PDA

View Full Version : controlling alignment and rotation of instances?

bbuxton
05-08-2012, 03:07 AM
Is it possible to align intances alongs path say to create traffic for a fairly complex street network? Additionally, I would like to set rotation values on a per instance basis - Modo does this with a transform (vertex map) for the pointcloud - is there a similar method in Lightwave? I have been very happy with Lightwave's performance with instances an would like to bring over a couple of projects from Modo to animate in Layout (easier to understand animation tools & no shader tree!!).

Many thanks...

Lewis
05-08-2012, 07:02 AM
well currently you can't control individual instance transformation (it's all or nothing). I think they will change this in future Lw versions 'coz lot of users wanted that and both LW instancing plugins (HDI and DPI) allow that. But for a workaround you can add multiple instancers to do similar (although you'll have to control possible overlapping manually). Or you can use "clone instance" option and position/rotate/translate each instance manually (tiresome but for some specific stuff very usable).

As for path there is "motion path" option for instance alignment so you could try that or do it with good old trick of "polygon short edge".

bbuxton
05-08-2012, 08:04 AM
Ooh! I hadn't looked at DP Instance....

Motion paths maybe a bit beyond me at this point.... I have a few hundred streets to populate with 'light' traffic. I may have to bring the static obj export straight from CityEngine (2.5Gb obj file!!! for just the cars).

Pity Kray is so crash prone/not working on LW 11 - I could bevel the pointcloud to get tris then set their rotation as required.

Thanks for the helpful pointers.... looking at DPI now...