PDA

View Full Version : What smartphone??

Mitja
05-08-2012, 04:35 AM
Hi! I'm about to get a new handset, as my old one's battery lasts only till 5oc. Long story short, I decided to go for the new Sony Xperia S, which is pretty cool (specs wise) and also nice to see. The other option would be the sammysung S2, but's like the iphone, almost everyone has it!
I heard about heating issues and screens going yellowish about the Sony, so I would like to hear your experience, face to face! Thanks!

zardoz
05-08-2012, 05:23 AM
well I had a xperia X8 and it totally sucked. It was slow with the stock rom. Only after I installed cyanogen it runned smooth. Sony decided not to update it (stayed at 2.1) and I as running cyanogen 7 (2.3 Gingerbread ) and it was really smooth.

now I have a samsung s2 plus and it is way better. Only problem is the gps which is a bit slow to start. But samsung already said that this model isn't getting any updates...I'm good at choosing phones. Other than that it's a very good phone. The screen is amazing.

BeeVee
05-08-2012, 06:11 AM
and the Galaxy 3 came out a couple of days ago...

B

Mitja
05-08-2012, 07:29 AM
and the Galaxy 3 came out a couple of days ago...

B

Too much €€€€€€....
Anyway, seems that the xperia issue is quite bad, lots of cases, people waiting for a repair display for months... Or should I play russian roulette and try to buy one anyway?
I thought sony was a serious company.

Mitja
05-08-2012, 07:31 AM
well I had a xperia X8 and it totally sucked. It was slow with the stock rom. Only after I installed cyanogen it runned smooth. Sony decided not to update it (stayed at 2.1) and I as running cyanogen 7 (2.3 Gingerbread ) and it was really smooth.

now I have a samsung s2 plus and it is way better. Only problem is the gps which is a bit slow to start. But samsung already said that this model isn't getting any updates...I'm good at choosing phones. Other than that it's a very good phone. The screen is amazing.

Thanks for your feedback! The old sony ericsson was slow indeed, not enough ram, but this xperia has 1gb and a dualcore cpu. The only other option is the s2. Damn sony!

zardoz
05-08-2012, 09:09 AM
Recently I also bought a usb pen from sony...it is a piece of s***. In the support webpage they say to download their format tool and format the pen several times...??? sony never more. I only had bad experiences with sony.

UnCommonGrafx
05-08-2012, 02:13 PM
Get a quad core phone as dual core is so yesterday.

That and make sure it has ics on it, too.

ivanze
05-08-2012, 02:24 PM
Just changed from Iphone 3GS to Samsung Galaxy Note and Iīm really impressed. Although it is a phone/tablet hybrid but you get used to the size.

alesxander
05-08-2012, 02:43 PM
samsung galaxy note? i'll need pants like this...

http://www.geekologie.com/2011/05/tactical-pants-w-pockets-big-enough-for.php

COBRASoft
05-08-2012, 04:06 PM
I have a Xperia Arc S, single core, 1.4GHz, ICS and it rocks. The Bravia Engine and the screen are much better looking than the Galaxy SII (have this also for Android development).

ivanze
05-08-2012, 04:08 PM
samsung galaxy note? i'll need pants like this...

http://www.geekologie.com/2011/05/tactical-pants-w-pockets-big-enough-for.php

lol, no, it is only 5.3"

Mitja
05-09-2012, 12:30 AM
I played with note, the s2 and the xperia. The note is too big, I think my friends would laugh for days at me if they would see me speaking at that phone. The s2 is too common though... The xperia was the best chioce, girls would ask me to see my toy, then I would say: hey, wanna see another one? You know what I mean... ;)
Seriously, I don't care about 2 or 4 core, I'm not to build a renderfarm. I suppose that if I could live with an iphone 3, with a dual core I would feel like a king, with all the games and stuff. Also the display of the sony is amazing, really, better than the s2's. If only it wouldn't have this issue withe the screen... check for yourself. http://www.esato.com/news/sony-acknowledge-display-issue-with-the-xperia-s-2300

Sensei
05-09-2012, 12:54 AM
Everybody with camera from wrong side to use Skype video teleconference, and watch interlocutor in the same time, please hands up... ;)

OnlineRender
05-09-2012, 03:30 AM
g3 looks superb however I just upgraded my htc desire S to htcone comes on friday , but as for the Desire S its a great phone and dropped in price , it pretty much handles anything I sit play Gta or Fifa or any game for that matter running at full fps ,its been an extension of my right arm ,down to my spotify account all synced

ken_g9
05-09-2012, 03:37 AM
I've you'll go Android, I suggest the Galaxy Nexus. Nothing beats the vanilla ICS experience for me. :)

Only $399 unlocked on the Google Play store (if you are in the US at least).

