PDA

View Full Version : Help for a Newbie - Numeric Options

sofiagloor
05-04-2012, 08:28 PM
I am new to LightWave and cannot figure out how to go back and edit an object using the Numeric Options after it has been deselected. Sometimes I can get the object to activate using the Numeric Options and make the changes. Other times it makes a new object and will not allow me to select my original object.

I am sure that there is a simple solution, but unfortunately I have not figured it out yet.

I would appreciate any ideas on how to fix my problem.

Thanks!

nickdigital
05-04-2012, 08:56 PM
Once you make an object and "drop" the tool you can't go back and edit it. Objects in LW aren't the same as in other programs like Maya, Max and SI.

mdharman
05-04-2012, 09:04 PM
Once you have deactivated the modeling tool, the primitive cannot be modified in that manner. Let's say you clicked on the box tool for example. You can draw out a box with the mouse or put numerical values into the numerical panel. When you get the box the way you want it, you should turn off the box tool by either clicking on the tool button in the left panel or hitting the enter key. I tend to hit the enter key to turn off twhatever tool I am using. Once you turn the tool off, it is basically frozen. It can be modified but you have to use the tools under the modify or multiply tabs. Hope that helps.

sofiagloor
05-05-2012, 12:43 PM
Thank you for your help!

Snosrap
05-06-2012, 09:40 PM
Yep that's how LW and modo work. Makes life simple. On the other hand you can select the tool again and just press the "n" key and the object will get remade with the last used settings. I like that!

JonW
05-06-2012, 10:27 PM
Or if it's a simple box which aligns to X, Y or Z that you want to move press "v" (Set Value) & type a number for where you would like the selected points or poly to be set to. You may want to increase the height of a wall to a known height, it works well in this situation.

It's a very limited tool but I actually use quite a bit especially to square things up.

prometheus
05-07-2012, 02:36 AM
The absolute size tool is valuable too, Under Modify/Transform/more/absolute size..but I use it so much that I created a button directly under the modify meny and transform tab.

You can use independent values for x,y,z ..or check locked so you only need to set one value (why doesn´t all scaling values in layout have this lock option?)

for precise modification you can use set value as mention when moving points,edges or polys, you can also learn to use the grid properly so can move and rescale parts of your objects within your fixed grid size, like selecting one side of a box by selecting points in top view (wireframe mode or it won´t work) after that you simply move the points in top view till i snaps to the grid, you can set the grid in display options by using fixed and enter your snap value you want.

Michael

prometheus
05-07-2012, 02:41 AM
Move plus and translate plus is good to use to, for precise move of polys or point and edges.

Under Modify/transform/more...but you might want to drag them out of the more list and have them directly visible for faster workflow.

Michael