PDA

View Full Version : Doing a Quad-Box Effect...

jmmultex
05-07-2012, 11:48 AM
I am looking to do a LIVE quad-box effect using the TriCaster 850 (Ruling out SpeedEdit)...

Ideally, I would like to do it using 4 distinct inputs, but AFAIK, that isn't possible on the 850 (maybe with the 855?). Failing that, the alternative I see is to generate a single video signal outside of the TriCaster that combines the 4 sources, and to then use one of the DSK's to create a mask on top of it that can frame each video independently.

Any other thoughts for doing this? Any other external gear for this that works well with the TriCaster?

Thanks,
John

Lee-AVP
05-07-2012, 12:01 PM
Three layers of video in the VI setup, and a fourth from one of the Overlay/DSK channels.

joseburgos
05-07-2012, 12:30 PM
I'll add that this is for a quad box with no borders or on black background.
If you want it to have borders or an image background, then you design it in VSE with background being an image and A and B a box each. Then the 3rd is fed via Virtual Overlay and the forth is a DSK.
If you want a motion background, then again VSE but B is background, A is one of the boxes, Virtual Overlay 2nd box, DSK1 third box and DSK2 forth box.

An external quad compositor works very well as with the benefit of easier to execute but takes up a camera input.

joseburgos
05-07-2012, 12:35 PM
Oh and I recommend Decimator MD Quad.

joseburgos
05-07-2012, 12:41 PM
If you use a MD Quad, using VSE, you can design a LiveSet that can re-size and arrange the quad as input A, add B as the background as well as add image border/frames.
Example;
Input one is box on top of inputs 2-4 side by side.
Or
MD Quad as input B and input A is another camera with image background and image borders/frames. Input A smaller box and quad input B with built-in cropping and sizing to be side by side under the A input box.
In conjunction with the DSK, you can make RED borders that overlay over one of the boxes to do a "mute the other input mics and only allow box with RED border audio to pass". Of course you would need to handle the mute function separately :)

Take care,

jmmultex
05-07-2012, 03:20 PM
Thanks Lee-AVP. Thanks Jose. - Great Information.

-john