PDA

View Full Version : Trek Vet Doug Drexler Launches Space Command Kickstarter Campaign

robertoortiz
05-16-2012, 11:20 AM
Rob Note: If they get the funding I wonder if it will this be a LW project?

Quote:
"The Space Command Kickstarter page will open on the 16th of this month, coinciding with our appearance on radio’s Coast To Coast! We’ll also be premiering a promo video for Space Command, so save the date!
_
We need and appreciate you, and ask for your help! No one in television right now has any interest in making a space show. It’s in our DNA, and it won’t be denied! We can’t help ourselves! So please help us!
Doug
A message from the amazing Marc Zicree -
Yay! At last we can announce the nature of the Secret Science Fiction Project! The official title of the project is SPACE COMMAND, and it’s inspired by great science fiction films, TV shows and books of the 50s including Space Patrol, Forbidden Planet, The Martian Chronicles and more. What follows is our first official press release, and you can see one of Doug Drexler’s brilliant images.

For more, check out our Facebook Page. We launch our Kickstarter campaign May 16th on Coast to Coast. More details soon! FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE Hollywood CA. May 3rd, 2012 ATTENTION SCI-FI FANS: Sci-Fi Legends set to launch fundraising campaign on Kickstarter.com for new Feature Film Franchise. SPACE COMMAND will be a series of new and original feature films by STAR TREK writer Marc Zicree, GALACTICA FX whiz Doug Drexler, director Neil Johnson and other Sci-Fi luminaries. Inspired by classic science fiction TV & Film of the 1950s, this dream team is set to bring to life “Bold Adventures in the Far Reaches of Space.” Beginning May 16th, the filmmakers will bypass the Studios and Networks, going straight to the fans for funding to greenlight their project. Since Kickstarter’s launch in April 2009, more than 20,000 creative projects have been successfully funded by more than 1.8 Million individual contributors. Fans who contribute to SPACE COMMAND’s Kickstarter campaign are eligible to receive exclusive rewards in exchange for individual pledges ranging from $5 to $10,000. Contributions of $5000 or greater include rewards of Associate Producer Credit and even an Appearance in the Film. http://www.facebook.com/SpaceCommandMovie

Marc Scott Zicree has written for virtually every major network and studio, with hundreds of hours of produced credits including Star Trek – The Next Generation, Deep Space Nine, Babylon 5 and Sliders, and bestsellers including The Twilight Zone Companion and Magic Time trilogy of novels. He has been nominated for the American Book Award, Hugo Award, Nebula Award, Humanitas Prize and Diane Thomas A ward, and won the Saturn Award, TV Guide A ward, Rondo Award and prestigious Hamptons Prize.

Doug Drexler is an Oscar and Emmy award winner. His credits include Star Trek — The Next Generation, Deep Space Nine, Voyager, Enterprise, four Star Trek feature films, Battlestar Galactica, and currently Defiance. He has also won the British Academy Award, a Saturn Award, a Visual Effects Society Award and is also a Peabody Award recipient.

Neil Johnson’s credits include 8 Sci-Fi films including Alien Armageddon, Battlespace and Humanity’s End. He has directed over 500 music videos for such bands as U2 and Manowar. Neil’s feature film debut in 1997 is reputed to be the first digital film ever made. – Marc Zicree

http://drexfiles.wordpress.com/2012/05/04/space-command-early-rumblings-on-facebook/

http://www.facebook.com/spacecommandmovie

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/58936338/space-command

djlithium
05-16-2012, 01:02 PM
Don't forget about Stasys
www.indiegogo.com/stasys-series

djlithium
05-28-2012, 12:18 AM
The Stasys campaign is picking up speed. Now over 2250 raised and 66 days to go. Good stuff!

evenflcw
05-28-2012, 12:31 AM
Sorry Kat, but your behaviour annoys me. How about posting in your own thread only? It is common forum netiquette, (good) business morals and general etiquette to not trample over someone elses thread/ad/opinion with your own competing message. Once was enough and already too much imho.

Then again, I suppose you are bumping the original post. So perhaps you're helping your competitor or truly do not see them as such!?

