PDA

View Full Version : Iron Sky, Battlestar Galactica Vets Open Indie GoGo project

robertoortiz
05-19-2012, 07:41 AM
Quote:
"If you are you tired of crappy sci-fi shows and films? Do you wish there was something else out there that you could sink your teeth into without the fear of some silly executive somewhere in some office cancelling your favorite TV show? Are you tired of paying extra to see a movie in S3D only to have it suck anyway? Are you tired of re-hashed ideas you have seen before done again and done badly even after the film or TV show has had millions of dollars thrown at it? Are you just flat out bored of whats on TV right now because its all super predicatable crap? Well so am I and I want to something about it,but I need your help.

My name is Kelly Lee Myers and I am the writer and creator of "Stasys". Before I tell you more about the project here is a little bit of background detail about myself.

For almost 20 years I have been working in just about every aspect of modern media you can think of. You name it, I've done it. My day job though is VFX. I do pretty much everything from on set VFX supervision, CG Supervision in post production and I'm also a talented and experienced VFX artist, compositor, VFX consultant. Chances are you have seen or even heard my work over the years.

Most notibly I was the VFX Consultant for Battlestar Galactica on Seasons II and III and recently finished up on Iron Sky as the CG Supervisor on that feature film. If you want you can click on my IMDB page for more details and a list of shows (although incomplete) that I have worked on in Vancouver and elsewhere around the world. I'm currently completing a stereoscopic short film for a company working with the tools and techniques I have mastered over the years and soon (starting full time july 31st) I will begin to complete a quest that started in 2008. In a sense, I will be taking all of my life long experience and knowledge and applying it to a single project. - Stasys -

"

http://www.indiegogo.com/stasys-series?c=home

joelaff
05-19-2012, 10:20 AM
Good luck, and I hope it turns out great. I find it very difficult to find good sci-fi. A lot of BSG was cool, though some of it got tedious at times. At least the production value was good, and the lighting and cinematography was good (often great in some of the later seasons.)

So much of the sci-fi stuff is junk, rehashed stories as you say. I think it is tough to do well, because it NEEDS to have good VFX to work, unlike some movies, where you can forgive the green spill and blurred, undulating edges on the actors in a comedy, for instance.

I have never done a lot of sci-fi work myself. I am a twenty year veteran of VFX, with a background in commercial large format photography, focusing on commercials because I like the new challenge all the time.

I am not much of a fan of stereo 3d, but sometimes it works. I tend to prefer a bright clean, 2d image, IMAX if you got it.

Hopefully, as indie film progresses, this type of thing can take off, presenting one creative vision, not watered down by the media companies. Keep us up to date.

djlithium
05-19-2012, 01:57 PM
I am not much of a fan of stereo 3d, but sometimes it works. I tend to prefer a bright clean, 2d image, IMAX if you got it.

Hopefully, as indie film progresses, this type of thing can take off, presenting one creative vision, not watered down by the media companies. Keep us up to date.

Thanks for your encouragement Joe, and I hear you on the stereo side of things. To your pleasant surprise though I think you will enjoy the stereoscopic and shooting style planned for Stasys. The shooting style itself is a return to classic cinematography in a big way. Locked off cameras or on tripods more often than not (there will be minimal if any jerky-coffee-addict cam movement in this show if any) and the sets are inspired by 2001, the Modern Times short movie that came out a couple of years ago (which stunned me when I saw it because it was nearly identical to what I had in mind), the first Alien film on board the Nostromo, the gravity couch area of the Event Horizon (but in soft white and brightly lit) and Outland with Sean Connery (no one remembers that film but me it seems).

For the stereoscopic side of the show, part of the reason why I have decided to go completely CG (costs being one of them) is that I can have absolute control over the stereoscopic process and we will be using UberCam2.0 (in beta now) for this. UberCam2.0 supports all the stereo functions of the stereocamera from UberCam 1.9, works as well if not better in some ways than the LW stereoscopic solution and will send an F9 render directly to a quadbuffered stereoscopic display/video card solution (in this case a FirePro 3900 or higher graphics card using HDMI 1.4a as the transport of course and then routed to an LG LED 3D 47" TV) so I can check things every step of the way. During our development of UberCam 2.0 we have come up with a special formula to ensure awesome stereoscopic results EVERY TIME, while still giving you manual control. It's so easy to use now its awesome!

I will be in the office this weekend working on Stasys and hope to have some stereo tests up soon. Believe it or not, because youtube supports 4K resolutions as source material (yes, 4K! the only online video service in the world that does this) it may be possible for us to use that per eye.

