PDA

View Full Version : Displacememnt to mesh

treddie
05-15-2012, 06:26 AM
I was curious if anyone has heard of a program that can convert an object with a displacement map to a full-fledged mesh where the displacement has actually been made part of the mesh? It would be a great tool for those situations where you need to use a program that does not offer displacement, but already have an object sitting there with a displacement map and no way to use it.

Afalk
05-15-2012, 06:37 AM
Why not just bake out the displacements and use those improved maps on your object instead?

short223
05-15-2012, 06:39 AM
Save Transformed Object?

silviotoledo
05-15-2012, 06:46 AM
http://www.trueart.pl/?URIType=Directory&URI=Products/Plug-Ins/TrueBump

TRUEBUMP is a dedicated tool for something like this.

You can Save Transformed with subdivision in high value too, but it seems truebump make the task easier in less steps.

Why do you need a frozen hi-poly mesh?

SplineGod
05-15-2012, 07:25 AM
You could use save transformed or save endomorph.

treddie
05-15-2012, 09:34 PM
Why not just bake out the displacements and use those improved maps on your object instead?

That's the point...Not all programs offer displacement or handle it well when they do use it. I finally gave up on using it with Maxwell Render due to the huge amount of extra time it took to render something fairly decent. Especially in close-ups.

Save Transformed Object?

Hm...I'm new to that. I'll have to check it out. Thanks for the tip!

TRUEBUMP is a dedicated tool for something like this.

Thank you for the link. Looks awesome on the face of it.

Homework time!

akademus
05-16-2012, 12:03 AM
Zbrush!

Philbert
05-17-2012, 12:25 AM
3D-Coat easily does it.

treddie
05-17-2012, 02:02 AM
Hm...I was deciding for the longest time whether or not to go with BodyPaint or 3D-Coat. I chose BodyPaint. But I don't believe it has that ability. That's the way it goes I guess...You choose one program because of what it can do for you, then find that you need another to fill in the missing parts.

Philbert
05-17-2012, 03:17 AM
I'm curious now what Bodypaint could do that 3DC couldn't.

treddie
05-17-2012, 11:22 PM
It was some years ago (2008) that I made the decision. It's been awhile, but it seemed that 3D-Coat was new to the scene and did not have perhaps what it has now (don't really know). Although 3dc has a much simpler GUI, I found at the time that bpaint did more for me despite its way over-the-top convoluted gui. I think there were issues at the time with 3dc where stuff simply would not export out OBJ very well. I was also getting much cleaner painting across seams and superior transitions across polygon edges when airbrushing in bpaint. Also, I had odd program hanging with 3dc and slower performance with hires bitmaps.

But all of that was a long while ago...Things might have changed by now.

Philbert
05-18-2012, 12:23 AM
Oh yes quite a bit has changed since there are updates every 1-2 weeks. I can understand though, things were quite different back then.

SplineGod
05-18-2012, 02:25 AM
I would also highly recommend 3dcoat. It seems to support LW far better then anything else. It will export displacement layers as endomorphs and also exports lwo objects. The objects come into LW with the node networks setup for things like normal maps. Speedwise, its come a longway since then. :)

treddie
05-18-2012, 11:57 PM
You're twisting my arm. It hurts! :)

Philbert
05-19-2012, 12:39 AM
You could always download the trial, it's completely unhindered for 30 days. That way you can really get a feel for how it works.

Chad_Shadow
05-22-2012, 03:40 PM
Guys, just a question. is it possible through Save Transformed to create the effect in the attached image?

I have the earth with its huge map.
I need to fragment it into multiple pieces as per Tectonic Lines (that i already have as PNG file traced in position perfectly ).

If i apply the Tectonic Lines as CLIP MAP (spherical projection), i am having the earth perfectly fragmented (visually in Render/VPR).
But i need these pieces extruded and animated.

How to ?

:help:

Philbert
05-22-2012, 05:31 PM
You could probably just apply the image you have as a displacement map with the plates as white and the lines as black, then once it's displaced just to File > Save Trans. Object. This would at least give you a model to work with.

http://content.screencast.com/users/philnolan3d/folders/Jing/media/32b6fa86-bb1f-429f-aa6e-8b9df8401c00/2012-05-22_1931.png