PDA

View Full Version : MDD Network Rendering Issues with BNR

DaveG
05-16-2012, 11:58 AM
We've run into a situation where baked displacement via MDD is not rendering on our rendering farm. We are using BNR to render out the frames.

Can you tell me what pitfalls we should be avoiding?:cursin:

nickdigital
05-16-2012, 12:08 PM
Do your nodes have the same access to the plugins and mdd file as your workstation(s)?

DaveG
05-16-2012, 12:14 PM
We have tested the files on the local workstations and it is fine however when we try to render the MDD files via BNR the displacement does not work.

We are not using the plugins on the content server but they are 10.1 plugs

joelaff
05-16-2012, 03:12 PM
I have had one issue with later LW versions and MDD, though I thought it was a plugin install issue on the farm... I was able to use DP's MDD Pointer, but not the built-in MDD reader.

Try that... However, it is most likely that the nodes are unable to access the MDD file. Put the MDD file in the scene directory. On the render nodes, watch the LWSN process and look for errors (or enable error logging with the BNR client and read the output from LWSN that way).

Look at the .lws file with a text editor. See how the scene file has the path to the MDD file(s) stored. May sure this same path works from the render nodes. (e.g. you may have the drive mapped as F:\ on your workstation, but \\myserver\myshare\on the render nodes.

Celshader
05-16-2012, 03:38 PM
We've run into a situation where baked displacement via MDD is not rendering on our rendering farm. We are using BNR to render out the frames.

Can you tell me what pitfalls we should be avoiding?:cursin:

This may not be helpful, but exosoul ran into a similar problem a month or two ago with BNR and another displacement plug-in (Bullet?). A test with the Deadline render farm controller worked fine on the same scenes.

I'll echo what others have already written here -- make sure the farm can see all the plug-ins.

joelaff
05-16-2012, 03:43 PM
I can tell you that there is nothing with regard to BNR itself that would make this fail. It is not the render controller. It may be the plugin setup on the render farm, but it is definitely not the controller itself.

You can check the configs in your net render directory that BNR created and be sure all the plugins are there. But the best way to troubleshoot this is to look at the output from LWSN while the scene is being loaded. Look for plugin failed messages, and file not found messages.