Just to clarify that means 4K resolution per eye making for an 7992x2160 resolution stereoscopic format (double wide renders are how UberCam works for stereoscopic). Obviously its all going to be about render times, but even if we don't do 4K renders on our end the minimum output for each eye will be digital cinema 2K 1998x1080 (1:89 aspect ratio). I'm not going any lower than that.

This means that when it gets hit by the youtube compression, the more, accurate pixels it gets fed into their encoders, the better the output for viewing at their stepped down resolutions below 1080p will be.

The results are going to be clean, bright and enjoyable to look at and this is why we have spent almost a year developing UberCam2.0 and are going with LightWave for the rendering solution (along with just about everything else along the way). The compositing process will be minimal and I won't stand for the render being beating to shizen in that stage. I have seen and worked on so many shows over the last 7 years where this takes place and kills the quality and its not going to happen on Stasys. The goal is to make it as photorealistic as possible out of the box with LightWave and I know I can get it there with the support of the community and the involvement of great artists from it.
So thank you for your support!

Oh yeah, we broke the 1600 dollar mark today for raising cash so if you haven't contributed yet, please do. www.indiegogo.com/stasys-series

shrox
05-19-2012, 02:11 PM
I build ships, do you need ships?

Philbert
05-20-2012, 01:47 AM
Yes, I'm available too if you're looking for help.

djlithium
05-20-2012, 02:38 AM
Yes, we will need ships. Really, really big ones!
I have to stress though that this stuff all needs to look as absolutely close to photo-realistic as possible.
It can be done and I know the community is capable of it when pushed, so for anyone who wants on board its a "pull up your socks" kind of situation. The idea of course though that this entire thing will be more than resume fodder, but a statement to the rest of the 3D world. LightWave is back and so are we.

erikals
05-20-2012, 07:59 AM
 
hey, any concept art coming up?

 

djwaterman
05-20-2012, 10:08 AM
I think the $17.500 target is set too low, I've seen cheap video documentaries get well in excess of that figure through crowd funding. At least $30.000 wouldn't you say, I don't know how these things work and maybe you have a strategy in play that requires a lower target. It all sound exciting especially if you start showing some tease art or tests, surely you'll need more money even just to get it going. All those credentials you list seem to me that you could get a lot more than you're asking.

prometheus
05-20-2012, 11:23 AM
Interesting to follow how this works out, and how well Iron sky will do for that matter, it is good that people like kelly cat, raises some fuzz about fund raising like this and also put the speaker out to talented artists here on the forums:thumbsup:

Ivé always been a scifi & space nerd, loving blade runner the two first alien movies and the three original first star wars movies, not much cg in there but the models had that lighting and shading realism to them that still canīt be beat mostly, I think they failed in the CG in many objects within the last star wars movies.

I am so sad over that I never have had any time over to work on building spaceships, Has in fact never done one...only drawing as a kid or sculpting in clay, and some visions of spaceships are still hiding in the somewhere on the dark side within my brain.

What reference of photorealistic space ships are out there that would fullfill you vision of it Kat? links to images?

God luck with this Kat!

Some exciting shows with Prometheus coming up on the screen soon and Iron sky...love it.

Michael

djlithium
05-20-2012, 02:26 PM
I think the $17.500 target is set too low, I've seen cheap video documentaries get well in excess of that figure through crowd funding. At least $30.000 wouldn't you say, I don't know how these things work and maybe you have a strategy in play that requires a lower target. It all sound exciting especially if you start showing some tease art or tests, surely you'll need more money even just to get it going. All those credentials you list seem to me that you could get a lot more than you're asking.

Hi there. 17,500 is for round one pre-production construction of sets, legal and characters stuff. It's not the only round we will do for fund raising and its not the total cost of the pilot, not by a long shot, so we decided to do it in chewable chunks. There will probably be 3 fundraising rounds. This one which runs until July 31st (the longest campaign) and then two shorter ones.

djlithium
05-20-2012, 02:27 PM
 
hey, any concept art coming up?

 

Yes. Coming shortly. I do need to get a hold of one artist on here who I would like to work with hands on for one of the character concepts. Need to pull out the roledex as I have lost his number.

shrox
05-20-2012, 03:14 PM
Yes, we will need ships. Really, really big ones!
I have to stress though that this stuff all needs to look as absolutely close to photo-realistic as possible.
It can be done and I know the community is capable of it when pushed, so for anyone who wants on board its a "pull up your socks" kind of situation. The idea of course though that this entire thing will be more than resume fodder, but a statement to the rest of the 3D world. LightWave is back and so are we.