Or, go with the HTC One X. :D

warmiak
05-09-2012, 08:51 AM
I've you'll go Android, I suggest the Galaxy Nexus. Nothing beats the vanilla ICS experience for me. :)

Only $399 unlocked on the Google Play store (if you are in the US at least).

Or, go with the HTC One X. :D

I switched to Galaxy Nexus (Verizon) from iPhone 3gs and frankly, while some features are better, the thing is just nowhere near as smooth and responsive as my 3 years old iPhone 3gs was.

Not to mention crashing ( requiring device reboots) 2-3 times a week ....

Mitja
05-09-2012, 09:04 AM
I switched to Galaxy Nexus (Verizon) from iPhone 3gs and frankly, while some features are better, the thing is just nowhere near as smooth and responsive as my 3 years old iPhone 3gs was.

Is'nt the nexus quite old? I mean, you can get an S2 for about the same money, it should be a bit newer.

warmiak
05-09-2012, 05:24 PM
Is'nt the nexus quite old? I mean, you can get an S2 for about the same money, it should be a bit newer.

Depens how you define old i guess. It came out in late 2011.

kopperdrake
05-09-2012, 05:27 PM
I'm happy with my iPhone 3gs - runs smooth, never crashes, bounces quite well.

Mitja
05-10-2012, 04:33 AM
The nexus has a camera of only 5mpx, the photos aren't so sharp. And's only 1.2ghz. For that money I would choose the S2!
Still the sony seems better... Look: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kxMj-SCbx9c
Why the only phone I would like to get is the only faulty too?! Is this bad karma?

Bill Carey
05-10-2012, 12:27 PM
If most people you know have iphones go that way. imessage saves me a ton of money on texting charges.

BeeVee
05-10-2012, 01:34 PM
There's always Viber and WhatApp. Those are available for both platforms.

B

ken_g9
05-11-2012, 01:13 AM

Not to mention crashing ( requiring device reboots) 2-3 times a week ....

Oh yeah, I've heard the Verizon (LTE) version has quite a few problems. I use the GSM international version and I'm loving it. The reason I like the Nexus over GS2 is that it's a Nexus phone - vanilla Android. I guess I'm a minority but I'm not a fan of Android overlays, something like Touchwiz. I guess it is a matter of preference. :)

Mitja
05-11-2012, 04:42 AM
Yes, another thing. How's the raw android? I always thought it's too crude, and I'm still a bit sceptic about this. But I never used an android based phone, so...

zapper1998
05-11-2012, 08:57 AM
I am waiting for the Smartphone with the Transporting Feature :)

Andriod ..

:)

warmiak
05-11-2012, 11:17 AM
I have what you would call a "raw Android" on Google Nexus - nothing but pure Ice Cream Sandwich.

It is OK I guess, I never used Android before and that's the latest and greatest but I still think my old 3gs was just plain better.
Don't forget we are talking here about a comparison between an old iPhone and the latest Android so in a sense, I am disappointed.

The funny thing is that my wife got herself a Windows 7 phone and that thing rocks - it is every bit just as good as iPhone and way better than Nexus.

geo_n
05-11-2012, 12:14 PM
The other option would be the sammysung S2, but's like the iphone, almost everyone has it!

Check out alcatel 995.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=txioFfQArzI
Its cheap and not everyone has it:thumbsup:. Samsung is so generic and unappealing.

COBRASoft
05-12-2012, 02:03 AM
Don't underestimate Windows Phone 7 (and in some months 8). It is f*cking great and smooth. Android is my favorite for the moment, but I guess WP8 will change that. It has so many good things in it and supports Silverlight... Can't be beaten by iOS or Android for developers...

Mitja
05-13-2012, 03:16 AM
Alcatel no, please no... :)
I'm hearing good things about the winphone, but I fera it's too closed in his world. Android and ios have so many free apps and in general you can find whatever you want. Is it the same for the win market? I don't think so. A friend of mine had an acer with win 5, and the experience was so horrible that I can't imagine to use something based on a MS mobile os, thing have changed though.

cresshead
05-13-2012, 04:14 AM
i have a HTC wildfire for me it's okay, it was cheap (Ģ100) and works for stuff i need such as kindle app, wifi hot spot, yahoo mail and as a phone!...camera is slow but okay video is crap as it's 15fps.

ken_g9
05-18-2012, 09:20 AM
Yes, another thing. How's the raw android? I always thought it's too crude, and I'm still a bit sceptic about this. But I never used an android based phone, so...

