PDA

View Full Version : Bed/Carpet/Textile - - - Hair and Fur Approach?

HolyMonkey-
05-13-2012, 10:09 AM
Hello, Lately ive been struggling with getting realistic textiles.

I noticed a very popular approach is the hair and fur as you can see here (scroll down to the chair)

http://www.evermotion.org/tutorials/show/7952/modeling-and-rendering-tutorial

Does LW have any hair and fur function? Because I cant find any....

Also carpets and bedsheets always have this very defined bumpy surface, however recreating this with bumpmaps and normalmaps has proved fruitless, it still looks very flat.

Especially in interriors when not alot of direct light hits the bump/normal it seems to disappear alot.

How do you guys get around this?

MUCUS
05-13-2012, 10:33 AM
Instance for me is the way to go, especially now that we are allowed to distributed instance via texture.

Cheek out this link: http://www.kraytracing.com/joomla/forum/index.php?f=6&t=2526&rb_v=viewtopic

It's done with Kray instances (with only one fiber as object to clone and a basic poly as carpet.) But it's basically the same process with LW instance (and any intancing method in other 3d package)

HolyMonkey-
05-13-2012, 10:49 AM
Instance for me is the way to go, especially now that we are allowed to distributed instance via texture.

Cheek out this link: http://www.kraytracing.com/joomla/forum/index.php?f=6&t=2526&rb_v=viewtopic

It's done with Kray instances (with only one fiber as object to clone and a basic poly as carpet.) But it's basically the same process with LW instance (and any intancing method in other 3d package)

I actually tried Kray instance with awful result, but I see that was because of my awful skill and not the potential, I will look into it more!

If you have any tips feel free!

MUCUS
05-13-2012, 12:22 PM
Well I think that the pictures you see from the link are done with kray 2.5 (which as not been already released) and which have access to LW instances distribution method, which is way easier to setup that Kray instance. The only thing you need is an instance generator that allow you to control instance rotation with a procedural texture.

So you can already try this with LW instance, or wait for kray 2.5 to be released.

(DPinstance should do this too I guess)

UnCommonGrafx
05-13-2012, 12:54 PM
The aps system would be the one for me. One can add geometry where one wants and it smooths quite nicely.

I don't believe enough is understood about the aps system. Two months... what should I write about...

HolyMonkey-
05-13-2012, 11:19 PM
The aps system would be the one for me. One can add geometry where one wants and it smooths quite nicely.

I don't believe enough is understood about the aps system. Two months... what should I write about...

Leaving me confused as always UCG!!! hehe

UnCommonGrafx
05-14-2012, 04:28 AM
Yeah,
I hear that a lot.

Layout has a lot of tools for meshes. One that was put in some time ago was the aps system. Folks don't talk about it so much any more because it's not sexy any more... as feature lust goes.

It allows you to add polys where you need them and less where you don't through the subpatching system. So, for example, a dotted black and white pattern will get you raised cylinders; white dots with black inside them would get you other interesting growth of the polys: more white equals more polys.
Or so I remember. It's been a while since I played with it.

Instancing gets mentioned as a fix for these similarly as the aps system was back then. Ah yes, micropoly-approximation would be another name for it.

Instances will definitely get you there. A whole bunch of things will, though.

HolyMonkey-
05-14-2012, 10:58 AM
Yeah,
I hear that a lot.

Layout has a lot of tools for meshes. One that was put in some time ago was the aps system. Folks don't talk about it so much any more because it's not sexy any more... as feature lust goes.

It allows you to add polys where you need them and less where you don't through the subpatching system. So, for example, a dotted black and white pattern will get you raised cylinders; white dots with black inside them would get you other interesting growth of the polys: more white equals more polys.
Or so I remember. It's been a while since I played with it.

Instancing gets mentioned as a fix for these similarly as the aps system was back then. Ah yes, micropoly-approximation would be another name for it.

Instances will definitely get you there. A whole bunch of things will, though.

Roses are red, violets are blue. Christ came to the world, to save people like you.

Thank you for your help, a feeling I felt.

I will try out instance, here is some enigma for your mindstance...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Icp_DhU_9i4

I will go with instancing to begin with, see how that works out for me =) Thank you!