PDA

View Full Version : Calculating particles

daz1761
05-07-2012, 02:31 PM
Im currently working on a fireworks display, and I have all 4 emitters just as I want them over 400 frames. As soon as I calculate them (I presume its calculating all 4), they are playing up by running out of particles well before 400 frames, and not starting exactly on frame 0. Are you supposed to calculate these particles? If so how come both methods differ?

Im using lw11.0.1

Thanks

Rove
05-07-2012, 02:48 PM
You are probably running out of particles because you set the Particle Limit too low. Use a higher number for Particle Limit and you should be fine.

And for the other problem:
If your particles do not start on frame 0 you might have turned on Fixed on the generator Tab and your Start Frame might be set to a different number then frame 0. Make sure to turn off Fixed or set the Start Frame to 0 if you want the particles to start on frame 0.

daz1761
05-07-2012, 03:25 PM
Very strange as "fixed" was not turned on at all. That does make sense about the particle limit tho.

Are you best calculating particles or just leaving them as they are?

Thanks

Rove
05-07-2012, 03:51 PM
Very strange as "fixed" was not turned on at all. That does make sense about the particle limit tho.

Are you best calculating particles or just leaving them as they are?

Thanks

You could calculate things but normally you won't need any more then a couple thousand of particles for the total scene. It all depends on you needs. Oh and I also forgot to mention that partigon emitters work out better for fireworks then HV emitters.

I attached a very simple example which you can study. I didn't use partigon emitters in this example merely because I wasn't planning on rendering this scene.

Rove
05-08-2012, 12:50 AM
Oh and I also forgot to mention that partigon emitters work out better for fireworks then HV emitters.

Kinda weird to correct myself but I'll just blame it on the time of night I posted the message. Ofcourse you can get the most marvelous of fireworks using HV sprites!

prometheus
05-08-2012, 01:16 AM
And since your using Lw 11, you can now crank out several millions of particles since they removed the 1 million limit.

working with fireworks and parenting emitters to each other would be so much easier if we could direct parent emitters once you add or create them with a parent option field from wich you select a parent emitter directly.
Or why not a multi emitter choice from scratch where you can set amount of emmitters created at once, so you can choose and set a value of 2,3,4 or some more emitters to be created instantly and choose to have them instantly parented consecutive.

Michael

daz1761
05-08-2012, 03:23 AM
Cheers guys

What is the difference between a partigon and hv? Also, if you do calculate 1 emitter, but you have 3 parented, etc, does it calculate all emitters?

Yes, using lw11.0.1

Sorted it now by using pixie dust and a few gradients. I noticed you can apply a texture to the fuzzyness and colour. I did try a few procedural textures but my smaller explosions didn't seem to change.

Cheers

prometheus
05-08-2012, 05:28 AM
You can use partigons and control how it renders with the surface panel, if you activate glow in surface, and in image processing, you can have a nice glow suitable for fireworks.

You have no control over particle size thou, only glow size..

You can also use partigons and save them out as static point clusters from any keyframe of the simulated particles.
There´s also a tool particle to partigon command that convert hv particle emitter to partigons.

Michael

Rove
05-08-2012, 03:46 PM
Also, if you do calculate 1 emitter, but you have 3 parented, etc, does it calculate all emitters?

Yes it calculates all emitters once you hit Calculate. This doesn't mean you cannot set the specific time you want an emitter (or parented emitter) to start emitting particles. You have several options which influence the time an emitter starts emitting parrticles. Those can be found on the Generator Tab. Best thing to do is to just start experimenting with settings.