PDA

View Full Version : New LightWave Video Profile...

Chuck
05-16-2012, 11:13 AM
Hereís a new LightWave video profile featuring Ernest Chan and the crew at Nick Digital, the LightWave team at Nickelodeon. See how our favorite 3D app is used in Sponge Bob Square Pants, Ni Hao Kai Lan, The Fairly Odd Parents and many more.

Available now on:

YouTube: http://youtu.be/uqvM_IsV_gM

NewTek TV: http://tv.newtek.com/player.php?recordID=197

Share and enjoy!

nickdigital
05-16-2012, 11:48 AM
:thumbsup:

calilifestyle
05-16-2012, 11:51 AM
ok so how you guys pushing out such great cell shading.

nickdigital
05-16-2012, 12:01 PM
ok so how you guys pushing out such great cell shading.

For the toon look the unReal plugin is the only thing that we use that's not native to LW.
http://d-creation.sakura.ne.jp/plugin_latest.htm

allabulle
05-16-2012, 12:22 PM
Nice!

allabulle
05-16-2012, 12:25 PM
For the toon look the unReal plugin is the only thing that we use that's not native to LW.
http://d-creation.sakura.ne.jp/plugin_latest.htm

Does it work well with LightWave 11.0.1?

DrStrik9
05-16-2012, 12:41 PM
Nice video presentation.

nickdigital
05-16-2012, 12:46 PM
Does it work well with LightWave 11.0.1?

Yes. There seems to be a bug where if you're going to do a local F10 render you should move your time slider to the start of your scene first. This might affect rendering on the farm as well. We render unReal jobs with all the frames on a single node to avoid crashes.

Lewis
05-16-2012, 01:57 PM
Nice and professional video, thanks for sharing.

rcallicotte
05-16-2012, 02:05 PM
Nicely done. It was useful to hear people in these job situations explaining workflow and how things were done overall.

Nicolas Jordan
05-16-2012, 02:15 PM
Hey nickdigital are you in that video? And if you are which one are you? Just curious since it's always nice to put a face to a forum name and avatar. :D

calilifestyle
05-16-2012, 02:43 PM
I've been using that plugin for sometime. But i always have reset all my surfaces all my toon tracing settings. Even when i copy past over items things seem to break. Oh i'm using latest version beta6

allabulle
05-16-2012, 02:46 PM
Yes. There seems to be a bug where if you're going to do a local F10 render you should move your time slider to the start of your scene first. This might affect rendering on the farm as well. We render unReal jobs with all the frames on a single node to avoid crashes.

Thank you for the explanation. :)

nickdigital
05-16-2012, 02:50 PM
I've been using that plugin for sometime. But i always have reset all my surfaces all my toon tracing settings. Even when i copy past over items things seem to break. Oh i'm using latest version beta6

Can you reword what you're talking about? :)

nickdigital
05-16-2012, 02:54 PM
Hey nickdigital are you in that video? And if you are which one are you? Just curious since it's always nice to put a face to a forum name and avatar. :D

Yes...yes I am. I'm the supervisor.

calilifestyle
05-16-2012, 03:04 PM
It’s hard to describe, but I’ll try. All I know is that I set up scene and I like the way it’s rendering, lights, textures you name it. I then head back to modeler and open new objects copy them over to layers where the scene is setup. Then copy the textures I like, but change few colors. Then sync to layout. And it’s all broken. Nothing renders correctly. I did discover that the nodes that I copied seem to lose their links. But I still can’t get the render to look correctly again. Lots weird rendering artifacts

Nicolas Jordan
05-16-2012, 03:12 PM
Just noticed that the Youtube version was originally 1080p when I watched it earlier now it's been shrunk down to only 360p? What's up with that Chuck? :stumped:

There is still high res version on Newtek TV but why take the high res version off Youtube?

Nicolas Jordan
05-16-2012, 03:25 PM
Yes...yes I am. I'm the supervisor.