My strengths are ship design, modeling and cinematography. Find some lighting and texture experts, and some happy ships could be cruising along... I have a letter of recommendation from NASA as well.

djlithium
05-28-2012, 12:09 AM
The Campaign is picking up speed! http://www.indiegogo.com/stasys-series
IF you want in on the production email me, PM me or skype me (djlithium).

djlithium
05-28-2012, 12:14 AM
I

Ivé always been a scifi & space nerd, loving blade runner the two first alien movies and the three original first star wars movies, not much cg in there but the models had that lighting and shading realism to them that still canīt be beat mostly, I think they failed in the CG in many objects within the last star wars movies.

I am so sad over that I never have had any time over to work on building spaceships, Has in fact never done one...only drawing as a kid or sculpting in clay, and some visions of spaceships are still hiding in the somewhere on the dark side within my brain.

What reference of photorealistic space ships are out there that would fullfill you vision of it Kat? links to images?

God luck with this Kat!

Some exciting shows with Prometheus coming up on the screen soon and Iron sky...love it.

Michael

heheh, raising fuzz, I like that... :) I'm going to have to use that some where.

The most important part at this stage is the interiors of the one "ship". Skype me so I can add you to the production chat room there and get you sorted with further details.

Kat = ^..^ fuzzrazor. errr...

DigitalSorcery8
05-28-2012, 02:27 PM
I guess we better get our asses in gear on this one. Lots of money to collect and this is one project I would LOVE to see have enough so that everything isn't an obstacle to overcome. I'll be posting my monetary support sometime this week.

I also can't wait to get the DVD/Bluray of Iron Sky - the OFFICIAL version with all of the trimmings of course! Don't know if or when it will be shown here in the US, but then we haven't gone to the movies in years because of the recession.

Anyway... I hope to see this project completed and with LOTS of support! :thumbsup:

erikals
05-28-2012, 03:13 PM
much better http://erikalstad.com/backup/misc.php_files/smile.gif

http://d2oadd98wnjs7n.cloudfront.net/medias/250952/pictures/full/20120527162303-2nd_render_34mCCed_Test4.jpg?1338161007

i guess this means you guys are going for a semi-photorealistic look?
i like the style, pure photorealistic is too difficult imo, and often ends in the uncanny valley.

p.s consider to fix the gamut in post to make it look less CG...
see attachment...

 

erikals
05-28-2012, 03:32 PM
 
reminds me a bit of Mr. Rids Miri render, which i thought had a nice CG look.
yours is slightly more detailed/realistic, which i find a bit better for this http://erikalstad.com/backup/misc.php_files/smile.gif
http://forums.newtek.com/showthread.php?t=122348

Mr. Rids Miri >
http://forums.newtek.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=98130&thumb=1&d=1316048463 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XL80fpke528)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XL80fpke528

 

djlithium
05-28-2012, 08:08 PM
Thanks guys. This is just using a simple skin shader and the default color maps from the daz export so far. A few of us have taken a stab at it when we have a few spare minutes each. The final characters will look a hell of a lot better once I have the actors shot and the character models built using those photos. Before a lot of that can proceed I have to deal with some legal issues concerning waivers for them from ACTRA (local canadian actors guild) but in the mean time these characters are serving as good testing grounds because if we get get them to look as photorealistic as possible the we can cross the valley so to speak with the real actor based models and hi-res photographs.
:)

DigitalSorcery8
06-09-2012, 01:03 AM
So how is this project going?

Where's the latest update? :)

Philbert
06-09-2012, 01:15 AM
There should be a big update coming pretty soon. Can't say any more than that.

shrox
06-09-2012, 10:55 AM
Do you need ships or what?

djlithium
06-09-2012, 02:34 PM
So how is this project going?

Where's the latest update? :)

Hi guys and gals.

Most of this last week has been meetings and tests. I have one very important meeting on Monday when it comes to the "art department" and I will be a very happy camper if that person agrees to come on board. You have all seen his work before. This will trigger a larger chain of events when it comes to sets and ship construction so hang tight.

We now have about 250Ghz worth of rendering power dedicated to the project all in one spot and networked up and cooking some tests this weekend in 2K DCinema stereo to see how it does for times and see if anything glitches.