It really depends on what you are looking on a phone. Raw (vanilla) android has been quite crude till version 2.3 (Gingerbread) but ICS has a very consistent design language. Android is very flexible and this is where it shines. If you are looking for something simple and easy to use, then iOS or even WP7 would be a better option. But if you are the type who likes tinkering with their devices and playing around with ROMs - Android would be the way to go. Bottom line is, it's all in your preference. :)

Comparing raw (vanilla) android and the Android with OEM skins (Touchwiz, Sense, Motoblur) though would be a different story. The biggest appeal of vanilla Android is in the upgrades. Typically phones with vanilla Android (pretty much only the Nexus) will get updates months ahead of the rest.

Mitja
05-23-2012, 02:30 AM
Ok you guys, I just ordered the Xperia S, now waiting it to arrive. Let's hope for the best!

Philbert
05-23-2012, 03:49 AM
I just upgraded to a Droid RAZR Maxx about 2 weeks ago. I was originally looking at the Galaxy Note but didn't want to switch to AT&T. I'm thrilled with my decision anyway though, this phone feel very fluid and fast, takes great pictures and video, and the battery lasts forever. I can unplug it in the morning, spend an average day with it, and go to bed with about 60% charge still on it.

Mitja
05-24-2012, 04:59 AM
I just upgraded to a Droid RAZR Maxx about 2 weeks ago. I was originally looking at the Galaxy Note but didn't want to switch to AT&T. I'm thrilled with my decision anyway though, this phone feel very fluid and fast, takes great pictures and video, and the battery lasts forever. I can unplug it in the morning, spend an average day with it, and go to bed with about 60% charge still on it.

Some days ago my girlfriend said the razr is (quoting): "Ugly".
You know, girls and their technical knowledge... :D
The battery is indeed the weakest point of most of the handesets, but as long as I can reach the end of a day it doesn't bother me. Even if I go to sleep with 50 or 60% of battery, I'm not sure that it will be enough for tomorrow, so I would charge it anyways. Just my pov!

Philbert
05-24-2012, 12:00 PM
But extra means that you can use it extra hard during the day, or go out at night, or spend time in bad connection areas without worrying about lasting until bed time. My old phone (Droid X) was fine until bedtime most of the time but if I did anything extra with it it was dead by dinner.

Mitja
05-25-2012, 03:08 AM
I guess you're right. I'm speaking about my experience. With my iphone 2g I could reach the night with no problems, and the battery was not so good at the time. I use only wifi when needed though, never used edge though. I saw a battery review of the xperia s, and it's as good as the 4s in terms of battery life. And dont forget that the retina dispaly has a lower res and a lower ppi (326 vs 346 of the xperia). Should be enough for me.

Rayek
05-26-2012, 01:39 AM
I find life without a cell phone much more relaxed. ;-)

JonW
05-26-2012, 04:37 AM
I find life without a cell phone much more relaxed. ;-)

Last year had a 3 month holiday in Europe. No mobile phone for 3 months. No GPS. No computer, & didn't access one for about 10 weeks. Using a keyboard after this length of time felt really strange.

We bought a few of those old paper maps on the run to find our way. We really enjoyed getting away from everything. I recommend it to everyone. Extremely liberating!

Mitja
05-28-2012, 01:51 AM
What exactly is extremely liberating? Being without a pc for 10 weeks or being on a 3 month holyday?!
I wonder if I will ever have this experience... :D

Philbert
05-28-2012, 01:53 AM
I start going stir crazy without the net for more than a day or so.

JonW
05-28-2012, 02:40 AM
What exactly is extremely liberating? Being without a pc for 10 weeks or being on a 3 month holyday?!
I wonder if I will ever have this experience... :D

Without the PC!

Travelling around was in some respects hard work, living out of a car & camping most of the time. But after about a 2 week phone withdrawal you realise just how pointless most of the electronic gadgets are.

When not camping we resorted to our yacht!

Rayek
05-28-2012, 08:48 AM
No television

No car

No cell phone

No watch

Each time I leave the house I am free

To my own thoughts, taking in the world around me

Living in the Now

and seeing my fellow human beings

limit their perception of the world to tiny screens telling them

What to worry about

Not me

I see the universe in a blade of grass

What's there to worry about?