I draw parallels to lightwave plugins and had this been a plugin announcements, I would have been truly annoyed. Yes it is an open forum, but some courtesy, atleast for a first announcement, would be nice.

djlithium
05-28-2012, 12:59 AM
Excuse me what? Doug has my support. All the more power too him to make more cool stuff.
It's not like he's in here posting himself - Robert posted it. There are a lot of cool LW projects out there that need the support of the LW community. Space command and stasys alike... what exactly is your problem again?
Edit...
Actually... have you made a contribution yourself? Do you want to support either project or both? Do you want to see more awesome stuff done in LightWave?
Or are you just being negative for no reason at all...? If thats the case... well... really... do you have to post like it when people are trying to get the LW community excited about these projects?

DigitalSorcery8
05-28-2012, 01:00 AM
Sorry Kat, but your behaviour annoys me. How about posting in your own thread only? It is common forum netiquette, (good) business morals and general etiquette to not trample over someone elses thread/ad/opinion with your own competing message. Once was enough and already too much imho.
:agree: We really don't need any competing ideas in the same thread.

Then again, I suppose you are bumping the original post. So perhaps you're helping your competitor or truly do not see them as such!?
Well, for me I don't really see them as competitors - if both projects get off the ground it can only be good for us sci-fi fans. I will contribute to BOTH, but I certainly don't need to hear about "the competition" in the thread for someone elses project. If *I* were Doug Drexler I'd be annoyed seeing someone latch on to "my" thread reminding them of ANOTHER project.

djlithium
05-28-2012, 01:31 AM
Ok well fair enough but I don't think Doug would have an issue with it, having worked with him years ago on BSG. He was always very supportive of LightWave and its artists.

evenflcw
05-28-2012, 04:21 AM
If you posted in their support that is great. I'd even be fine if you posted legitimate unbiased critic for whatever reason. What had me puzzled was the lack of content in your posts about the actual thread topic (nomatter who posted it).

If both projects get attention and are realized that would be fun for audiences and good for involved artists. And if they make use of the latest Lightwave has to offer, that would be an additional bonus for the community.

chco2
05-28-2012, 06:03 AM
what is it with some LW people :argue:

littlewaves
05-28-2012, 01:59 PM
okay let's not derail the thread any further. DJ Lithium said "fair enough" so lets move on and agree to disagree and talk about Space Command!

Is it a LW project? doesn't matter if not but great for this community if it is.

Also looking forward to some good old fashioned non-cynical optimistic sci-fi. It doesn't all have to be doom and gloom.

Sci Fi has always been something understood by fans and misunderstood by TV networks so projects like Space Command (yes and Stasys!) could herald a new era.

DigitalSorcery8
05-28-2012, 02:22 PM
okay let's not derail the thread any further. DJ Lithium said "fair enough" so lets move on and agree to disagree and talk about Space Command!
:agree: And I'm looking forward to seeing BOTH projects!

Is it a LW project? doesn't matter if not but great for this community if it is.
My guess is it may use LW, but they are creating actual miniatures so maybe not so much. I love miniatures, but CGI is so much more flexible and if the modeling is done correctly it looks just as good as any physical model - IMO of course. Plus the amount of control you get with CG...

Also looking forward to some good old fashioned non-cynical optimistic sci-fi. It doesn't all have to be doom and gloom.

Sci Fi has always been something understood by fans and misunderstood by TV networks so projects like Space Command (yes and Stasys!) could herald a new era.
I could go either way, though I guess I'd more like to see something optimistic. I'm just looking for QUALITY science fiction (or sci-fi, I don't care which term is used) instead of some of the jello we've been fed by networks OR the god stuff that the networks end up canceling. It's interesting when you look at shows like The Outer Limits from the 50's and 60's and compare them with the updated versions (in the 90's?) how different they are - the early versions were quite optimistic while the newer versions we FAR more pessimistic. I have to say I grew tired VERY quickly of the pessimistic version.

Dexter2999
05-28-2012, 03:28 PM
Rob Note: If they get the funding I wonder if it will this be a LW project?

LW has been involved so far
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mh9SsY_MHNM&feature=relmfu