Cool, didn't realize you were the supervisor. Very nice work that you guys do! I always enjoy watching it since it has such a unique style. :thumbsup:

nickdigital
05-16-2012, 03:31 PM
Itís hard to describe, but Iíll try. All I know is that I set up scene and I like the way itís rendering, lights, textures you name it. I then head back to modeler and open new objects copy them over to layers where the scene is setup. Then copy the textures I like, but change few colors. Then sync to layout. And itís all broken. Nothing renders correctly. I did discover that the nodes that I copied seem to lose their links. But I still canít get the render to look correctly again. Lots weird rendering artifacts

So you're swapping out objects for different objects? We do that all the time and it doesn't affect unReal. unReal is just looking at the group IDs.

When you say the nodes lose their links...links to what? Reference objects in the scene?

calilifestyle
05-16-2012, 03:56 PM
Nodes seem to disconnect i have to go in and reconnect all the ones i copied. Yeah it's kind of weird. Thanks for that video spot light btw.

nickdigital
05-16-2012, 04:01 PM
Nodes seem to disconnect i have to go in and reconnect all the ones i copied. Yeah it's kind of weird. Thanks for that video spot light btw.

We don't use nodes that much. Much of our toon style renders is basic enough that the texture layer system is still used. So maybe it's a bug with unReal.

I'd say submit a bug report to NewTek and see what they say.

jeric_synergy
05-16-2012, 04:10 PM
Very fun video. I had no idea LW was used so extensively in cel stuff.

What's that tool the guy is using with the ball and the crown? Some kind of slider? Is that a custom object thing or what? What's it do?

nickdigital
05-16-2012, 04:17 PM
What's that tool the guy is using with the ball and the crown? Some kind of slider? Is that a custom object thing or what? What's it do?

It's a custom made object to make a facial rig similar to this.
http://simonsnewmedia.blogspot.com/2010/08/facial-rigs-and-animation.html

Titus
05-16-2012, 04:25 PM
Inspiring work. I've been trying to produce a couple of tv shows for kids and this is the kind of projects I like.

regular
05-16-2012, 06:02 PM
Thanks so much for sharing the insight to the Nick Lightwave Team.

It is truly inspiring to see professionals at work.

allabulle
05-16-2012, 08:02 PM
Thanks so much for sharing the insight to the Nick Lightwave Team.

It is truly inspiring to see professionals at work.

Well said!

Serling
05-17-2012, 01:58 AM
Nice reel, Nick. You have any DAVE School grads working there at Nick Digital?

raw-m
05-17-2012, 03:06 AM
Very inspiring! Especially like the vehicle transformation and the spaceship stuff, with the wires next to final render - interesting to see how you rig.

GraphXs
05-17-2012, 05:45 AM
Nice!

ben martin
05-17-2012, 06:59 AM
Ok, nice work. Keep it up! :thumbsup:

nickdigital
05-17-2012, 09:36 AM
Nice reel, Nick. You have any DAVE School grads working there at Nick Digital?

We have one.

Serling
05-18-2012, 01:20 AM
We have one.

Cool! My daughter is in DAVE right now (3rd block) and I'll be applying to attend after the first of the year. I'm taking an early retirement from my 30+ year career in news to start a second career in digital arts/visual FX, and am glad to see there are DAVE School grads working in all areas of the industry. You've given this old dog hope! :) (Well, I'm not THAT old!) :thumbsup:

nickdigital
05-18-2012, 02:19 AM
Cool! My daughter is in DAVE right now (3rd block) and I'll be applying to attend after the first of the year. I'm taking an early retirement from my 30+ year career in news to start a second career in digital arts/visual FX, and am glad to see there are DAVE School grads working in all areas of the industry. You've given this old dog hope! :) (Well, I'm not THAT old!) :thumbsup:

Best of luck to you and your daughter. :thumbsup:

nickdigital
06-12-2012, 05:44 PM

beta7 of unReal was posted yesterday. This crashing problem seems to be fixed. :D