Contract negotiations and waivers for our two Lead Actors are in progress, dealing with Actra and UBCP on that so its going as fast as they move, not much I can do there or tell you who is who until that's sorted. Just part of the rules.

For you bold modelers out there and I know some of you are chomping at the bit, there will be a requirement to have built an incredible huge ARK construction site/station in orbit of Jupiter. Concept art (please read first paragraph above) is coming. If all goes according to plan this will be on opportunity to build off of world class concept artist material. When the time comes to get this built, I want to see extensive use of LightWave11's instancing capabilities on the level of reaching almost ridiculous. Part of the purpose (a big one) of doing Stasys is to show off what LightWave11 can do so this is a great opportunity on that front.

I will have more information soon, but I have to run into the office now to do a production meeting on skype with the rest of the crew.
For those of you interested in participating you MUST skype me or email me. skype is "djlithium" email is [email protected] stasys.tv or [email protected] liberty3d.com

Cheers!

lwanmtr
06-12-2012, 11:50 PM
Yeah, you need ships, tech, food?

djlithium
06-13-2012, 01:08 AM
Everyone - please re-read my last post above with regards to "if you want to be involved you must contact me via skype or email". I'm not on the forums much any more because of my schedule so email and skype is the best place and first place of preference for me to discuss things further. Please and thank yous :)

In other news and this is very cool:
I had a fantastic meeting with (can't say name yet) last night for 3 hours regarding Stasys and concept art and production design for the show going forward. Now is the time to put up your hand and volunteer or contribute to the campaign if you can. I have received several emails regarding volunteers and whats needed and I'm going through them so hang tight (its a lot of email) but you have to do it through email or skype - not on these forums. Just not the place for it right now (and this is temporary).

Thank you for your understanding and support!

djlithium
06-13-2012, 01:11 AM
oh, one last thing - www.stasys.tv is up and running but we are still putting in some expansion modules and gallery stuff plus a forum there as well. Eventually there will be a back stage type area where volunteers can only access while the production process evolves and churns over assets and shots.

djlithium
07-06-2012, 08:47 PM
Here are some additional images for our sets on "Stasys". Special thanks to Alx Axlsson and Tobian for their work on these sets!~

(Please note that these are all still VERY MUCH works in progress).

We need your support! Please visit the Indiegogo Campaign page here at www.indiegogo.com/stasys-series (http://www.indiegogo.com/stasys-series)
and make a contribution of a few bucks if you can, more if you are able. If you can't do that, spread the word using the share tools on the campaign page or spread around www.stasys.tv to friends, family on facebook and elsewhere.

Thank you everyone for your encouragement and support. I had a bit of (well okay major) set back on other fronts last week, but because of a lot of encouragement - onward and forward I say! :)

https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-snc6/182099_10151046755496203_1396292667_n.jpg

shrox
07-06-2012, 08:51 PM
Did you get my email?

Waves of light
07-07-2012, 06:53 AM
Going to keep an eye on this. If I can give anything towards I will contact you.

djwaterman
07-07-2012, 09:37 AM
I had some reservations about this whole project but seeing those set designs has blown them all away. That is world class production design and the render looks like 2001, totally faultless and tangible. I'm more impressed with that corridor than anything I saw in Prometheus, I mean it.

OnlineRender
07-07-2012, 10:19 AM
there is a lot of compression on that image think its wordpress causing it ... "cleaner version"

http://www.stasys.tv/images_uploads/fix.png

prometheus
07-07-2012, 10:19 AM
I had some reservations about this whole project but seeing those set designs has blown them all away. That is world class production design and the render looks like 2001, totally faultless and tangible. I'm more impressed with that corridor than anything I saw in Prometheus, I mean it.

Yeez, was prometheus that bad?
Cant really say anything myself since I havenīt seen it.
What in prometheus do you refer too regarding set extensions?

Michael

prometheus
07-07-2012, 10:21 AM
Yes..I noticed it wasnīt clean..

Michael

djwaterman
07-07-2012, 07:09 PM
I just prefer the simplicity of this design, the color scheme, the bright lighting. It stands out in an iconic way, my mind can take it in at a glance, I'm not confused by it, it doesn't look like game art. There's plenty of "cool" design work in Prometheus but none of it sticks in the mind.

lwanmtr
07-09-2012, 04:47 PM
The corridor looks pretty cool, my only critique is the depth of feild is too narrow

erikals
07-13-2012, 03:24 PM
there is a lot of compression on that image think its wordpress causing it ... "cleaner version"

post as .png = solved ;]

p.s. good render !