PDA

View Full Version : OT: Anyone here using DVD SP?

js33
10-23-2003, 09:56 PM
Hi All,

I'm considering getting DVD SP. Does anyone here use it?
How does it compare to other DVD programs?
I've just created a DVD using Adobe's new Encore program but I didn't like it very much. It's only at version 1 so it's probably too early to judge it.

Cheers,
JS

js33
10-24-2003, 04:43 AM
I guess no one here makes DVDs?

Cheers,
JS

eblu
10-24-2003, 07:28 AM
i make dvds... but with idvd at the moment. great app, not full featured, but almost overkill for my hobby.

Noclar7
10-24-2003, 08:03 AM
We use DVD Studio Pro here. Our last project was a 7 hour 2 disk 8.5 gig set for the Canada Games.

DVD Studio Pro 1 & 1.5 absolutely Blows! It was the most pain in the .... I'm going to stop now... It really has the feel of a 1.0 program. With that said, we have just received our upgrade to version 2.0 and they really did a major overhaul. The workflow went from a node-based to a timeline, you can do just about anything with menu's now, its subtitler actualy works with common formats now, and a whole bunch of other stuff that they say on the site.

So to sum it up, if your thinking of getting 1.5... don't .
If your thinking of getting 1.5 and upgrading or getting 2.0, go for it.

The thing is, 1.0 came out before most consumers could even dream of owning a DVD burner, now that 2.0 has entered the market years later, apple has finally caught up.

Were working on a project right now using DVDSP2 so I'll let you know if I come across any crazy hangups.

Regards,
RJ

js33
10-24-2003, 02:28 PM
Hi Noclar7,

Thanks for the info.
I understand about the 1.0 version thing. I used Encore 1.0 from Adobe to do my most recent DVD and it worked but it was kind of a pain in the ***** as well. I guess it's not uncommon then since you say DVDSP was the same way in version 1.0. I am considering getting the 2.0 version that's out now. Also I know it was $1,000 now it is only $499. So I guess the longer you wait the better and cheaper it gets.

Everyone seems to agree that DVD SP is the one to get. Unless you want one of the really high end 5K systems.

Cheers,
JS