PDA

View Full Version : bug or feature?

erikals
05-12-2012, 09:01 AM
 
hi,
wonder, is this the way it should work?
wouldn't it be better to reset the SubP when converting to SubD ?

http://youtu.be/2JQiVjSFPkk

yes / no ?

 

SplineGod
05-12-2012, 05:11 PM
Id say bug whether it was meant to work that way or not. :)

probiner
05-12-2012, 07:11 PM
Since Subpatch doesn't affects N-gon's, they will remain in Faces state.
When you hit Tab for Subdivision Toggle with Catmull-Clark as the active type, N-gons will toggle to CC and the Subpatches will toggle back to Faces.
Do the same thing with Statistics panel open. It makes sense.
Could it be a little bit more streamlined? Yes. It's a bug? No.
If you want to toggle directly from Subpatches and Faces to CC, just use the "Set CC" command, which is absolute, instead of the toggle.

Cheers

SplineGod
05-12-2012, 07:38 PM
I agree that it may not "technically" be a bug but from a functionality standpoint I still think it is. :)

Sensei
05-12-2012, 07:47 PM
This issue would not exist if LW had history/modifier stack- sub-patching algorithm would be just yet another modifier taking childs regular polys as input and output frozen geometry. So there would be no cases were >=2 different sub-patch methods are in the same object.

erikals
05-13-2012, 08:55 AM
 
thanks, yeah i thought it was weird :]
reported as 46588_4hpl2c5f

 

Sensei
05-13-2012, 08:57 AM
That's not a bug. They will cancel your report..

erikals
05-13-2012, 10:57 AM
not sure, they've accepted / fixed stuff like that before when i filed it...

probiner
05-13-2012, 01:08 PM
-_-'

It's not a "feature", it's not a bug, it's just... a non streamlined operation. Like Sensei said, if you had a stack you would just change the modifier Subdivision type and voilá...
What you did, it's the same thing if you just selected 3 faces of a cube and subpatch them and then Toggle Catmull Clack globally and call it a bug because 3 are in Catmull and 3 are in Faces. I got "Set CC" and "Set Subpatch" shortcuts for that reason.

Well if they accepted, I'll guess we'll see a Stack in LW12? Unification? OMG I'm gonna spread the word in Facebook :p
(How fun would be if it turned out to be it, ehehe)

erikals
05-14-2012, 11:16 AM
got a reply, but i guess we need a good option on how to make it operate,

here are two ideas on how it could work,
http://youtu.be/BR16hav2zV8
http://youtu.be/D-jjpk8_9mg

what do you think?... any alternatives?...

 

erikals
05-14-2012, 11:23 AM
one sentence that confused me a bit in the reply though, was this >
"First, understand that you can't have CC and Subpatch in the same model."

is this true?

Lewis
05-14-2012, 12:29 PM
one sentence that confused me a bit in the reply though, was this >
"First, understand that you can't have CC and Subpatch in the same model."

is this true?

Absolutely NOT true. I "hate" when they reply with similar statements instead checking first :).

YES you can have CCs and subpatches on SAME model or even on same layer. Even stats panel differ-es them and shows then differently. Only thing what you can is to have CC and subpatch on same POLYGON 8which is understandable 'coz it's either one or another - cant' be both).

But it's no big surprise 'coz they (some DEVs) probably forgot how to work/use modeler since they didn't update it for so long :) :D.

Send them this attachment as follow up to Report :).

BTW as for your request well warning message would be OK but only if it respects ALERT levels, i.e. i don't want any popups jumping in when i work in "expert" mode :).

P.S. I'm not considering this really a BUG but more coincidence of later addition of CCs and keeping legacy stuff active so now they interfere with each other (we have some of that in layout also) I'd like that they fix OpenGL speed and CCs first and then we wouldn't need to worry about Subpatches 'coz we could use CCs whit faster OGL and working fully instead this half-working implementation we have now..

probiner
05-14-2012, 01:51 PM
You can have four polygon types in the same connected mesh, but each polygon of a type.
File attached for lulz :D

The solution, erikals, is love. Some good old dev love for Modeler or Modeling in LW :D

Cheers

erikals
05-14-2012, 02:18 PM
we ain't got time for love...!

Modeler improvements now! Arnold for President!