PDA

View Full Version : Scale Of Universe

skype6
05-09-2012, 02:10 PM
I came across this site by accident and I was completely thrilled! What a great idea. Have fun!!!
use wheel mouse better <------------>

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/44218769/589217_scale_of_universe_enhanced.swf

shrox
05-09-2012, 02:28 PM
Russell's Teapot is in there...

Tobian
05-09-2012, 03:57 PM
What a cool visual demonstration! :)

kopperdrake
05-09-2012, 05:39 PM
Very nice - one to show the kids :thumbsup:

probiner
05-09-2012, 05:44 PM
Awesome, thanks for sharing

skype6
05-10-2012, 05:04 AM
Really fascinating. This is great for educational purposes! Macro and micro cosmos, all in one.

Waves of light
05-10-2012, 08:34 AM
That's excellent, can't wait to show my boys it.

If you scroll through really quickly it's like the start to the 'Big Bang Theory'!

rcallicotte
05-10-2012, 10:31 AM
Awesome! This is so cool. Thanks!

art
05-10-2012, 12:57 PM
This is very cool. I never realized before that scale-wise we are closer to the size of observable universe than we are to the Planck length

jeric_synergy
05-10-2012, 06:13 PM
That made my eyes water. (Seriously!)

danielkaiser
05-10-2012, 08:41 PM
Sorry folks that thing is totally wrong, I created the universe and it currently manifests itself as a small lump of fuzz deep in the recesses of my navel sorry to burst your bubble.

well, it's time to shower, nice knowing you guys.

meshpig
05-11-2012, 12:41 AM
☝Is TN anywhere near Texas? Pretty amazing. We all remember the IBM production in the late 70's called "Powers of 10 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0fKBhvDjuy0)"? Der, no scroll wheel...

Too bad the Universe is so damn big:D

Mitja
05-11-2012, 07:16 AM
I really like the music. It's the second day in a row that I open that page and leave it opened for the entire day. For the happiness of my colleague...

inkpen3d
05-11-2012, 09:11 AM
Really fascinating. This is great for educational purposes! Macro and micro cosmos, all in one.

Indeed - my wife, who teaches A-level physics, has already put it to such a use!

I am always interested in ways to bring home the vast ranges of space and time.

Regarding time - my favourite way to illustrate the huge spans of geological and cosmological time is to represent one year by 1mm and imagine walking along a straight line (on an infinitely flat plane) marking out out significant events.

The average human life-span would be less than 80mm along from the start-point, Columbus discovered the Americas at 520mm, for the religious among you the birth of Christ would be at about 2000mm (i.e. 2m), the end of the last glacial period would be located at about 12.5m, to reach the point corresponding to the Toba supervolcano eruption witnessed by early man you would have to have walked 77m along the line.

Then we start to go into really deep time and, for convenience, we need to start dealing with kilometres, where 1km represents 1 million years: After a short walk we reach the 5km point at which humans diverged from the other great apes, after hiking for a couple of days you'd have covered 65km and could place a marker representing the K-T mass extinction of the dinosaurs.

Time to hop on a bus, or even better, charter a plane!

Having travelled 230km you'd have reached the point corresponding to the the first emergence of the dinosaurs during the Triassic, at around the 550km mark you'd be laying down a marker for the emergence of multicellular life.

After that it all gets rather boring (except for microbiologists) - just unicellular life for the next 3500 or so kilometres (nothing more complex than stromatolites). At about 4500 km from the start of the journey you could place a sign representing the formation of the earth and the rest of the solar system. Then, if you're still feeling up to it, travel a further 9200km - during which interval several generations of stars lived and died, and galaxies slowly collided and merged with glacial slowness - and then erect a big flashing neon sign representing the big-bang located a grand total of 13,700km from our starting point.:D

Regards,
Peter

prometheus
05-11-2012, 11:44 AM
Awesome and almost hypnotical.

At those extrem Large scales and micro scales, The further down or up in scale you look.. it is inevitably to loose track and sense of the scale, and at that point it means nothing to you..
except an emptiness of ones feelings towards understanding the scale of universe.

Michael

shrox
05-11-2012, 12:10 PM
Sorry folks that thing is totally wrong, I created the universe and it currently manifests itself as a small lump of fuzz deep in the recesses of my navel sorry to burst your bubble.

well, it's time to shower, nice knowing you guys.

Then why is it called Russell's Teapot and not Daniel's Teapot?

