012, 07:49 PM
There's two places to set positional offsets (at least two) in the Instancer dialog. If I understand correctly, you want to change the type to "Rectangular Array" like the attached screenshot.

Is this what you're looking for?

Bax33
05-20-2012, 08:12 PM
Of course. It makes perfect sense. Thanks so much. My eyes went right over that option. Thanks again.

ncr100
05-20-2012, 08:22 PM
Right on!