PDA

View Full Version : Lens Flares Showing Through Objects

sdilling
05-08-2012, 08:26 AM
I am creating space scenes and I want lens flares from the sun. I get really nice lens flares, but when a planet passes between the sun and the camera, the lense flare effect shines through the planet as though it is transparent. The only way to get around this that I have found is to select either Fade Behind Object or Glow Behind Object in the Lens Flare Properties. However, selecting either of these destroys the lens flares that I have created (ie circles of light and such as with a typical lens flare). Anyone know of a way to preserve the lens flare effect and have it not shine through objects without using glow behind or fade behind -or- use one of those two but preserve the lens flare effect? Thanks.

Simon-S
05-08-2012, 09:02 AM
Do your lens flare as a separate pass and put it together in comp.

prometheus
05-09-2012, 01:03 AM
it should work with some of the lens flare options you mentioned, keep in mind that if you are working with VPR ..it doesn´t render lensflares correctly as the native render does.

What version are you using of Lightwave, working and tweaking stuff like this would be great with Lightwave 11 since you can see it in realtime with VPR..
http://vimeo.com/36512425

Michael

joelaff
05-09-2012, 06:59 PM
Actually, comping your lens flares in the post will NOT work right with flares from lights that go behind objects. Try it to see what I mean. A flare happens in the lens. So it spreads out OVER even the most foreground object in the scene. Use the "Fade Behind Objects" setting in the Lens Flare options. This will do a pretty decent job (sometimes needs some tweaking in the comp when you render out the flare separately by setting all your objects to Matte Object black) of ramping the flare up and down as needed.

Well, I see you already are trying to use Fade Behind Objects... Should have read the OP.

Electric Image used to have a way to set the "size" of the light for ramping the lens flare based on how close the FG objects were. LW doesn't see to have a way to do that. Even with Spherical lights with a large scale the flare is still ramped at the same arbitrary distance as with a point light.

Perhaps you could change the scale of your scene to really small or really big... Though that didn't seem to make much difference either.

I guess you would have to manually envelope the flare intensity... Or use an expression to compute its distance to a null or something. Perhaps you could ramp the intensity with the Proximity Modifier in the Curve editor.

Mr Rid
05-09-2012, 10:37 PM
Fade-behind-object is kinda crappy since it makes an unnaturally intense dot near the edge of objects. I wind up manually enveloping the dissolve and intensity.

I also separate aspects of the flare for control over each intensity, by cloning the light so that one is reflections, and the other is the glowy part, etc. It sounds like maybe this is what you are wanting, to 'preserve' part of it.

sdilling
05-10-2012, 03:24 PM
I did two renders, one of the background objects, and one witht he foreground objest (those I wanted in front of the flare). xported both to Targa seq. and composited in layers in Adobe After Effects. This gave me the exact effect I was looking for. I would like to have done the whole thing in LW, but trying to figure it out was taking too long. Thanks for the replies and I am glad I have a pretty decent array of video tools.