PDA

View Full Version : 'Scream'er Net Help

michaeldejong
05-07-2012, 05:59 PM
Hi guys,

so to the point with this post - will the documents about screamernet in the help file that came with lightwave11 actually work ?

Ive tried to follow it but so far I have not had any luck, but to be honest I havent gone through all of it, its just that I see it is on an older version of windows and is using lightwave 8.

Can anybody provide help or encouragement ? :lwicon:

Sensei
05-07-2012, 07:34 PM
Check this out:

Q:How to setup LightWave renderfarm?
A:The first step is to create NAS- Network Area Storage. The simplest way is to share in network some folder, on machine which has fast hard disk and is running all the time, with read and write access for everybody in LAN.

You should make there Content, Commands, and Config directories.

Copy your local LightWave configuration files to Config directory.

Run text editor, such as Notepad, and make script looking like:

cd "[path to LightWave executables]"
lwsn -2 -c"\\SERVER\LWSN\Config" -d"\\SERVER\LWSN\Content" "\\SERVER\LWSN\Commands\job1" "\\SERVER\LWSN\Commands\ack1"

Where SERVER is the name of your all the time running machine.
And LWSN is name under which you shared folder in network.

Make as many such scripts as you have machines in LAN, replacing job1 and ack1 by unique number at the end.

Path to executables- to simplify life you can install LightWave on just one machine, and allow other to see that folder in network with read-only access. Setting read-write access for this folder is not recommended because some virus might scan LAN and searching for executables to infect.

Run scripts on the all machines.

Run LightWave, open Render > Network Render, and pick up \\SERVER\LWSN\Commands\ as Command Directory and let it initialize.

Lewis
05-08-2012, 07:11 AM
although all this what Sensei said has sense and it's correct and easy to grasp once when you did it already I'm pretty sure it's way too confusing for newcomer to this kind of setups. So if you wish you can check Matt's video tutorial on his page (under tutorials check for "Setting up ScreamerNet for Windows")
http://www.pixsim.co.uk/

cheers

JonW
05-08-2012, 08:17 AM
although all this what Sensei said has sense and it's correct and easy to grasp once when you did it already I'm pretty sure it's way too confusing for newcomer to this kind of setups. So if you wish you can check Matt's video tutorial on his page (under tutorials check for "Setting up ScreamerNet for Windows")
http://www.pixsim.co.uk/

cheers

I remember first trying to set it up I had no understanding, but now can do it with my eyes closed.

Matt's tutorial video & PDF are great.

It would be nice if Newtek put a bit of effort into this area!

michaeldejong
05-08-2012, 04:02 PM
As an aspiring artist I find this Veeery technical, possibly beyond the time I have to figure it out, luckily its not vital at this point.

That tutorial link looks the most helpful but even it seems to be from nine or so years ago.

Maybe this is something newtek will give some attention to one day. *sigh*

Thanks for everyone who helped with this post.

:lwicon:

UnCommonGrafx
05-08-2012, 05:58 PM
Seriously,
Do it with a neighbor kid of 12 or so, doing every step to the letter, and it will only be successful.

NT could only create a better controller and remote-starter for lwsn; everything else is pretty cool.

michaeldejong
05-08-2012, 10:53 PM
Seriously,
Do it with a neighbor kid of 12 or so, doing every step to the letter, and it will only be successful.

lol, there's an element of truth to that. I just havent had the time to go through it completely yet.
My first roadblock was the difference in folder structures of the .cfg files etc between the documented version of lightwave and 11

I will take a harder look at this feature in the future, when I have more than two computers worth rendering with =)

Sensei
05-08-2012, 10:57 PM
LW v10+ are storing configs in e.g.
C:\Documents and Settings\[user]\.NewTek\LightWave\11.0

joelaff
05-08-2012, 11:21 PM
Just get ButterflyNetRender and be done with it. You will not regret it. It has various price points for different sized studios. It is easy to setup, and production proven.

UnCommonGrafx
05-09-2012, 04:18 AM
Ah, Then you are really done if you have figured out the folder structure.
As Sensei says, the structure changed a bit.

I had to get out of my way, too. :) I wanted to "understand" what all that gobley gook was. Close your minds eye and just do the instructions.

I encourage you because of the wonderful feeling of calm and power that comes over one after a successful render off of one of your render nodes. It is an experience every LW should have. ;)

Yeah, I just woke up...

lol, there's an element of truth to that. I just havent had the time to go through it completely yet.
My first roadblock was the difference in folder structures of the .cfg files etc between the documented version of lightwave and 11

I will take a harder look at this feature in the future, when I have more than two computers worth rendering with =)