PDA

View Full Version : Autodesk increase student pricing model by 4000

robertoortiz
05-09-2012, 01:23 PM
Repost from cgsociety thread :

BY
TeeJayEllis

Quote:
"I've posted this over at the Area and a couple other CG boards and it seems to have instigated many a negative response. Whilst I'm not hopeful it will make much difference, I do want to share it with you here on CG Talk to hear opinions.

I just graduated from an Architecture degree and was initially planning to purchase a commercial license of Max due to possible freelance projects in the near future.

I've just come off the phone with my local Autodesk reseller who's informed me of the new pricing for Student>Commercial upgrades on Autodesk products for 2013.

We were both in agreement that it's quite ridiculous, and he'd had a lot of complaints that he'd forwarded to Autodesk. I'm keen to hear some thoughts on this because it seems crazy.

In previous years (2012 and prior) a student could purchase the 'Entertainment Creation Suite' education version for around 160 here in the UK, and following graduation, could upgrade either Max or Maya to a full commercial license for around 600. I always thought this was a fantastic opportunity for both students to get themselves a legit copy of a primary 3D app, and also for Autodesk to secure some brand loyalty early on with graduates.

However, for reasons only known to Autodesk, you can no longer upgrade to individual packages, and must upgrade to the corresponding Suite.

So, you buy the Entertainment Creation Suite for 160, and then upgrade to the commercial version of the same suite... for 5000!!

Not only are individual students unlikely to be in a position to find 5000, they are also unlikely to need 90% of what's included in the Suite (Maya/Max, Mudbox, MotionBuilder, Softimage, Sketchbook).

I just can't see how they're going to sell any licenses to students now. I mean, if you've got money coming in, either as an experienced freelancer or indeed as an established studio, then of course 3000+ a seat is a cost that is recovered quickly, but for a graduate - I think it's pretty crazy to expect them to find that kind of money.

Along with the increase in subs pricing for 2013, and the outrageous pricing comparison outside of the US for full commercial seats (I think there's already a thread on this here) I'm kinda losing interest in Autodesk. It's just a shame that their stronghold means there isn't much opportunity for branching out. Even if I was to purchase an alternative, 99% of my colleagues and clients will all be using Autodesk products.

Adobe have just completely reversed this mentality with CS5.5 / 6. Students can now buy the EDU versions of any of the CS apps, and providing they're a student at the time of registration, the software can be used for whatever purpose one may wish, including full commercial use. A few music apps offer the same policy, Ableton Live for example offers around a 40% discount on new licenses for students, and allows full commercial use."

Titus
05-09-2012, 02:36 PM
Considering BSA and Autodesk just sent me threat letters and phone calls a couple of weeks ago suggesting I've illegal software on my studio, I'm not planning to install or update any AD software.

That's a shame, I still own a student Maya license.

OnlineRender
05-09-2012, 03:11 PM
now would be a very good time for NT to start pushing there education package ...

Chuck
05-09-2012, 03:18 PM
Folks,

The best thing to do if you have a concern about a company's policies is to go directly to the support and services for the company and express those concerns. Discussion of issues with regard to the policies of other vendors is off-topic for the NewTek product forums.

This thread is closed.