BeeVee
05-12-2012, 09:38 AM
I like the example Bill Bryson gave in his Short History of Nearly Everything:

"Perhaps an even more effective way of grasping our extreme recentness as a part of this 4.5-billion-year-old picture is to stretch your arms to their fullest extent and imagine that width as the entire history of the Earth. On this scale, according to John McPhee in Basin and Range, the distance from the fingertips of one hand to the wrist of the other is Precambrian. All of complex life is in one hand, and in a single stroke with a medium-grained nail file you could eradicate human history."

B

inkpen3d
05-12-2012, 09:50 AM
I like the example Bill Bryson gave in his Short History of Nearly Everything:

"Perhaps an even more effective way of grasping our extreme recentness as a part of this 4.5-billion-year-old picture is to stretch your arms to their fullest extent and imagine that width as the entire history of the Earth. On this scale, according to John McPhee in Basin and Range, the distance from the fingertips of one hand to the wrist of the other is Precambrian. All of complex life is in one hand, and in a single stroke with a medium-grained nail file you could eradicate human history."

B

Good one!:thumbsup:

Red Dog Records
05-12-2012, 04:11 PM
☝Is TN anywhere near Texas? Pretty amazing. We all remember the IBM production in the late 70's called "Powers of 10 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0fKBhvDjuy0)"? Der, no scroll wheel...

Too bad the Universe is so damn big:D

I actually remember watching "Powers of Ten" for the first time in the 70's and was instantly drawn back to that when seeing this.
Incredible work.

Andrew

art
08-15-2012, 08:02 AM
I watched it again yesterday and wondered if LW would be able to handle the scale if one were to model something similar in 3D.

I remember one time I modeled the Sun and Earth to the right scale (including the distance between them ) just so I could fly the camera "at the speed of light, or faster" :)

jeric_synergy
08-15-2012, 08:18 AM
I watched it again yesterday and wondered if LW would be able to handle the scale if one were to model something similar in 3D.
Not even close. Even on Solar System sized objects, level of precision issues arise somewhere, IIRC, around the orbit of Jupiter.

In LW, quarks are almost visible.

art
08-15-2012, 09:33 AM
Not even close. Even on Solar System sized objects, level of precision issues arise somewhere, IIRC, around the orbit of Jupiter.

In LW, quarks are almost visible.

Did they cheat in flash to get the scaling right or that software has better precision?

jeric_synergy
08-15-2012, 10:16 AM
Did they cheat in flash to get the scaling right or that software has better precision?
That question is better asked of them.

That said, I'd think a simplistic, brute force, one-size-fits-all approach is unlikely. Perhaps they broke things into groups that use appropriate scales. At any time 3 groups could be on-screen, and the software could scale on the fly between them.

There's many ways.

aurora
08-15-2012, 10:49 AM

I remember one time I modeled the Sun and Earth to the right scale (including the distance between them ) just so I could fly the camera "at the speed of light, or faster" :)

Actually you can, but jeric is also not wrong. You have to do some funky duct taping to get it to work right. I've done more then a few sims with HUGE scale differences/issues in LW and they always require rendering in bursts of size changes. The key to my success is scripting quick panels to control when things get turned on/off for rendering. Sure you can do it with Object Properties->Render camera settings but with lots of objects this becomes a major pain and always prone to screwing you after the last minute. Plus if you are good/ambitious at scripting you can create sliders to control when they are on off. I set mine up similar to the Morph panels and life is well better. Better precision would be nice (coughitwouldhelpfixfracturesprecisiontoocough GRRRRRR)!

art
08-15-2012, 11:05 AM
Will Lightwave crash if I try to go below Planck length? ;)

jeric_synergy
08-15-2012, 11:17 AM
No, but the universe will invert and you'll find yourself as a hedge fund clerk. <:^(

aurora
08-15-2012, 01:35 PM
According to string theory the universe would protect itself by projecting you through a conifold transition thus creating a whole new topology. So if you tried to model a kitten and scale it down below the quantum foam you may end you with a bunny. You know the kind, the ones with big fangs, hides in a cave and eats knights on quests.

art
08-15-2012, 02:14 PM
No worries, I have the HolyGrenade.p plugin ready just for that occasion.

shrox
08-15-2012, 02:43 PM

Most excellent.

aurora
08-15-2012, 04:59 PM

A stupid sparrow flew off with mine:2guns::chicken:

robyht
08-15-2012, 06:32 PM
if you liked that, then check this out. from 1977

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0fKBhvDjuy0