PDA

View Full Version : Workflow: hiding/revealing panels

jeric_synergy
05-15-2012, 11:47 AM
One thing I've noticed recently is I'm spending more and more LW time toggling panels either just to find them, or to get them back on top of the stack.

This seems to be consuming an inordinate amount of time. I don't do this in, e.g., Photoshop: for the most part I just leave everything open all the time. Same in AE: panels stay open all day.

In LW, I have to rummage thru the stack continually.

Are they not comparable? Or what?

nickdigital
05-15-2012, 12:13 PM
I find this lscript helps.
http://mentalfish.com/2010/05/property-panel/

jeric_synergy
05-15-2012, 12:32 PM
INteresting, nick! I'll give it a whirl....

clicka clicka clicka
That may just help quite a bit. :)

And I'm especially pleased that Mentalfish showed some pertinent areas of the code! :thumbsup:

Noobs might not understand what they have to do to get it running though-- slightly obscure, and I didn't see any install dox.

DrStrik9
05-15-2012, 05:08 PM
That is really cool! Why doesn't LW already do that? (Rhetorical question) :) This is why I work with two screens ...

jeric_synergy
05-15-2012, 05:10 PM
This is why I work with two screens ...
It only helps to a certain degree.

Why am I not shuffling panels in AE, but am in LW?

dsol
05-15-2012, 06:38 PM
Adobe (particularly after they bought Macromedia) own a vast number of UI patents that help solve this issue. Blame software patents :(

lertola2
05-15-2012, 07:15 PM
Its the scene editor panel that bugs me the most. The others can usually be found with by pressing their hot keys.

jeric_synergy
05-15-2012, 07:21 PM
Adobe (particularly after they bought Macromedia) own a vast number of UI patents that help solve this issue. Blame software patents :(
Done and done! :hey:

Docking and tabs, nicht wahr?

Its the scene editor panel that bugs me the most. The others can usually be found with by pressing their hot keys.
Yessssssss, hmmm, things that make it easy to toggle panels open and close to find them or pull them to the top of the stack should be developed.

One thing NewTek could do that shouldn't cause Adobe's lawyers to lick their chops is: when Panels are minimized, they are so small they don't really give much of a clue to their function. Most of them close down to just ONE, maybe two letters. (see screen grab) So for me, I usually just close 'em.

If they could be just a bit wider, they'd give the user more of a clue as to their function, and be more usable. I'm not sure if that makes a difference, but it would get them out of the way w/o closing them. Is that good?? Not sure. But I do feel minimization now is rather pointless.

Cryonic
05-16-2012, 10:52 AM
One thing NewTek could do that shouldn't cause Adobe's lawyers to lick their chops is: when Panels are minimized, they are so small they don't really give much of a clue to their function. Most of them close down to just ONE, maybe two letters. (see screen grab) So for me, I usually just close 'em.

If they could be just a bit wider, they'd give the user more of a clue as to their function, and be more usable. I'm not sure if that makes a difference, but it would get them out of the way w/o closing them. Is that good?? Not sure. But I do feel minimization now is rather pointless.

Yeah, that is a problem from Windows itself. Any window you minimize shrinks to that size. What would be nicer is something that looked to be possible in CORE. Create a new window and Dock the various windows into it. That would work really well, especially on a 2+ monitor setup.

jeric_synergy
05-16-2012, 02:22 PM
Yeah, that is a problem from Windows itself. Any window you minimize shrinks to that size.
RU sure? I thought there was a setting where you could specify the minimal size a window would shrink to, at the code level, that is.

fram
05-16-2012, 03:00 PM

Very useful! but in my mac (os 10.6.8) doesn't work. I've added it to master plugins, but when i select an item nothing happens. Any idea?

jeric_synergy
05-16-2012, 03:26 PM
Very useful! but in my mac (os 10.6.8) doesn't work. I've added it to master plugins, but when i select an item nothing happens. Any idea?
Make sure the properties window is open, then switch types, object to cam or light.