PDA

View Full Version : How to make UV planar map on oblique surface.

treddie
05-08-2012, 03:38 AM
Hi.

Someone, a couple of weeks ago offered a solution to this problem but when I got to thinking about it, it just seems crazy that there is not an easier method. His method, which was actually cool, was this. Let's say you have a complicated scene, and in that scene is a big billboard sign on the side of a highway that is tilted at an odd angle (in other words not normal to the x, y or z axes. But if you want to apply a planar texture image to that billboard, he suggested rotating the sign so that it IS lined up with the x/y/z axes, apply the UV map and texture, then reverse rotate the sign back to its original position.

But that can be complicated and not necessarily accurate if you do not know exactly what angles the sign is at to begin with.

Is there not a way to say, choose a polygon in the plane of the billboard to find the plane for a new planar UV map, and then choose vertexes as guides to rotate that UV plane so that it is lined up with the sign's edges? The last step would be to assign that plane as the UV map for a planar projection.

Maybe there is even an easier way? I'm stumped.

jomax
05-08-2012, 04:06 AM
Hi treddie

what i do is do an atlas map inside PLG tools. And later PLG pack UV with 'adjust size to the 3d mesh' enabled. this usually works for me

treddie
05-08-2012, 04:44 AM
jomax, thanks for responding.

I downloaded and installed both the PLG makeuv and makeuv_edit plugins, but LW11 will not load the makeuv_edit control panel for some reason.

CORRECTION...I see now that you get to it via the numeric button.

------------
I need to get to bed, so I will play with this in the morning and report back.

Thanks again.

rcallicotte
05-08-2012, 06:47 AM
Not to steal LW's thunder, but 3D Coat has some great UV tools. Gave me confidence where I had almost zero hope I could get it figured out.

BeeVee
05-08-2012, 07:14 AM
Just another workaround, but you can always use 11's Align to Ground function to temporarily place the polygon/area you want flat.

B

ben martin
05-08-2012, 07:21 AM
Not to steal LW's thunder, but 3D Coat has some great UV tools. Gave me confidence where I had almost zero hope I could get it figured out.

I'm with you on this.
My Lightwave UV problems have all gone since I got 3D-Coat :thumbsup:

erikals
05-08-2012, 09:04 AM
PLG vidz, not sure if these can help....
http://youtu.be/CbPTQ5mopuQ
http://youtu.be/E35qOmRBf-c

treddie
05-08-2012, 02:43 PM
what i do is do an atlas map inside PLG tools. And later PLG pack UV with 'adjust size to the 3d mesh' enabled. this usually works for me

Got PLG to create a UV map. Thank you because that was a big step to get where I need to be. But I am curious in that selecting edges does not seem to have any affect on the result. Is this because my areas are essentially rectangular, and PLG would have chosen certain boundaries anyway? In other words if I have a cube, and I select one face of the cube to be pulled out as a separate area on the UV map, PLG would have selected that anyway?

Concerning PLG Pack UV Chart, I could not get the plugin to load in LW11. It just says that 0 plugins out of 1 were loaded.

Just another workaround, but you can always use 11's Align to Ground function to temporarily place the polygon/area you want flat.

I'm assuming you mean Rest on Ground (F3). It just seems to move a selection of polys to anew location without rotating them into one of the principal planes XY, YZ, ZX.

Concerning 3D-Coat, it seems great for painting onto surfaces, but as I recall had no tools for importing bitmaps to be placed where you want to put them. It's been awhile, so I could be wrong. Another one that might work is BodyPaint, but I found its GUI to be way more convoluted than it needs to be. If I haven't used it for awhile, I have to go back through and relearn how to do stuff, again.

Lewis
05-08-2012, 03:04 PM
I'm assuming you mean Rest on Ground (F3). It just seems to move a selection of polys to anew location without rotating them into one of the principal planes XY, YZ, ZX.

NO, he really means "align to plane" i.e. new wannabe of workplanes tool/hack/lookalike in Lw11 :). But yeah it might work in this case and afterwards you hit back "restore align" to bring mesh back to initial position.

Or you can use JettoLocal and few other 3rd party plugins what do same for years, workarounds, workaorunds and more workarounds, sadly that's LWM workflow :D.

treddie
05-08-2012, 03:31 PM
Where is Align to Plane? I can't find any discussion of it in the manual or on the internet. It must have an NSA classification. :D

probiner
05-08-2012, 03:48 PM
PLG doesn't care if your polygon is oblique or not.
But PLG is an unwrap method not projection. If you really need projection you can align like refereed before with something like Modify Tab>Rotate>More>Rotate to Ground (the first selected poly is the reference) in a Morph, so you can dump it later, after taking that projection to the UV.
C-Plane does the same, but I easily get better alignments with the axis than with Rotate to Ground. (here you just need to select the reference poly)

Cheers

treddie
05-08-2012, 07:05 PM
If you really need projection you can align like refereed before with something like Modify Tab>Rotate>More>Rotate to Ground (the first selected poly is the reference) in a Morph

I must confess ignorance when you say "in a Morph".

probiner
05-08-2012, 07:18 PM
I mean, using morphs, is a good old way to temporarily change the mesh so you can project it correctly to the UV space. After this you can then delete the morph and all the changes are gone, but the UV stays.

Before PLG this had to be done to even quite simple things. It was a pain :D

Cheers

Lewis
05-09-2012, 12:34 AM
Where is Align to Plane? I can't find any discussion of it in the manual or on the internet. It must have an NSA classification. :D

In LWM 11 :).

Plugin/tool is called "Cplane Align" jus tin case you don't have trashed configs to see it on bottom of modeler screen in default configs.

but yeah nobody asked do you have LW11 :).

treddie
05-09-2012, 03:11 AM
Yah, LW11. But I am seriously thinking about dropping back to 9.x on my station. 10 and 11 on the PC are abysmal. They have hediously long wait states and hang constantly, crash, and half the plugins out there don't work with them. So of what worth is it? More bells and whistles and more headaches. If they changed their company name to NewBeta, I might understand.

erikals
05-09-2012, 03:17 AM
 
as good as no crashes here in 10.1, and 95% of the Modeler plugins i use work in 10...

always report a FogBugs with content though if it does (see my signature)
but again, no crashes here...