PDA

View Full Version : Icon Pack for LightWave

Matt
10-24-2003, 03:14 AM
Hi everyone!

Thought I'd share these, created them when I was doing the 'vX' stuff, but only recently made them into .ico files, sorry no Mac versions because the software I used doesn't save for Mac.

They can be downloaded here:

http://www.newtek-europe.com/uk/community/lightwave/gorner/1.html

However you'll have to suffer reading about me to get them! You didn't think they were free did you! ;)

Hope you like them!

Cheers
Matt

geoff3dnz
10-24-2003, 04:12 AM
Dude, these are really cool! Thanks! (the write-up's really good too!) Nice work!

PS I'm relocating to the UK in January 2004 - what's the work like over there? Much of it?

Cheers,

Geoff

Matt
10-24-2003, 04:23 AM
LightWave work - I wouldn't know all the stuff I do is on the back of design work.

Product design is very quiet here at the moment too, but there are people making money from visualisation work, usually as part of new media outfits.

Not sure if that helps! :)

Matt
10-24-2003, 04:26 AM
BTW: Geoff love your work, visiting your site quite some time ago, the Zippo lighter is fantastic! The brushed look is spot on!

geoff3dnz
10-24-2003, 04:33 AM
Thanks very much! :)

Hey, did anything come of the NewTek interface pow-wow? Put me down for a vote for vX for LW!

Matt
10-24-2003, 05:21 AM
talk but not much else! I don't know, maybe after v8 is released it might pick up again, I get the impression they're just gonna do it in-house.

shame really, some good ideas would have come out of it (from everyone not just me!)

still gonna keep on with the vX stuff though, although I'm not sure why!

:)

mattclary
10-24-2003, 06:16 AM
Hang in there, Matt. Maybe they're just waiting for a re-write. Nice article, good to know more about you!

anieves
10-24-2003, 07:23 AM
hum, another reason to go for XP but I'm still so skeptical...

BTW, good article, nice to learn more about other LW'ers

thekho
10-24-2003, 10:05 AM
Hi matt

I read your interview. It is interesting and i like your works which looks cool!
Wow, I studied 3d design as same as your course at Jacob Kramer College of Art & Design about 7 years ago!!! Do you still remember tutor's Phil Gibson, Ken Booth, Ian (i forget his surname). I still remember them :) but i don't remember you. May you left when i arrived.

Anyway, thanks for sharing!

Best Regerds,

Keddy

P.S. What's "BTW" means?

phrick
10-24-2003, 10:46 AM
Beautiful icons, Matt! Thanks for sharing.

May I ask what software you used to create the .ico files?
I've been wanting to create my own icons for ages... :)

mattclary
10-24-2003, 11:30 AM
Originally posted by thekho
What's "BTW" means?

BTW means "by the way"

thekho
10-24-2003, 11:37 AM
Thanks for let me know about it.

FenrirWolf
10-24-2003, 02:57 PM
Nice icons, real stylistic and clean! I also really dig the fact that you put the actual extension name as part of the icon itself. That's one thing that REALLY bothers me about iconic interfaces like used in Windows. As long as extensions are still an important part of the system, they shouldn't be hidden.

Valter
10-24-2003, 09:10 PM
hey I did like it !!!

Matt
10-25-2003, 07:42 PM
glad you like them!

thekho Graham Savage was my tutor at Jacob Kramer, not sure if he's still there! What did you study there?

phrick I used Axialis Icon Workshop to create the icons, pretty good software, shame it doesn't support Mac though.

julos
10-25-2003, 10:20 PM
I just read the interview, nice work ! i like your enthusiasm for Lightwave and the work you produce, the icons look good very nice too, well done. :)
let's see how to use them now....

Jockomo
10-25-2003, 10:54 PM
Matt,

Your work is excellent. I really hope NewTek will adopt (and pay you for) your designs when they finally get around to redesigning the interface.

PS your icons look great!

Matt
10-26-2003, 03:44 AM
Glad you like the interview! I was amazed when Ben asked me, there are some amazing people interviewed on there, in true Wayne's World style - "I'm not worthy!"

I do have a passion for LightWave, I think we all do! Can't wait to see v8!

As much as I love the vX stuff, I don't think it's the be and end all of LightWave interfaces, it's just one idea, and there's still a lot to do! Whether it would work as well as I hope in a production environment can only be proved through testing.

At some point I want to create the whole interface in Director or Flash with every button / tab working, so people can browse through the interface, although mocking up the tear-off tabs, menu re-ordering and panel resizing would be difficult to do, my skills as a Lingo programmer only go so far!

Cheers
Matt

Karmacop
10-26-2003, 04:04 AM
"we're not worthy" is from Wayne's World ... said by Wayne and Garth :)

Jimzip
10-26-2003, 04:06 PM
I couldn't bare not having those icons, so I converted a few of the more common ones so I could use them.
They really are very nice Matt!

I tried and tried, but you can't change the actual application's icons, (so when a new file is created it has the custom icon on it..), which is a real bummer.
Also you can't select multiple and change the icons at once, that's annoying too..

Anyway, um.. Yes..

Jimzip :D

Jimzip
10-26-2003, 04:08 PM
Sigh.. Just ignore this post..

Matt
10-27-2003, 02:53 AM
karmacop - I have no idea what you're talking about?!

;)

(DOH!)

Jimzip try using this program http://www.iconfactory.com/ib_home.asp

Matt

thekho
10-27-2003, 05:01 AM
Originally posted by Matt
thekho Graham Savage was my tutor at Jacob Kramer, not sure if he's still there! What did you study there?

Oh, I thought you studied BTEC ND 3d design which i studied it. What level did you studied 3d design? HND? BA Degree?

I know Graham Savage and he's tutor of BA(Hons) Interior Design. Yeah, he's still there!!!

Matt
10-27-2003, 05:08 AM
I did the BTEC National Diploma in 3D Design too, Graham Savage, Phil Gibson were the product design / furniture tutors, Barry Horner used to be the Interior tutor! Then I went on to do a BA (Hons) at Coventry University.

What are you doing now?

Small world ain't it! :)

thekho
10-27-2003, 05:29 AM
Phil Gibson was really nice lad and helped me a lot. He retired now.

Originally posted by Matt
What are you doing now?

I'm Leeds Utd manager now :D (No, i'm joking). I'm still doing my showreel which is not finished yet. When my showreel finished then i'll looking around for a job.

Jimzip
10-28-2003, 05:53 PM
Ooh!

Thanks Matt.

Jimzip :D

Librarian
10-29-2003, 01:09 AM
Nice icons. Kuzey made some too. Combine yours with the idea of kuzey, take your icons with the LW logo in the background for every icon, and it would be easier to associate them with LW.

Matt
10-29-2003, 02:21 AM
I did do some simple ones like you mentioned, but they weren't as nice!

Might look at re-doing them in the style above.

Cheers
Matt