PDA

View Full Version : PFL : Pre-Fade Listen

Editec
05-16-2012, 08:08 AM
Proposal to add a new feature to the TriCaster, PFL (Pre-Fade Listen). This new function would be available below the Preview Monitor, located in the Tab Bar.

Operation :

Clicking the PFL button "On" would route the currently displayed source sound in the Preview Monitor, to the Headphones output. This would not effect the status on the Main Program or AUX Output audio, nor would the PFL sound go "On Air". The status of Solo, Mute, Follow, Mono should remain unchanged, unless the User decides to modify the parameters of the audio source being previewed. An indicator would light on the selected channel of the audio mixer to inform the User that the current channel is in PFL. Channel gains, EQ, Compressor/Limiter all being adjustable should the User wish to modify the settings.

Clicking the PFL button "Off" would return the normal functioning of the sound to the Headphones output. This off course is defined by the User and the settings in place, prior to selecting PFL.

If the PFL button is "On" and TAKE or AUTO transition are activated, the PFL button will automatically switch "OFF", and normal functioning of the Headphones output shall be restored.

This function will provide a facility to Preview the sound of a channel/s prior to Airing during a Live Broadcast, (such as the microphone level and quality, audio and vision from external sources such as VTRs/DDRs, upstream audio sources and pre-recorded media clips within the TriCaster), without putting the sound on the Master Program or AUX Outputs.

No more wrong audio, incorrect audio levels or distortion. Users can switch sources with utmost confidence and ease.

http://i1064.photobucket.com/albums/u380/xd855tek/TriCasterXD855PreFadeListen.jpg

Would appreciate your feedback on this new feature.

Cheers, Russ

Lee-AVP
05-16-2012, 01:40 PM
I would not do it as a PFL. I would LOVE an AFL button on the preview monitor, though.

A PFL on the Preview monitor doesn't tell me that the source is unmuted and potted up.

So, pertinent to the rest of the thread, if I had everything I wanted, it would be a PFL/AFL toggle on the Solo bus, and a AFL on the Preview monitor.

Editec
05-16-2012, 05:36 PM
The implementation of PFL and AFL differ from manufacturer to manufacturer.

My experience has shown the most common versions of PFL to be :
a. Raw input, no Channel processing
b. Minor channel processing, Channel gain only **
c. Major channel processing, Channel gain, EQ, Gate, Compressor/Limiter
** common implementation

PFL preview assumes the fader is set at 0db nominal, though the fader is closed.

AFL with major channel processing, Channel gain, EQ, Gate, Compressor/Limiter, status of Mute, Audio-Follow and Fader position would indeed be the best solution, with a toggle on the audio mixer to permit the User the option to chose PFL (Minor channel processing, Channel gain only) or AFL (Full channel processing and status) post-fader.The PFL/AFL function should not affect in any way the Main Program or Auxiliary Outputs, only the Headphone output.

The toggle button at the Preview Monitor interface would reflect the mode of the preview for the currently displayed channel, either PFL or AFL, so the User would be aware of the type of monitoring usage.

Lee-AVP
05-16-2012, 08:30 PM
Like.*

*Facebook has reduced me to this.

PIZAZZ
05-16-2012, 09:05 PM
I am following this with interest. Meanwhile I will just turn on my LS9