JonW
05-28-2012, 04:23 PM
No television

No car

No cell phone

No watch

Each time I leave the house I am free

To my own thoughts, taking in the world around me

Living in the Now

and seeing my fellow human beings

limit their perception of the world to tiny screens telling them

What to worry about

Not me

I see the universe in a blade of grass

What's there to worry about?

In a meeting many years ago I just happen to notice glancing around the 12 or so people there. Not one of us was wearing a watch, & far from all had a mobile phone either.

It's pretty sad with the number of people around here. They have cricked necks looking down into there smart phones "limiting their perception of the world to tiny screens telling them what to worry about" & or have earphones on. They are so focused in their own world, I think they have lost any ability to take in any of the pleasurable surroundings they live in.

Life is far too short for us lucky few!

Mitja
05-30-2012, 08:06 AM
I'm sorry to tell you that my xperia s has arrived. It's home. I'm at job, so no review till tomorrow.
I'm sad because for next day's I'll miss all the beaty of nature, looking in a 4.3" display.
Anyway, this thread gave another idea/question for you fellow lw'ers: do you live in a city or suburbs? Specifically, can you enjoy nature or are you stuck in a concrete world?

Philbert
05-30-2012, 12:30 PM
I'm in the 'burbs and hate it. Nothing happens here and the nearest store of any type is a mile away from my house. However. I have no rent to pay so I guess I can't complain.

JonW
05-30-2012, 03:58 PM
At some stage I'm going to have to replace my phone, it's getting a bit long in the tooth!

Philbert
05-30-2012, 04:12 PM
Interestingly I just heard that in Japan smart phones have no quite caught on the way they have in the US. It was also mentioned that social media hasn't really either.

Mitja
05-31-2012, 01:17 AM
Interestingly I just heard that in Japan smart phones have no quite caught on the way they have in the US. It was also mentioned that social media hasn't really either.

Sure since they have the tamagotchi! :thumbsup:

geo_n
05-31-2012, 01:59 AM

3-5 years ago we already had better phones featurewise. Back then 5 megapixel camera back vga front, 720p hd recording, built in tv, internet unlimited packets (pakihodai) and lastly foma. Foma allows videochatting which is just getting popular in android using skype. When I switched to iphone 3 a few years ago from docomo phone I was so annoyed there's no foma, no way to do video call. It also didn't support barcode scanning which is so useful for free stuff, discounts, etc. No electronic swipe to pay the train fare, convenience store or even fastfood like mcdonalds.
Right now we made projects based on flartoolkit to use for mobile phones. Basically you use your camera to scan barcode on a poster, a street sign, etc and then something pops out augmented reality stuff and its interactive. You get freestuff, promo, etc. Its a good marketting gimmick using this tech. Don't know how that's being developed in other countries. Do you have in the US?
You should check out mixi socialnetwork but its exclusive to japanese and been around for ages.

Mitja
05-31-2012, 04:24 AM
3-5 years ago we already had better phones featurewise. Back then 5 megapixel camera back vga front, 720p hd recording, built in tv, internet unlimited packets (pakihodai) and lastly foma. Foma allows videochatting which is just getting popular in android using skype. When I switched to iphone 3 a few years ago from docomo phone I was so annoyed there's no foma, no way to do video call. It also didn't support barcode scanning which is so useful for free stuff, discounts, etc. No electronic swipe to pay the train fare, convenience store or even fastfood like mcdonalds.
Right now we made projects based on flartoolkit to use for mobile phones. Basically you use your camera to scan barcode on a poster, a street sign, etc and then something pops out augmented reality stuff and its interactive. You get freestuff, promo, etc. Its a good marketting gimmick using this tech. Don't know how that's being developed in other countries. Do you have in the US?
You should check out mixi socialnetwork but its exclusive to japanese and been around for ages.

I can tell you about Italy: nothing of this here. Some barcodes I think, but I've never seen it in everyday usage. So lame!

BeeVee
05-31-2012, 01:56 PM

I was in Tokyo in 1999 - long before smartphones existed - but already there were phones with keyboards and internet access, amazing stuff and some really cool phones that cost less than a pound sterling to buy outright, in the days when you got your mobile under a two-year contract and still had to fork out Ģ150 for the privilege. I am shocked that Japan is only *this* far ahead... :D

B

geo_n
05-31-2012, 09:08 PM
That's the problem with the japanese world. Everything is closed off unless you dig deeper. From the animation and film industry, technology, lifestyle, etc. Unless you come to japan its very hard to know what's really happening and what it has to offer. But the internet is changing that a bit.