PDA

View Full Version : save object for particular scene?

Archigram
05-19-2012, 10:11 AM
I am using the same set of objects in a series of scenes, but each scene will have different surface settings. If i save my objects after adjusting the surface in one scene I believe that changes the surface settings on the object for all scenes. Is that correct?

Is there a way around this, short of duplicating and renaming my objects for each scene? (there are hundreds of them) -- or else manually reloading the surface settings for each render?

many thanks

erikals
05-19-2012, 10:19 AM
"Package Scene" maybe?...

nickdigital
05-19-2012, 10:30 AM
Maybe this'll help but it sounds like you need more individual control over your objects.
http://db-w.com/products/shadermeister/about

dwburman
05-19-2012, 10:58 AM
What types of surface settings are changing?

If it's something simple, you could set things up so you could control it with a null. That way your surface settings are based on a scene element. The downside is that this adds a layer of complexity and could be a real pain if something goes wrong or the surface gets disconnected from the controlling null.

Using package scene, like Erikals suggested, would be a handy way for setting up separate models for different shots. You might want to do a batch rename on the files (and a search/replace in the .lws files) to give yourself a better indication what's what in case you see your files outside of their shot folder.

Archigram
05-19-2012, 11:19 AM
Thanks folks for the quick responses.

My surfaces are incredibly simple! I am changing color and line weights only-- no node surfacing.

It looks like the shadermeister plugin would work (though the price makes me hesitate). I found "package scene" among the plugins, but am not sure how that works-- I'll do some investigation.
Nulls looks like an interesting option too.
And batch renaming my list of objects would solve my problems as well.

Thank you all for your suggestions-- now i'll get to work.