PDA

View Full Version : Service Pack? available in the registration downloads area?

prometheus
05-20-2012, 10:38 AM
Havenīt actually downloaded the service pack for LW 11.
Now I was first trying out my older download links, but that doesnt work, so is the service pack within the Lightwave 11.0.1? there in the My account/registration area/my downloads? those were added at 04-17-2012

If so..They could communicate that better directly with a simple..service pack release text note...why is that so hard?
Michael

BeeVee
05-20-2012, 02:36 PM
11.0.1 *is* the service pack version of LightWave. Build 2253 instead of Build 2238.

B

prometheus
05-20-2012, 02:41 PM
11.0.1 *is* the service pack version of LightWave. Build 2253 instead of Build 2238.

B

Thanks beeVee..I suspected that, but even with the 11.0.1, It would be wise to simply add the note,! service pack 1 included !in the text description next to the download, Canīt figure out why that wasnīt done..why confuse people? I suspect I wonīt be the only one asking this?

Anyway..thanks.

Michael

Silkrooster
05-20-2012, 11:55 PM
Thanks beeVee..I suspected that, but even with the 11.0.1, It would be wise to simply add the note,! service pack 1 included !in the text description next to the download, Canīt figure out why that wasnīt done..why confuse people? I suspect I wonīt be the only one asking this?

Anyway..thanks.

Michael

I figure using the (version #.#.#) numeric system is more than clear enough. Whenever that number increases, you know its an upgrade.

prometheus
05-21-2012, 12:26 AM
I figure using the (version #.#.#) numeric system is more than clear enough. Whenever that number increases, you know its an upgrade.

uhhm..I might be somewhat obstinate here...but why would that be clear enough? it will be from now on for me at least.

you would have to know that for sure first, before you could make that assumption.
Sure I could guess and suspect based on the numbers and the date the files was added, but I donīt like to guess when the hard fact can be stated clearly.

The whole release of the service pack version seemed a bit off regarding how to distribute it, first by sending out information that the old installers are replaced etc, and with information on that if it doesnīt work, wich it didnīt..you should contact customer support for providing links.
Would have been so much easier to simply put them up in the registration download area from the very beginning like" lightwave 11.0.1 SP1"

Very simple and easy to figure out...without confusions.
Michael

Chuck
05-21-2012, 10:09 AM
uhhm..I might be somewhat obstinate here...but why would that be clear enough? it will be from now on for me at least.

you would have to know that for sure first, before you could make that assumption.
Sure I could guess and suspect based on the numbers and the date the files was added, but I donīt like to guess when the hard fact can be stated clearly.

The whole release of the service pack version seemed a bit off regarding how to distribute it, first by sending out information that the old installers are replaced etc, and with information on that if it doesnīt work, wich it didnīt..you should contact customer support for providing links.
Would have been so much easier to simply put them up in the registration download area from the very beginning like" lightwave 11.0.1 SP1"

Very simple and easy to figure out...without confusions.
Michael

All of the whys and wherefores were discussed publicly; there were in place for a while plans to change away from providing files in registration but within a day of the release it was clear that was really the best means and the files were put up, and for the foreseeable future we're back to that as the best means to provide updates.

In all the emails sent out and in the forum posts here announcing the release of Service Pack 1, both the Service Pack 1 and the 11.0.1 designation were clearly stated. For example:

NewTek is pleased now to follow that success by announcing the release of LightWave 11 Service Pack 1 (aka, 11.0.1), a maintenance update based on the feedback users have provided in the first few weeks of use of LightWave 11.0.

That sentence appeared in both the emails and the forum posts.

prometheus
05-21-2012, 12:10 PM
All of the whys and wherefores were discussed publicly; there were in place for a while plans to change away from providing files in registration but within a day of the release it was clear that was really the best means and the files were put up, and for the foreseeable future we're back to that as the best means to provide updates.

In all the emails sent out and in the forum posts here announcing the release of Service Pack 1, both the Service Pack 1 and the 11.0.1 designation were clearly stated. For example:

That sentence appeared in both the emails and the forum posts.

Yes indeed, but I actually missed that statement in the mail, and I read it some time ago and wasnīt eager to download it at that time, so that simply passed me by when I finally went looking for it...thatīs why it would be so much easier to simply name it correctly with descriptions, and yes I might be obnoxious about it, but I just canīt for the life of me figure out why it isnīt described or named in a proper way (except for in previous mails, or discussion forums wich I missed) is it too much to simply add the note next to it stating it to be the service pack, uneccessary or what?

Thanks for clarifying it anyway, and I think it was a great decision to continue having updates on the registration download pages.

Cheers

Michael