PDA

View Full Version : Surface Smoothing

Source
05-09-2012, 02:46 PM
http://s15.postimage.org/jvkgbviez/smoothing.png

I used 'Solid Drill' on the holes , which left me with a strange mesh some places .

But what bothers me is the smoothing it produces.

Is there a better way to cut these holes ?

Thanks

Source

SplineGod
05-09-2012, 03:21 PM
Smoothing errors on polys that have been sliced/booleaned are usually due to the creation of degenerate or non planar polies. Use the stats tool to find any polys with greater then 4 sides, select them and triple them.

Skonk
05-09-2012, 03:26 PM
The other thing to do is change the smooth threshold in the surface properties, lower it till the edges which should be sharp, become sharp (but not so far that the polys that should be smooth become faceted).

Try something like 30 degrees.

If that doesn't would you could also try the old cut/paste trick to force the smoothing to stop where it should.

I.E select the polys that make up the hole and cut them out of the main body of the object, then paste them back in but DO NOT merge the points.

probiner
05-09-2012, 03:30 PM
You're making the holes, the correct way, you just kind of hit one of LW's dddooohh's: Smoothing. Because in other packages you would just select what edges you want smooth and what edges you don't, simple.
In LW you either rely on Angle Threshold, or in a imported vertex normal map that you can't edit.

Now, why is that happening in you example? Gourad Shading (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gouraud_shading) averages at each vertex the polygons' normals that the vertex belongs too. So... the vertices on the rim your holes have to average very different angles, resulting in that.

In the attached image, 2 possible Solutions:
- decrease the Angle Threashold, until the smoothing breaks on the rim.
- Place smoothing Polygons. So the horrible averagin will happen in a thin strip, leaving the flat polys, look indeed flat.

Cheers

Source
05-09-2012, 03:35 PM
Awesome , thanks guys

Tobian
05-09-2012, 04:00 PM
Just lower the smoothing threshold for the surface. I would try and clean up the way you cut the holes, as it looks a bit messy, but the simplest fix is to lower the surface smoothing threshold :)

Haha everyone else answered while I was writing a reply! :)