PDA

View Full Version : switching from ik to fk

mdharman
05-12-2012, 12:52 PM
I understand that Lightwave has ik/fk blending where you can switch from ik to fk. It's a great tool but I had something else in mind. I was wondering if there is a way I can animate the arms using ik and, when I get everything in almost the right position, change to fk. This would allow me to make final tweaks in fk. I find it difficult to get the elbow to always behave the way I want when using ik arms.

probiner
05-12-2012, 01:12 PM
The only way I get to do that is to bake the Key positions from IK to FK with IKBoost. But it's not... fast. But at lease I can choose what bones are baked etc and keep working.

Glad to hear other solutions.

Cheers

SplineGod
05-12-2012, 05:01 PM
If your using LWs standard IK, its probably best to stay with that method rather then adding in IKBoost. :)
There are other ways to bake IK to keys and still be able to switch between IK and FK with a switch. The purpose of IK/FK switching is to do exactly what you are suggesting...to use IK for whats its best for but using FK for tweaking or motions not possible or easily done using IK.

mdharman
05-12-2012, 07:52 PM
So how do I bake the ik so I can switch? When I turn on ik/fk blending, the position of the bones changes as is ik was turned off.

SplineGod
05-13-2012, 12:33 AM
Dstorm has a free plugin that I used to use alot which bakes IK to keyframes
http://www.dstorm.co.jp/dsproducts/FreePlugins/Motion/Bake_IK_to_Key.html

mdharman
05-13-2012, 06:37 AM
Perfect! Thanks for your help.