PDA

View Full Version : Surface creator

firegryphon
05-17-2012, 11:13 AM
This is probably a dumb question and an even dumber idea, but has anyone made or even tried to make an iPhone app that uses a subset of picture from an iPhone camera to create a surface loadable by the surface editor? I mean like have all the basic properties filled in (color, diffuse, specularity, glossiness, reflection etc) and possibly the ability to use that subset of the photo as a texture?

I think it would be cool to walk around town and see something, point my phone at it and save it as a surface to play with later on.

UnCommonGrafx
05-17-2012, 01:07 PM
You mean ... like a photo?

Yeah, some ole guys have done that since phones got cameras.

But hey, the resolution wouldn't be so great. Not so bad, either.

Or do you mean a program to make seamless tiles? Ibid.

firegryphon
05-17-2012, 03:18 PM
Well more than just a photo. I mean like making the surface that lightwave would read including all the presets for surface properties such that it as close as possible resembles the section of the picture. And then possibly adding the picture as a texture on top of it. I know some people can see something and instantly see what all the properties are. I have to sit there and play with the properties and scratch my head until I get it right and I certainly can't do it from a mere photo.

UnCommonGrafx
05-17-2012, 03:27 PM
Ah.

You may have given someone an idea as to what to make next.

Transparency, reflection and 'shininess' would be amazing conversion algorithms to have at ones disposal.

I think much more of such a skill comes more from practicing the recognition and observation of physical phenomena and beginning the process of cataloging your understandings, either in writing or in your mind. From there, application of it in LW.

I think most of us work until we get it right; that time shortens with experience.

That you can't today means you get to practice more. ;)

sublimationman
05-17-2012, 04:22 PM
Weird, I was thinking about something like this a few weeks ago. I was not picturing an iPhone app but rather a dedicated device like they use when calibrating printers. Like a USB device that you place on a surface and gives you most of the surface attributes.

I was thinking it could even give a bump map, transparency, translucency, refraction and reflection. Figuring they might need a tiny bit of tweaking on the first product release but would get better with time to the point where no one would need to manually make surfaces anymore and you would have libraries of millions of different ones.