PDA

View Full Version : Animate Hypervoxel Blending?

short223
05-11-2012, 07:02 AM
I have a simple set up of points in an array type arrangement. Each point is rendered as a hypervoxel sphere at an equal size so each are touching (no blending at this point). Is there a way to animate the hypervoxel to go from solid (no blending) to blending? All I see currently is a check box to either turn on blending or not. The rendered results for both on and off are what I'm looking for. I just need to be able to have the spheres "melt" together at some point.
Thanks!

dwburman
05-11-2012, 08:31 AM
In LightWave 11: yes.
In prior versions of LightWave: no.

Well, you can animate the Blend Scale in LW11. The blending on/off switch can't be animated.

I did a test of this when I first got my hands on LW11.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IEQjxs9in_g

short223
05-11-2012, 08:43 AM
I saw that video and it looks like scale is changing/altering the size, plus the ones not in contact appear to be diamond shaped. I need them to be touching and still be spheres of the same size, then melt into each other.

I am experimenting with a clone of the points but maybe having the main spheres "no blend" with the second set set slightly smaller "with blend" but also a slight squash on the Y to make it more wide than tall. Then animate the size (with an envelope) to just a bit bigger than the main while at the same time unsquash it so it doesn't appear to get larger than it is.....

Will see if that works....

dwburman
05-11-2012, 08:47 AM
Yup they come out diamond shape as they reach for the blobs on either side of them, so it can look a bit odd.

Good luck!

SplineGod
05-12-2012, 06:49 AM
Ive found that the new blending is definately an improvement. It gives more tweaking options then before especially when driving it with textures. Other controls in the HV panel seem to work better now in conjunction with the new blending. Heres an example. You can see in some areas very thin tendrils shooting out of one blob and linking into another and then merging etc. Doing this before would have been very hard to do. :)
Heres a quick test.

SplineGod
05-12-2012, 07:37 AM
Sorry, got a little carried away. I applied some textures to a few settings at once including blending. This was the result. Its pretty weird but definately some cool things are possible. :)
BTW: both tests are using no particles, just a subdivided plane. Also not sure whats causing the jittering. I think its something I did with one of my textures.