PDA

View Full Version : Animation/Rigging Question

monkeypunk
10-24-2003, 10:52 AM
Gots a question:

I'm trying to rig a snowboarder. I have a snowboard character object and a snowboard object. I'm using ACS4 and I'm not sure if this is a LW or ACS4 question BUT... is there a way that I can parent the snowboard to the snowboarder and have each foot control null individually affect the snowboard and have the alternating foot control null follow? For example, the snowboarder jumps up, leading with his right foot. The left foot is below and about to pull up even with the right foot.

As of now, I've got the board parented to the right foot bone. When I move the right foot control null, the left foot obviously doesn't react. I can animate the left foot to match, but I was just wondering if there was an easier way.

That being said, is it better to have the snowboard as part of the snowboard object (1 object) and tweak the bone settings of the rig in ACS4? Thanx.

WizCraker
10-24-2003, 12:56 PM
Sounds like a solution for IK, however I don't rig characters or animate that much.

monkeypunk
10-24-2003, 01:05 PM
Actually, I think I just figured it out. I combined the snowboard and character into the same model and then put some hold bones on the board. It's not perfect but it'll work as my Plan B.

But you're right, it's got something to do with IK. I know I should be able to set it up so that I can move the board and the legs will follow. But my IK chops are rusty because I rely on ACS4 too much to do it!

If anyone else has an idea via IK, please let me know.

monkeypunk
10-24-2003, 01:17 PM
Man, either I'm a moron or I'm a genius. But I just figured out the IK solution and it's ridiculously easy. Why is it that I can spend hours on something, put it away for about 10 minutes, go back to it and figure it out? I guess that's better than never figuring it out, but not much.