PDA

View Full Version : SubSurface Scattering Nodes Never Work!

HolyMonkey-
05-17-2012, 10:41 AM
The general sub surface scattering tools never seem to work for me.

SSS, Kappa, DP Backlit. Here is different SS setups ive made, that have little to pretty much no effect.

http://forums.newtek.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=104420&stc=1&d=1337272732

http://forums.newtek.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=104421&stc=1&d=1337272861

http://www.fosna-folket.no/incoming/article261462.ece/ALTERNATES/w980-default/td+talglys+str%C3%B8001.jpg

Look at the red candle, how clear the subsurface scattering is on it. Now take a look at my light... :(

RebelHill
05-17-2012, 10:44 AM
why on EARTH... would you plug them into the translucency input??

Translucency is just a basic translucent effect kinda like lowering opacity on a layer in photshop or similar.

SSS nodes are SHADERS... they need to plug into shading inputs (specifically in this case, diffuse shading). Read the nodes section of the docs... all this is explained.

HolyMonkey-
05-17-2012, 10:52 AM
why on EARTH... would you plug them into the translucency input??

Translucency is just a basic translucent effect kinda like lowering opacity on a layer in photshop or similar.

SSS nodes are SHADERS... they need to plug into shading inputs (specifically in this case, diffuse shading). Read the nodes section of the docs... all this is explained.

Dayum! Although last time I plugged it into diffuse it went black.. I will have a look. =)

RebelHill
05-17-2012, 11:01 AM
If it goes black its because you've got something set wrong. Possibly colour, diffuse amount, even double sidedness for some, who knows. Again, reading the docs on each specific node will tell you how they're supposed to be used.

HolyMonkey-
05-17-2012, 11:31 AM
If it goes black its because you've got something set wrong. Possibly colour, diffuse amount, even double sidedness for some, who knows. Again, reading the docs on each specific node will tell you how they're supposed to be used.

So the colors on the connectin outputs / inputs does have a logical purpose... I get it. In regards to the SS, im reading in the docks, and there isnt much on the blackness.. All other Sub surface scattering devices work aside from the SS and omega.

Ive tried pretty much everything with the material upping lowering diffuse, double sided no double sided, trasnparrancy reflection and what not.. nothing affects the blackness.

RebelHill
05-17-2012, 11:48 AM
well you'll have to post an example then. But don't expect the docs to tell you all the different possible erroneous effects that you could run into... only how things are supposed to be used to begin with.

HolyMonkey-
05-17-2012, 11:57 AM
well you'll have to post an example then. But don't expect the docs to tell you all the different possible erroneous effects that you could run into... only how things are supposed to be used to begin with.

These are just random numbers in order to try and get some different effect.

Could you try to just knock up and object add SS to it and se what happens?

http://forums.newtek.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=104422&stc=1&d=1337277400

RebelHill
05-17-2012, 12:05 PM
No I meant upload your object so we can see where its wrong.

If I make an object, add SSS... it'll work, and we'll have uncovered nothing.

HolyMonkey-
05-17-2012, 12:11 PM
No I meant upload your object so we can see where its wrong.

If I make an object, add SSS... it'll work, and we'll have uncovered nothing.

http://forums.newtek.com/enlighten/attach/lwo.gif

RebelHill
05-17-2012, 12:30 PM
Ok... well, I open it up, doesnt come out black for me... So Im guessing youve just not turned on the appropriate ray trace options in your render globals.

But second, I see now that your SSS bit isnt the "bowl" shaped bit... its the little t-light candle inside it... in which case, why are you even bothering with SSS? The nice, soft, translucent effect of scattering only really shows itself when you can see another side of the mesh for light to exit from. All you can see of this wax is just the top side of it, and its perfectly flat too... so even if u had the shader working perfectly... there'd be no point, as it'd just look like a plain ol surface.

HolyMonkey-
05-17-2012, 12:38 PM
Ok... well, I open it up, doesnt come out black for me... So Im guessing youve just not turned on the appropriate ray trace options in your render globals.

But second, I see now that your SSS bit isnt the "bowl" shaped bit... its the little t-light candle inside it... in which case, why are you even bothering with SSS? The nice, soft, translucent effect of scattering only really shows itself when you can see another side of the mesh for light to exit from. All you can see of this wax is just the top side of it, and its perfectly flat too... so even if u had the shader working perfectly... there'd be no point, as it'd just look like a plain ol surface.

Alright thanks for the help! =) Cleared up alot of confusion! The docs are also gold!